High Lift Leaf Springs

-

blackace

The KING of flats
Reaction score
I ordered a set of high lift leaf springs from JC Whitney

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...005960/N-111+1973+200728541+600003409/c-10101

These are listed for 73 and up. Well I just picked them up for $106.47 for my 71. They currently offer free shipping on orders over $75. They are priced at $109.99 and the free shipping and they charged $2.99 for the over sized shipping which brought the total to $112.98. I used coupon code AAWLA07 for 20% off which brings the total to 110.97. You can only use one coupon per order. When I checked out the shipping was adjusted to $18.98 from $22.00 with a total of 106.97. Great I thought even better. But when I received my confirmation order it said $132.97. WHAT?!! So I called them up told her the whole thing and her total came to $106.47, $.50 lower than before. I saying to myself I can save every penny I can. LOL!

So we'll see how they are. Hopefully it won't take to long. I still need to order green bearings and get them installed. Change the R&P in the pumpkin and do the brakes before I can install everything. But hopefully it will be done soon. Still need to install the motor and tranny too but that is pretty much ready to go.

So your dart is a 71 and the leaf springs say 73 and up. Are you sure they will fit? I found the same exact thing and have a 72 Dart Swinger and wondered this same question. Let me know if they fit. Good luck!

-Jake

The springs themselves are the same. The only difference in a body springs is that there is a large & small front bushing outer diameter & there are 2 different bolt sizes also. I hope you don;t paln to do any racing as you probably won't get much traction raising the rear end 3 inches. Guess ya can't beat the price though & especially if your rear end is dragging on the ground lime most of the a bodies tend to do at their age. Good luck with your spring swap. You'll probably want to get some new front hangers & rear shackles as they probably will be rusted & rotted to your old springs, (jus ta thought as I have had to replace them on several cars when changing springs).

I bought two of them going out on a limb and they fit perfectly. They really only raise it about 2 inches so traction isn't an issue at all. Get some new shocks thought if you have bad ones because it can really make a difference and might as well while everything else is taken apart. I have a 72 Dart Swinger btw. Thanks!

great i have been waiting to see if they fit and no one has posted yet thanks DartSwinger72 now i will order a couple sets for myself.

DB15, there probably just like stock with an inch overbend in them. Or 2 inchs if so ordered that way.

I bought the same exact ones on the jcwhitney site and they were great. I'm not sure about SS Springs as I didn't look around too much. The leaf spring has 6 leaves on it so it has good stability. I got new front and rear shocks at the same time and the ride is perfect. It really makes it look better too, stops the sag in the back. It's a great product.

ook i thought maybe they were same, but how do the SS springs make your car perform better from these?

Super Stock Springs are biased to the right. That is, the right spring pack has an extra leaf, and more camber to counter the torque of a hard launch. On a launch, the pinion wants to climb, and the axle housing wants to rotate lifting one wheel. These springs were designed to work with a pinion snubber and a longer rear shock. They have been around since the 60's because the work pretty well, don't cost a lot, and are legal in the stock classes.

On the street, if balanced handling is a goal, use something else. The XHD's should have the same rate and camber on both sides. It really depends on your intended use for the car... drag racing with an occasional cruise, then SS springs should be your choice. If you plan to drive the car to work in traffic on a daily basis, and race it a couple times a year, the XHD's will probably make you happier.

WOW! Sorry guys for the late response.

I haven't put them on yet but hopefully soon. I just brought my axles to the machine shop today to install new studs and green bearings. It looks like a still may be a bit yet anyway. I went to install the springs and the axle housing and noticed rust holes in the frame rails where the shackles bolt to. So I have to fix them before I install the springs.

-
Back