Hemi Under Glass

-

64ValiantConv

Reaction score
All this time I assumed they put the engine in through the back window... wrong!

This was the hard part– fitting the 426 Hemi through the Barracuda’s front door for the first time. With the aid of a cherry-picker, Hurst personnel jockey the mill prior to making primary measurements that result in the Hemi’s final location. – Hot Rod, circa 1965, [ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/onemanrace/540699503/"]Hemi Under Glass 1.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1398/540699503_2b1fccc56e_m.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@540699503@@AMEPARAM@@2b1fccc56e[/ame]

The only wheelstander that I got to see was the original Little Red Wagon. I've always wondered if there was a window in the floorboard and/or some kind of steering when the wheels are up. They were sure a show for the fans.

Yep , That is just what they have. Well placed to. If you ever see any vids or photos it sure is a sight with just a tilt of the head. I still can't imagine going 10 seconds on the rear wheels. The first cars didn't even have the brake steering on them.

I am sure that is a joke
no way to get it in like that
only way is with the back glass removed

I have seen the 65 barracuda hemi under glass, the entire body lifted off of frame. I assume it was fiberglass. There is no way to put that motor through the door of my 65 formula s, unless you got a good shoehorn? Beside I like my small block on street and track. Try driving that heavy *** end car on the road???? Hp to weight ratio is what it is all about, and those heavy big bocks do not handle well in early a bodies, I still like to push the hondas around exit ramps! LOL

When I saw the Little Red Wagon, in 1966, Maverick was only able to pop some wheelies and make short runs because it was too windy for a full pass. Golden Triangle Drag Strip in Southeast Texas was not in the best of shape, either. It was still a pretty big thrill for the kid that I was.

Brake steering, huh? I wondered about that possibility, as I would sure want some way to get at least a little control over where I was heading. Thanks.

BC

I remember seeing, The little Red Wagon, Hemi Under glass, The Berry Wagon, and one that looked like a stagecoach alot of times when I was a kid. I even got to take my kids to see Hemi under Glass run at Infineon. Great times.

I remember seeing, The little Red Wagon, Hemi Under glass, The Berry Wagon, and one that looked like a stagecoach alot of times when I was a kid. I even got to take my kids to see Hemi under Glass run at Infineon. Great times.
Bob Riggle ran the '66 Hemi under glass car at Mopars at the strip in Vegas last year. Hopefully, he'll have it again this year. The stagecoach was there too.....or was it an old hearse....I forget. I gotta a photo here somewhere........

Im calling BS on this pic. Staged publicity pic for sure. Look at the angle of the picker, that cant get the motor in deep enough and the rear window is not even down? I think the "Little Red Wagon" had "buggy reigns" or lever operated hudraulic brakes on seperate circuits..when the front popped, he looked through a hole in the floor and used the 2 levers like tank steering, braking slightly on either side to pull it back on track

Bob Riggle ran the '66 Hemi under glass car at Mopars at the strip in Vegas last year. Hopefully, he'll have it again this year. The stagecoach was there too.....or was it an old hearse....I forget. I gotta a photo here somewhere........

.....................................................................................................
Here's a few photos I took at Mopars at the Strip last April.....enjoy!

Attachments

• 100_0487.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 276
  • 100_0488.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 276
  • 100_0489.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 268
-
Back