Hey plumbers! Toilet replacement questions.

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
I know there are a few plumbers on here so here we go...

We just moved into the new house and I don't like the toilet (sits too low and it is old, 1988) so we bought a new one a Jacuzzi suck-o-matic 5000.

I figured that there would be some work that needs to be done to the subfloor and there is, I am just wondering how much you think I should cut out and replace?
It is an old cast iron pipe with what I am guessing is a leaded on flange, should I cut that off and get one of those rubber compression closet flanges like this...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gtjMgkFe2s&feature=fvw"]YouTube- Replace toilet flang with repair flang[/ame]

Where can I get one today, Lowes, HD? I would like to have this all wrapped up by tonight sometime. Or should I just replace the subflooring around the flange, clean it up, replace the linoleum, put the new wax seal on and bolt the new throne down?

100_5859.jpg

100_5857.jpg

100_5858.jpg

The newer toilets have a totally different foot print in most cases.
You cant really know how much flooring to replace until the vynil is removed.
If that is vynil flooring glued there you wont get it up in a day. Cut the cast iron under the house and replace flange down and out with pvc. Connect the 2 with a rubber coupling commonly called Fernco no hub coupling. The pipes will be 2 different sizes too. The plastic may slide inside the cast iron which is a good thing.

Wow looks turn of the century. jk, No plumber, fitter. I think if it is real soft around the area you may have to tear up some floor, 2' square may get it, check joist , see if damaged, if so. sister and provide nailers. replace with plywood. Easy way out is to do what was previously done 2 lag bottom, threaded top studs. measure first to see if you think wax ring will seal/compress a little. If no dice? You may have to cut back beyond that old flair into the horizontal section of old pipe and find an adaptor to pvc and go with the modern flange. have fun:-D

Looks like the repair flange would be the way to go to me. Lowes or home depot should have one. Our house has two layers of sub floor, when I replaced some of it in the bathroom I only had to replace the top layer. Good luck!

when you buy the wax gasket get the repair/remodel one that is mounted in plastic it's generally a better seal when changing old to new

OK, we have a sub-subfloor to work with! Seeing as how we are going to replace all the old galvanized pipe with PEX this summer and maybe add a new bathroom upstairs I think for now what I'm going to do is cut out a bigger section, patch it, slap some new vinyl on it and put the new crapper in.
The new seal that came with the toilet is the kind that is mounted in plastic like cannucky was talking about.

My work has one of those jet powered bath tubs that they used for home shows just sitting upstairs and my boss told me to make it go away so we are going to replace the current tub in this bathroom with it this summer when we do all the PEX replacement and I will replace the floors in the bathroom then.

Any other hints/tricks dealing with this old cast iron/lead flange that I should know about?

I used my grandpas old chisel to cut out the hole... just an excuse to use an old tool, I'm getting my skill saw out next :-D

100_5860.jpg

100_5861.jpg

Only thing I can add right now is, Methane gas can be much more than a fart joke. Plug that pipe temporarily.

Yup, I have a big fat bunch of paper towels plugging it right now, the bathroom vent is on and the window is open. I trimmed the vinyl away abut 2' and I have dry subfloor with in 1 1/2'

I think once you install the repair flandge over that lead Top piece your crapper will sit up a tad.When I did mine like yours my lead flandge was flat to my subfloor.I went and got a repair flandge with plastic colar that fit down into the pipe.No leak,and I am not a plumber.

Great Nikki came home and instead of just a little patch on the vinyl flooring now she wants to change all of it and the trim. So much for having it done tonight :angry7:

J.R. That looks like $hit! Sorry could help it...well another project started...several more made!

Good luck...

Aloha

BTW I remember the last time you tried plumbing...alot of swear words and cussing going on...

remember the kitchen sink....

If the sub is good, just replace the studs, fill in the finish floor with your choice(wood, bondo...) then get a wax seal with the attached neoprene sleeve. Done.

Might aswell tear it up,fresh around the new throne and bath is always good!Once done,NEXT!Enjoy the new place!:cheers:

Jacuzzi suck-o-matic 5000.

JR when we had our house built I told the plumber to install the biggest toilet that he could get in our master bath. No lie, this thing is huge and awesome. My feet barely touch the floor and I'm 6'1". One thing I can't stand is a toilet made for kids. Good luck with the plumbing and pex is the only way to go.

Every suggestion here is a rig job. Go to a plumbing supply and get a brass flange. Clean the pipe outside as best you can and slip the flange over it. Then peen it down inside the flange.Take a torch and flux and heat the edge of the lead carefully and wash it with the flux brush and melt the led to the brass. You may need a roll of 50/50 solder for filler. Work your way around slowly and work it similar to leading a panel on a car. Add brass screws in the flange when done to secure it to the floor. This will keep your commode from rocking when it is bolted to the flange.When youre done you have a lifetime repair. Any questions pm me.

Hope your reno brings you as much satisfaction as it does for my hero Al Bundy!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH4fQdu7qYM"]YouTube- Al Bundy`s Ferguson[/ame]

Every suggestion here is a rig job. Go to a plumbing supply and get a brass flange. Clean the pipe outside as best you can and slip the flange over it. Then peen it down inside the flange.Take a torch and flux and heat the edge of the lead carefully and wash it with the flux brush and melt the led to the brass. You may need a roll of 50/50 solder for filler. Work your way around slowly and work it similar to leading a panel on a car. Add brass screws in the flange when done to secure it to the floor. This will keep your commode from rocking when it is bolted to the flange.When youre done you have a lifetime repair.
This is exactly how my Uncle (retired plumber) did mine 15 years ago. Not a problem since. IMO if you do a rig job your asking for problems in the future.

we just did tthis to our bathroom we had tyhe plumbers do it what they did was cut the flange replaced it with a plastic pipe and it was a like plastic and metal flange. and they just used a fitting to secure it to the cast iro pipes.

Every suggestion here is a rig job. Go to a plumbing supply and get a brass flange. Clean the pipe outside as best you can and slip the flange over it. Then peen it down inside the flange.Take a torch and flux and heat the edge of the lead carefully and wash it with the flux brush and melt the led to the brass. You may need a roll of 50/50 solder for filler. Work your way around slowly and work it similar to leading a panel on a car. Add brass screws in the flange when done to secure it to the floor. This will keep your commode from rocking when it is bolted to the flange.When youre done you have a lifetime repair. Any questions pm me.

Thats the guy I wanted to hear from! Thanks DD! All the old pipes are getting ripped out and replaced this summer.

As I was cleaning the old flange I was looking for where the lead ended and the cast iron started...the whole pipe at least as far as I could get to was all lead!?!?!

I trimmed away the part that stuck up and mushroomed out and installed one of the pcv rubber seal flanges with a 1/4" spacer so it would sit flush with the 3/4" subfloor. I made up a patch with some scrap 3/4" ply I had, measured about 15 times in 20 directions, broke out the old Craftsman aluminum housing jigsaw (guy at work had it in the back of his pick up on the way to the dump after work, I walked by and grabbed it) and got it right on the first try! The new throne is in place and solid as a rock.
We went to LowDeopt and looked at the vinyl flooring then decided that we liked the marble tile better so we will be doing that after we redo the plumbing in the house and install the new bath tub this summer. I'm just glad we didn't rip up the vinyl floor before we went to the store!

Thanks for the help guys!:cheers:

Thats the guy I wanted to hear from! Thanks DD! All the old pipes are getting ripped out and replaced this summer.

As I was cleaning the old flange I was looking for where the lead ended and the cast iron started...the whole pipe at least as far as I could get to was all lead!?!?!

I trimmed away the part that stuck up and mushroomed out and installed one of the pcv rubber seal flanges with a 1/4" spacer so it would sit flush with the 3/4" subfloor. I made up a patch with some scrap 3/4" ply I had, measured about 15 times in 20 directions, broke out the old Craftsman aluminum housing jigsaw (guy at work had it in the back of his pick up on the way to the dump after work, I walked by and grabbed it) and got it right on the first try! The new throne is in place and solid as a rock.
We went to LowDeopt and looked at the vinyl flooring then decided that we liked the marble tile better so we will be doing that after we redo the plumbing in the house and install the new bath tub this summer. I'm just glad we didn't rip up the vinyl floor before we went to the store!

Thanks for the help guys!:cheers:

Sorry I missed the thread until just know, as usual Dare Devil gave stellar advice. Glad to see another knowledgeable plumber on here.

-
Back