heyy

-

TXcharger07

I'm awesome
Reaction score
I'm Gaston, I go to Texas State Technical College in Waco,TX for automotive technology. I somehow got convinced to get rid of my 2005 Dodge Magnum RT and pick up a old car...

Ok so I got a 1974 Plymouth Duster... 318, 3speed on the tree

I'll get some pics up once I can get it a bath.

anybody know whether or not I can convert it to a floor shifter?

If not I guess I need to find a A-833.. though I've considered a 5speed swap out of a dakota.

other plans include a 400hp 318 and this thing being a street monster and maybe a little bit of spray.

Welcome to fabo ! Sounds like a great project .Have fun with that Duster .
We'd love to see pics now and as it progresses!

Welcome to FABO Gaston.
You can convert to a floor shift, it's straight forward. A lot of 3 speed cars came from the factory with floor shift.
You need:
A shifter with linkage and boot plus trim ring.
A 3 or 4 speed floor hump.
And to do it right, a floor shift column complete to match.
If you have manual steering, the shaft length is different than power steering (it's longer on manual)
Everything else is the same.
An A-833 requires the same except you need the trans and shifter complete, and check your bellhousing for the right bolt pattern. Most V-8 bellhousings have both patterns.
The 4 speed cars had a reverse light on the dash (the bottom near the ash tray) if that matters to you.
Good luck with the build and let us know how it goes.
Yes, pics would be nice!

I'm Gaston, I go to Texas State Technical College in Waco,TX for automotive technology. I somehow got convinced to get rid of my 2005 Dodge Magnum RT and pick up a old car...

I'll get some pics up once I can get it a bath.

anybody know whether or not I can convert it to a floor shifter?

If not I guess I need to find a A-833.. though I've considered a 5speed swap out of a dakota.

other plans include a 400hp 318 and this thing being a street monster and maybe a little bit of spray.

Hey I'm doing a full resto/mod on my 74 duster, I went for auto tech at Wyotech and Im now I'm at Hot Rod Institute....where I'm doing my restoration.

Welcome to FABO Gaston.
You can convert to a floor shift, it's straight forward. A lot of 3 speed cars came from the factory with floor shift.
You need:
A shifter with linkage and boot plus trim ring.
A 3 or 4 speed floor hump.
And to do it right, a floor shift column complete to match.
If you have manual steering, the shaft length is different than power steering (it's longer on manual)
Everything else is the same.
An A-833 requires the same except you need the trans and shifter complete, and check your bellhousing for the right bolt pattern. Most V-8 bellhousings have both patterns.
The 4 speed cars had a reverse light on the dash (the bottom near the ash tray) if that matters to you.
Good luck with the build and let us know how it goes.
Yes, pics would be nice!

The guy I bought it from gave me a hurst indy 3 speed shifter and a bag full of parts... I wonder if it's the link-aging for the shifter. If I post up pics of it can yall let me know? Is there a write up somewhere on it?

thanks for the info! that helps a bunch. I've got a friend thats gonna hook me up with a built 8.8 rear out of a mustang, so I might not do this swap just yet and try to find a a-833od. I think it can hold the power I plan on doing... if not.. then we'll see what happens.

And I will get pics of it tomorrow for yall! :) it's a cream-ish color with 15in rallye' wheels.

thats awesome about your wyotech, I thought about it but I didn't want to die of boredom in Wyoming lol what do they teach you at the hot rod place? the thing that upset's me about this school is they teach you more about dealership work than hot-rodding.. but of course not everyone will be doing that... so haha but I'm liking it. I should be done this fall or next spring

[QUOTE

[/QUOTE]

Welcome to FABO TXcharger.

That's kind of unusual combo: a 318 with the 3 on the tree. Usually, it's a slant six with a column manual tranny and the 318 3spd stick cars were floor mounted.

Good luck with your project.

thats awesome about your wyotech, I thought about it but I didn't want to die of boredom in Wyoming lol what do they teach you at the hot rod place? the thing that upset's me about this school is they teach you more about dealership work than hot-rodding.. but of course not everyone will be doing that... so haha but I'm liking it. I should be done this fall or next spring

Thats why I got out of Wyotech, Not interested in doing dealership work and the school wasn't what it was cracked up to be. So I got out and started over here at HRI. All we work on is Hot/Street Rods, Muscle Cars, and custom motorcycles (choppers, bobbers, customs.......no rice). We do chassis fabrication, custom sheet metal, refinishing/paint, custom upholstery, and high performance. We get to work on our own cars there too.

Thats why I got out of Wyotech, Not interested in doing dealership work and the school wasn't what it was cracked up to be. So I got out and started over here at HRI. All we work on is Hot/Street Rods, Muscle Cars, and custom motorcycles (choppers, bobbers, customs.......no rice). We do chassis fabrication, custom sheet metal, refinishing/paint, custom upholstery, and high performance. We get to work on our own cars there too.

wow that is really cool!! My cousin is Skratch off of Overhaulin'... so I'm hopefully gonna go work with him when I'm done. :)

we get to work on our own stuff here to.. but it's not like everyday.

Welcome aboard Gaston! It's wonderful to have you and your Duster here with us. Make yourself at home and enjoy the absolute best Mopar site on the 'net -- you'll learn stuff here they won't teach you in school. :-D

-
Back