Hey Welders! Opinions needed on a good helmet

-

CudaChick1968

Leanna ~ The Mistress of Metal
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
I'm at my work table like usual, and from across the shop I've been hearing stuff like this for a few years now.

"Dammit!"

[zzzzzzzzzzt zzzzzzzzzt zzzzzzzzzzt]

"Geez, this thing is such a piece of &*$!#!"

[zzzzzzzzzzt zzzzzzzzzt zzzzzzzzzzt]

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhh DAMMITTTTT!"

My man really needs a new welding helmet ........and I've been thinking of getting him one for Christmas. Listening to that is getting a bit old and is more than a little distracting.

The glass is all scratched up, the plastic is broken in a couple places and the flip-up action flips up ... and then it comes crashing right back down. It's gotta be 15 or 20 years old and watching him use it is just .............. well, painful. He doesn't use it every day but I'd say a couple times a month on average; I don't want to spend a fortune on an occasional-use tool but it's past time to be replaced. Since tools are never a bad investment, I could use some input.

What should I get him?

Thanks in advance!!! :-D

.............An auto darkening helmet is the only 1 2 consider....or so i've been told numerous times......there less than $100.00 at alotta places..........kim..............

If he likes the flipdown, just buy another. filter and clear lenses are replaceable. 25-40 bux.
But if you want to drop a small bundle for a nice Xmas gift, you can opt for the auto darkening, 100-400 bux, by lincoln, miller or hobart

I got one of them auto ones from Harbor Freight and it works good.

If he works a lot, looks for a better one than the HF model. The HF works fine and is good for a hobbyist, I wouldn't use one if welding all day.

I had a Jackson that was real nice until it walked off. Find one with a large window.

I also have the HF one, on sale for $35.

Was easy to adjust to get a good shade to still see, but be protected.

I'd get the $6 replacement plan on that one, though :)

Before you concern yourself with price above quality, ask yourself what his vision is worth. My Miller Elite is around $300, but my sight is priceless!

The Miller is light (comfortable to use ll day), has the big viewing window, and replaceable cover lenses on both sides of the electric lens. Shade, reaction time, and after-arc delay are all adjustable. JMHO! (And an early Merry Christmas!)

Leanna, Go by your local welding supply store and take a look at what they offer. Mine is a Vision Arc One. $130 i think. I've had it for years. A big range in the auto hood. You'll be glad ya did. Saves the neck too. Kinda like motorcycle helmets. If ya got a ten dollar head, buy a $10 helmet. If ya got a $10 set of eyes, buy a $10 hood.
Small Block

I got one of them auto ones from Harbor Freight and it works good.
X2 same here, and I have thier 220volt flux/argon welder and it works good too.
but as with ANY harbour Freight stuff it is for the hobbist like stated above. If you are welding for 8 hours a day I would prolly get a more $$ one.

Tractor supply sells Holbart auto darking ones for under $100.00.
I caught one of them for sale for $60.00 it works great, there are no batterys to change because it is solar powered.
Never will I own a flip down helmet after buying this one.

If all you want is a flip down one I have one I can send to you. Just pay shipping. It's brand new. I have not even opened the box. But honestly your better off with an auto darkening one. Make life so much better.

Before you concern yourself with price above quality, ask yourself what his vision is worth. My Miller Elite is around $300, but my sight is priceless!

The Miller is light (comfortable to use ll day), has the big viewing window, and replaceable cover lenses on both sides of the electric lens. Shade, reaction time, and after-arc delay are all adjustable. JMHO! (And an early Merry Christmas!)

he nailed it...

the HF and other cheap helmets work great... but the problem is the reaction time... they are slow compared to a good helmet... so while it works great, your fryin your eyes everytime you start...

i have a Radnor that i have been using for about 3 years with no issues! i have used a friends lincoln and miller helmets and they are great to...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Radnor-IX540-0700-Darkening-Sensitivity-Adjustment/dp/B004Z4TBB6"]Amazon.com: Radnor IX540-0700 54Vi Select Fixed Front Welding Helmet With 5 1/4" X 4 1/2" Variable Shades 40373 Auto Darkening Lens With Sensitivity Adjustment, 4-Mode Delay And Grind Setting: Toys & Games[/ame]

Attachments

• AFX Rear (6).JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 157
  • AFX Rear (72).JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 154
These guys got you on the right track...The only thing I will add, is I bought a cheapy auto with no battery, it just charges when you use it. I thought that would be cool no batteries to worry about..not...every time I go use it, it would be dead and I would have to charge in the sun light for a 1/2 hr or so and you know how patient us men are LOL.. Get the one with the batteries and that charges at the same time that way if it dead you can just put new batteries in it and go.... also if your shop isn;t heated all the while, I bring helmet inside my house, I don;t think it's good for them to leave in the cold just don;t tell my wife

The harbor freight ones you can sometimes score the auto dark plain black ones for $30. Watch for coupons as well. The manual says normal battery live is 6 years but by that time the lense will be scratched up which they do have replacements. Ive seen them as cheap as about $35. Check your car mags like Car Craft, Mopar Muscle and others they often have coupons for deals.

I have a HF but it hurts my eyes if on a all day project regardless of how dark I have it set. Like someone else said, I feel it's slow to react. If you're going to get him one, get him a good one.

Wow, thanks for the great replies, links and advice ya'll! I have some research to do now.

A good Dark Helmet ought to work well. :grin:
View attachment 280025

God I love SpaceBalls.

Why give up the free entertainment???

Leave it to you Doug ... you're so right!!! But usually after all the zzzzzzzzzt'ing and cussing from his side of the room, I hear "HEY!!! Can you give me a hand for a sec?" ........ so I'll miss out on the emotional outbursts but I WILL get more work done. :-D

Leanna, Go by your local welding supply store and take a look at what they offer. Mine is a Vision Arc One. $130 i think. I've had it for years. A big range in the auto hood. You'll be glad ya did. Saves the neck too. Kinda like motorcycle helmets. If ya got a ten dollar head, buy a $10 helmet. If ya got a $10 set of eyes, buy a $10 hood.
Small Block

Bill, Hillbilly Hell has no "local" anything except a Sonic and a Subway and a bunch of guys who sit in rocking chairs at the farmers co-op watching paint dry (or whatever it is they do there every day). The co-op has a couple rolls of mig wire on the shelf but they want $80 for a cheesey plastic helmet like he has now. So thank God I have you guys! :D:D:D

Keep 'em coming if there's anything else out there in the welding helmet world.

HF for me but I see about 10 minutes of arc a year...I bought a "Chameleon" (only name on it, looks identical to the Cheaper HF one but it was silver) for 5 bucks at Pomona, auto darkening. Was very slow and erratic, it would strobe if you looked up at the sun and waved your hand over the light (tested it like that) Took it apart and found a CR44 battery in there, dead as a doornail. 1.50 later it was working great. Used it for 5 more years off and on (more off) and finally bought a new HF one with a coupon and a gift card, free to me. Seems to work fine. 1/25,000 of a second, that seems pretty fast to me...http://www.harborfreight.com/blue-flame-design-auto-darkening-welding-helmet-91214.html I didnt get the red skull, it would freak out my 5 year old....

As a highly respected welder I know once said,"I won't trust my eyes to a battery" !! Just a point to ponder !!

-
Back