Hemi K frame for A body's

-

72hemidart

Reaction score
Did I read a post here about one of the members that fabricates a Hemi K Frame for A-Bodies?

First question I have to ask is what are you building?? Street car, Race car?? Do you want it to look stock?? Tubular K member?? The K member is not the problem....it is the headers!! TTI just came out with a new set of headers that work very well but the engine MUST be in the correct location. If you can get that correct then you don't need a $1500.00 dollar set of custom built headers. If you going with a tubular K member then things are easy but cost a lot more.

Attachments

• EnginePosition.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,202
  • TransPosition.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,092
I have just done this swap a short time ago and it could not of gone any easier. I was lucky....I was able to take my car to TTI and these are the headers that were made. All the parts used on this headers project came from a 1968 Dart. There were no missed matched parts used.... no one off strange parts used.... this is the way it was done back in 1968 and it works very well. If you can get the engine to sit where it shows in the picture these everything else just falls into place.

Attachments

• TroyDart10_2_11Lg01.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 1,047
  • Hemi in dart (17).jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 1,014
  • A body Hemi headers (2).jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,062
  • Untitled-3.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,111
  • PICT3879.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,094
Excellent photos. Can you elaborate on what your K is, a stock V8K?

What are the mounts/ engine brackets?

Excellent photos. Can you elaborate on what your K is, a stock V8K?

What are the mounts/ engine brackets?

I started with a 6 cyl. K member and got the engine mount kit from SS and AFX. I wish I could say that it was a good experiences buying from them but I cant. I spent over $800.00 with them and got NO verbal help from them after the sale. A few simple question about engine location was left unanswered and there were no directions with the kit. Very sad. Anyway I spent many hours fitting the engine and researching the proper location and came up with the location that you see above. I then tacked it all together and went from there. All and all not very difficult at all.

Attachments

• prod1.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 999
  • Hemi in dart (15).jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 981
  • Dart 029.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,023
  • Dart 030.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,002
  • Hemi in Dart 020.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 966
NS1RM21,
Thanks for the help I am going with a street/strip car so original is not an issue,72 dart,auto on the floor,manual steering box. I did see that TTI came out with the headers for a A-body hemi's $ 1,000.00 for their best ones. The folks at Schumacher turned me on to a gentlemen in Wisconson who will take your K-frame and convert it to a hemi K for $ 850.00 plus shipping both ways plus he tweaks a few other items for the same fee real nice guy I might add.I have spoken to HemiDenny and his tublar K is sweet plus you get the added weight savings.I have the same type of set up as you /6 k member did you have to remove the mounts with the SS & A/FX kit? It appears from the info I have gathered up so far it is best to put the engine in from the bottom up is that correct?
Thanks

!!! THANKS !!! for the excellent photos and writeup.

http://ssandafx.com/ Is the link to the mounts.

I put the engine in through the bottom and it was no problem at all..... very smooth.

I know there are a few people out there selling K members and I know for a fact that they all put the engine in different locations. If you decide to run the TTI headers just make sure the engine site in the location that is show in the photos above.

Thank you all for the kind words about my car. I have restored a few cars in the past but this car is one that I ALWAYS wanted to do, thanks again.

ns1rm21....I love the new SS A/FX stock style K frame/ TTi combo

I built my own and a few for others STRICKLY because we wanted the Hemi/trans with stock Hemi air cleaner to fit under the flat hood .........stealth

when I did my first one...around '94...there was no other way....still isn't...and keep everything under the flat hood.

I'm curious...are you saying is it taboo to re-locate the motor to fit the application? or..if you run the TTis for the stock K, the motor has to be in the above location?

probably the latter...but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss something....I might have been absent that day

Remember, if you run a tubular K (ala HemiDenny), you loose the
steering and torsion bars. That makes a great big empty for headers.

Plus, you can have the heater....and A/C....and a flat hood....no problem.

-
Back