Heres why the rear lower quarters rust out..

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
My car has major cancer in the lower rear quarters.. geez I wonder why?

Galvanised nails, screws, a bunge cord, a pencile and a guitar amp cord?

20181124_154740_zpsgy30vg65.jpg

20181124_154635_zpsilceue6l.jpg

This is why we cant have nice things and how you get ants....

:rofl:

All that stuff wouldn't be much of a problem if the drain plugs did not get blocked so that rain water didn't collect there. Also, they obviously went with the LOWEST bidder on trunk weatherstripping which allowed the rain water in anyway.

All that stuff wouldn't be much of a problem if the drain plugs did not get blocked so that rain water didn't collect there. Also, they obviously went with the LOWEST bidder on trunk weatherstripping which allowed the rain water in anyway.
Agree! Look at the pick ups in the last 3 decades. They all rust out in the same areas. Box sitdes, cab corners, rockers etc. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::bs_flag:

That rear quarter looks like damage from salt exposure.

What does the rest of the underside look like?

I can still remember..........when I had bought my V code RR used from a friend it was maybe a year old. Soon after, I was up early one morning the sun was low in the sky across the barracks parking lot. There was a 70 Satellite towards the sun, and had a "weird glow." Turns out the sun was streaming COMPLETELY THROUGH the trunk from left to right, there were already huge holes rusted through the quarters and trunk. Car had "east" plates, NJ or somewhere. This was NAS Miramar, San Diego

N, yeh, I wish TO HELL I had that car back!! There reason there are "funny" (Imperial?) turn signals in the grille is because I had 4537s (A/C landing lights) in the bumper holes

81sruds.jpg

No salt on this car. I got it out of a barn about 12 years ago. It was my daily for about 10 years in Tahoe, so lots of cinders and driving in the rain and snow..

The underside is clean, just the rear quarters are garbage.

They never looked this bad until I put the car on the lift and started working on the rear end. I swear every day I would sweep up 5 pounds of crap that just fell off/out of the car...

Ha, don't forget marbles and the actual bank payment book for the car, with only one slip ripped out!

The joke was if I just keep working on her soon she'll weigh in at a negative number..

You wouldnt believe just how much crap was falling off/out of the rear quarters...

You also have to remember that the tire picking up dirt and hauling it into the wheel wells is like a sandblaster eating away at the metal. If Chrysler used a little thicker metal in those area's maybe our wheel wells would have stood up better. And of course problem is worse in snow belt because they use salt or sand when it snows.

You also have to remember that the tire picking up dirt and hauling it into the wheel wells is like a sandblaster eating away at the metal. If Chrysler used a little thicker metal in those area's maybe our wheel wells would have stood up better. And of course problem is worse in snow belt because they use salt or sand when it snows.

That was my opinion as well, as you know rocks and crap fly up and chip the paint under there.
I'm having a hard time actually making myself do it, but after fixing those rusted quarters I am considering doing the rubberized coating under the paint on them.
You know, just along that bottom strip and about 2" up the sides.

Just not sure it would be worth seeing that on the panels though.:D

When I put the quarter patch on I use this on the lower pinch area instead of welding.
That way there is no place that doesn't have paint on it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTayWnKVFVnBI8FJL2T37_Dhb5thBpdfQJmN25E4096qsXmQgeP6Q.jpg

You%20Need%20to%20Know%20about%20Aluminum%20Vehicle%20Repair%20%26%20Crash%20Durable%20Adhesives.jpg

-
Back