High volume oil pump? or normal

-

66 Barracuda

Reaction score
For a medium build 360 with hydraulic flat tappets aiming for 5-6000 rpm/350-390 horse.
High volume or OEM on the oil pump? :cheers:

i like the high vol.pump i like to see good oil psi.i also like the deep pan to go with it.and i also restrict the oil to the top.and thats an easy job only takes about 15min.iv dun them like that and turnt them 7500 and never lost a bottom end.ya i know thats more than you asked.just triying to help

some people talk abut high press/high vol pumps but my engine buildertold me they do nothing but rob power, high quality stock pump is best. almost everyone i talk to who races and knows what they're doing say the same.

It comes down to bearing clearest .003 or more a high volume pump is good to have. A deep oil pan is good too so not to run the pan dry.

Oil cools also, a high flow of oil helps keep the bearings cool. Those little pits on bearings is sometimes cause by the bearings overheating and the coating melting away.

Oil pumps do suck up power but you have to run one, lol. For many street cars with a fresh rebuilt motor they are not needed. The factory did use them in the old 340 motors and many of those motors lasted a very long time being driven year round and not babied 8)

As long as the pan does not run dry a high volume pump will not hurt the motor but not running one might so when in doubt I feel its best to use one.

some people talk abut high press/high vol pumps but my engine buildertold me they do nothing but rob power, high quality stock pump is best. almost everyone i talk to who races and knows what they're doing say the same.
I probly should let this alone. i think ill think about it.

I run hi vol, so it takes a couple HP's more to spin, may make a big difference later in life when things start to wear out.
Or not eating your crank when something goes wrong.... You just never know.

Racers tear down their motors once every season to check for wear and replace what is needed--some after every race even. Those boys can get away with thin rings and lower oil pressures cause they replace parts often.

stock i have like 430hp and i have a stock one that gets 70psi at cold start

-
Back