Hemi Swap Info

-
the differences from mopar to the ls crowd is motivation vs pocket depth along with excepting money spent.

ls guys wont and will not ever spend more money on a harness with a usable one staring them in the face day in day out.

you want a harness, attach all the connectors you need and remove the remaining you dont. that is how ls harnesses get dont quickly. i dont know why the harness seems so trivial to any of you is beyond me. it should take about 8 hours max to do a factory harness for a swap and it look nice and be usable.

the ecu setup is totally different. chevy allows full user control where things can be shut off or on via hptune . that vs mopar perhaps has not allowed it in the past to be able to shut things off or on. i have never figured or even looked into why it is such a big deal. i just counted up the cost of getting the factory harness and ecu vs a stand alone. then added up the cost of paying another to tune vs me doing the tune.

mopar guys. i am sorry but only a few of you have the same brain wave activity as the ls n ferd guys. the mentality is far different and it costs everyone in the end. frugality level is expert for the cheap car owners. even their cars are cheap in every way and it shows by the massive amounts of them. we are wired far differently than those kids. yet we dont have to be but it takes the younger guys to give some effort and just dig in. spread the word and off to the races we go.

great idea on the thread topic. i sure hope it works out for everyone in the end. we need it badly. well others do anyways. im way beyond the stock ecu stuff at this point but most wont be.

Today, I successfully flashed the 2006 ECM to delete SKIM and finalized my wiring skematic/spreadsheet showing what wires go where and what to do. Because I am using an LX car hemi, I chose to run the car engine harness and modify it from there. This is because it will look neater than trying to botch a truck harness onto a car engine, with all the different accessory locations.

Brief Synopsis:
2006 Hemi Ram 5speed ECM
2006 Hemi Chrysler 300 engine harness
Littelfuse fuse box with micro relays and fuses

1 oxygen sensor pair of pins gets switched between the black ECM connector and the Orange ECM connector

The C100 connector that is located behind the intake manifold on a car harness gets pinned to either the black ECM connector, the starter relay, and one wire to white ECM connector.

The White ECM connector activates the fuel pump relay, the AC clutch Relay, connects to electronic gas pedal and brake switch.

easy enough

That is some great progress. Is the Ecu you are using for a manual trans?

The ECM I am using is for a 2006 Hemi Ram with 5 speed manual. Very few were made because it was only available in the Ram 2500 trucks.

I just used it because it has no pins exposed in the green connector socket. Green connector sockets are used for transmission connections if you have an automatic.

Any ECM can be reprogrammed for a manual trans or 904/727, but I prefer the look of a manual trans version.

the ecu setup is totally different. chevy allows full user control where things can be shut off or on via hptune . that vs mopar perhaps has not allowed it in the past to be able to shut things off or on. i have never figured or even looked into why it is such a big deal. i just counted up the cost of getting the factory harness and ecu vs a stand alone. then added up the cost of paying another to tune vs me doing the tune.

That's not necessarily true. The LS computer is not magically open and free like everyone seems to think. They are encrypted just like Mopar stuff, the difference is mostly volume. There is enough demand out there for LS tuning/modification that aftermarket companies put a lot of time and money into cracking the encryption and decoding how the computer works. The Mopar stuff doesn't work any differently in a certain sense. It still takes inputs from sensors, does math, and controls outputs. The difference is that the aftermarket doesn't see the return on investment with dealing with them for whatever reason. There are some companies (Diablosport for instance), and HP Tuners has started to get some support, but it's not nearly as deep.

I just get tired of everyone thinking that LS computers aren't encrypted or that the factory hands over the keys to the aftermarket. That's simply not how it works. All systems have security. Maybe some are worse than others, maybe even intentionally, but I find that awfully hard to believe. As a company, I wouldn't want to hand over the keys to my expensive product to some backyard mechanics who think they know more about tuning than people who do it for a living.

That's not necessarily true. The LS computer is not magically open and free like everyone seems to think. They are encrypted just like Mopar stuff, the difference is mostly volume. There is enough demand out there for LS tuning/modification that aftermarket companies put a lot of time and money into cracking the encryption and decoding how the computer works. The Mopar stuff doesn't work any differently in a certain sense. It still takes inputs from sensors, does math, and controls outputs. The difference is that the aftermarket doesn't see the return on investment with dealing with them for whatever reason. There are some companies (Diablosport for instance), and HP Tuners has started to get some support, but it's not nearly as deep.

I just get tired of everyone thinking that LS computers aren't encrypted or that the factory hands over the keys to the aftermarket. That's simply not how it works. All systems have security. Maybe some are worse than others, maybe even intentionally, but I find that awfully hard to believe. As a company, I wouldn't want to hand over the keys to my expensive product to some backyard mechanics who think they know more about tuning than people who do it for a living.

actually matt chevy and ford has released the source code key to allow ecu tuning. mopar is very unfriendly to the aftermarket in this sense. it had to be purchased for a substantial amount from mopar. then give royalties on top of it (if my memory serves me correctly). what has happened recently a few years ago. the source code was finally released to the aftermarket. that is why tuning has opened up quite a bit for mopars. now finding a tuner who can work around the vvt and spark knock issues. along with the trans issues they have to over come. the available of quality tuners is a short short list.

so know that tuning a factory ecu didnt come from hacking. it came from allowing access to the program source code to allow rewrite or overwriting the original perimeters. without the source code there is no hack. prime example of that source code is apple iphone and gov wanting the same thing. without the source code forget about it.

?? I'm confused. Are you saying you already created a webpage?

No he's saying that his project is done. A bit late for your site.

What he should do is read your site, give feedback and help make it better. I've been collecting parts for my swap for a decade, I give thanks to the trailblazers who came before me and I want to encourage those doing the swap. The reality is the more people who do the swap the more aftermarket support we'll get for it, and hopefully the cheaper it will become.

Oh and I started my own blog on doing hemi swaps here: http://drhemi.blogspot.com/
As you can see I haven't updated in a while. :(

Regards,

Joe Dokes

No he's saying that his project is done. A bit late for your site.

What he should do is read your site, give feedback and help make it better. I've been collecting parts for my swap for a decade, I give thanks to the trailblazers who came before me and I want to encourage those doing the swap. The reality is the more people who do the swap the more aftermarket support we'll get for it, and hopefully the cheaper it will become.

Oh and I started my own blog on doing hemi swaps here: http://drhemi.blogspot.com/
As you can see I haven't updated in a while. :(

Regards,

Joe Dokes

correct joe and ive already got it bookmarked. if there is anyone who wants to share and make it easier for others it is me(dont have time to make no site and certainly dont want to). mopars need a help into the 22nd century. ill share everything ive had to have nightmares over for several years.

Thanks for the support, guys!

I'd love to hear about your successes and troubles with the swap. Sharing those things from you pioneers will pave the way for more swaps to come. I too believe that sharing this knowledge will help to bring more products to market and perhaps lower the prices of those already out there by selling more volume and introducing competition.

A work in progress, with much more data to publish...

But diyhemi.com is now online.

I will update this thread as information is added.

Thank you for your help and patience!

A work in progress, with much more data to publish...

But diyhemi.com is now online.

I will update this thread as information is added.

Thank you for your help and patience!

That's awesome that you are doing this, I used ALOT of help from people on fabo to get mine together, and it can only help parts availability to have more people tackle this swap. I had my car at Mopar Nats this year, and was blown away at how relatively scarce these swaps still are. There was a high interest level and a huge amount of people wanting to do the swap but scared off by wiring and not knowing where to start with finding info. Although it's not the cheapest setup out there, with careful planning and a little fab work I was able to get mine on the road relatively cheap. Feel free to grab info out of my build thread (in signature) or pm me for other info I can help with. Thanks again!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 267
Website updated with OEM service manuals, base tune files and more. Be sure to hover over buttons in the navigation bar to access the sub-pages and get to additional content.

The LX section has been updated with a step by step instruction on converting an LX harness for stand alone purposes.

Be Aware that it is a ROUGH draft and needs pictures/revisions to be more user friendly. I will also be making a video to show how easy it can be. Approximate cost to perform this harness modification is $30. And that is NOT a typo... :)

Bare with me fellas, we will get there! For future questions or communications, email me at [email protected]

Thanks!

-
Back