Hernias

-

mikesduster

Reaction score
Anyone ever have one and what does it feel like??? If it is,what do I need to look for??? Ive been having some pains and my wife thinks its a hernia.

I just had surgery last friday for an inguinal hernia that I first noticed about 12 weeks ago. I first noticed a small lump on my groin and I was having some intestinal pain.

A small bulge on my lower abdomen. I could feel it, though it wasn't painful and it didn't get too bad before I had it repaired.

I had surgery at 7am and was home by 10am. They made a 2" cut and put a "boot" inside...like we used to do on the old style tube tires. I was up and around the same day, healed within a week and doing everything except heavy lifting. That had to wait about a month.

I had a double, one on each side. As GaryS said, you'll notice the bulge either on the left or right side. Mine was to the point where I could push it in. I had the mesh surgery. You definitely want to get it taken care of. If the intestine gets constricted in the bulge, you only have about 4 hours before you have major problems. (What the doc told me) The surgery is a piece of cake but the following 3 days aren't very pleasant. Good luck.

Thanks for the info guys!!!! I had a CT Scan last yr on my stomach and they said I had a hernia...I said "WHAT??" and they said,yep. I had NO PAIN what so ever till about 2-3 weeks ago. Guess Ill go see my dr again.

I had what was labeled as "mild hernia" that didn't require surgery. The muscles were strained, but didn't tear. It was painful. It felt like some ran up behind me and kicked me in the nuts. It felt like this for a week and then it finally subsided.

I've had three of them over a 25 year period! Not something that I ever care to go through again. The first unexpected sneeze sent me into orbit! Yee haa!

I've had three of them over a 25 year period! Not something that I ever care to go through again. The first unexpected sneeze sent me into orbit! Yee haa!

Yep!! Coughing, sneezing, and laughing are not fun at the moment. Hopefully once the stitches are out this will subside. The op was a breeze but they kept me overnight. Lets see.... go home to three screaming teenagers, 3 dogs , and a squawking bird or stay overnight in the hospital with 2 pretty nurses doting over me. I'll stay!! No argument from me...lol!!!

I had one around 12 years ago (groin) basically my stomach muscles tore and my lower intestine was poking through and getting pinched. F'n hurt like hell!! Went to Shouldice clinic in toronto to have surgery, all they do is hernias, about 5000 a year. One word of advice, the next morning drink prune juice and lots of it!! Coming out the next morning, the softer the better..... trust me!!

Get it taken care of - pronto. Two types, one where it's in your abdomen, one where your small intestine drops into your scrotum.

My right nut swelled up like the size of a grapefruit. No ****, the skin was TIGHT. That's because I put off going to the doctor until it got irritated, and then infected. That's a whole different ballgame. Pun intended. I woke up with my balls in a mesh sling.

After the surgery, it started to hurt like hell, doc told me to take a warm bath and some Advil. I laughed, but it worked.

After the surgery, it started to hurt like hell, doc told me to take a warm bath and some Advil. I laughed, but it worked.

Advil ?!? For that kind of pain ?!?
Certainly it's a great way to reduce swelling , but how did it work on the actual surgical pains ??

I Like Vike :toothy7::tongue3::love1::color::eek:fftheai::sleepy1::happy9: Makes ya feel all warm , fuzzy and care-free .

btw , I've had 2 of 'em ; first one in 1991 (that one was the worst ! couldn't even stand-up ; felt like I had to pee all the time . that one required a screen ! )
second one in 1995 . A simple stitch-the-torn-muscles-back-together .
Got a local anesthetic for that one ; and when all was said and done , I walked right-out of the surgery centre .

2 hours later , it was time for some 7.5/750 Vicodin ...
... and a friend's company , so that he could keep all of the early ('64-'70 ) Moody Blues albums running on my record player :mrgreen: .

Herniated Groin muscles are no joke . All the recounts here are factual ; no b.s. !
Get it squared , pronto !

Advil ?!? For that kind of pain ?!?
Certainly it's a great way to reduce swelling , but how did it work on the actual surgical pains ??

I Like Vike :toothy7::tongue3::love1::color::eek:fftheai::sleepy1::happy9: Makes ya feel all warm , fuzzy and care-free .

I thought the doc was just trying to get me off the phone when he told me that. I thought "Ok, #$%&*!, I'm calling you back at about 2am when this doesn't work. Sure as hell, it worked.

Doc explained that the Advil was for inflammation. The real pain relief was the warm bath. I'm telling you, it worked wonders. I guess I had layers of stitches that are painful when they start to pull. The warm bath eases the pain.

I had an Inguinal hernia left side:butthead:. it was repaired when I had my lower back fused, both surgeries failed had it done again ,mesh hurts the most and takes a while to mend, sooner You jump on it the better off you are.
Major pain and scare when your insides start falling out and the only thing catching it is your skin bulged out and stressed like a water balloon!
So much for the man of steel mentality ...LOL!

I'm a little more humble now.

No great words of wisdom here, but in hopes that "laughter is the best medicine" I present you this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8Ow1nlafOg"]YouTube - ‪"Weird Al" Yankovic - Living With A Hernia‬‏[/ame]

:mrgreen:

On the prune juice bit...oh yeah..that first big dump just about caused me to pass out on the john! I was sweating bullets before I was done! Anyone who hasn't ever had to go through it, don't have a clue. My first was the worst. 3 days in the hospital. I could barely get out of bed to walk to the bathroom without the nurse, who by the way wasn't no hottie by any means! The second two surgeries, they loaded me up on drugs and I levitated out of the hospital and my girlfriend drove me home. When the drugs wore off, my Kryptonite came back and I was a mere mortal again begging for more pain killers! Also....that first time in the sack with the lady....ouch, ouch, and more ouch!!! I told her to be gentle with me too:)

If you are experiencing pain from a hernia near your stomach it is possible that it could be a Hiatal hernia, this means your stomach and lower portion of esophagus have moved above your diaphram. This is very painful indeed. If you had recent abdominal surgery it is also possible that it could be a incisional hernia, which is where the bowel protrudes through the insion site, also painful and can get complicated if the bowel is strangulated or twisted. Get it checked out and let us know....

-
Back