Hesitation issues - need help

-
Yep the Holley Street Avengers are a great 'out of the box' carb for the most part, I have one on a 245ci 'Hemi' straight-six in another Valiant and it loves it. Only thing I had to weak was the idle (a tiny bit) and the power valve - just one size earlier (higher vac) than standard ended up being perfect.

I tend to time at idle, then turn the idle down, then advance the timing again followed by an idle down adjustment. This usually gets you where you need to be. If it makes it hard to start when hot (say you took timing to 16BTDC at idle) then wind it back 2 degrees and see how you go from there.

Cheers - boingk
See my reply above to boingk for the tweaks I made, plus I did adjust the idle a bit when I was adjusting the timing. It was hard to start at first when hot, but not so now.

10* initial isn't enough timing. Turn it up to 16-18 and see how it reacts. Then tailor the mechanical advance to hit your total number.

I bet it has pretty significant rpm drop when put in gear from your p/n idle RPM.

Solved to some is a horrible tune up to others. If it smells like a fuel truck out the tailpipes at idle, it's not right.
Also, by "solved" I meant that the carb swap fixed the problems I was having and the defect was clearly the culprit. You are right that getting it properly tuned is another matter entirely - and still a mystery for me that I'm working on!

Can you describe how to "tailor the mechanical advance?" Thanks!

The mechanical advance is generally governed by two weights attached to throw-out arms on the distributor shaft. As the RPM increases, the weights get thrown out further and dial in more advance.

To dial in your advance, take the weights off (usually soldered on) and put new ones in their place.

- boingk

-
Back