Highest flowing sbm heads?

-

Mean416

Reaction score
I've looked through the head flow pages, and generally noticed, there's no heads out there that significantly surpass 300 cfm.

What's the highest flowing sbm head, that's not some exotic thing requiring a race block?

What would a max ported W2 head flow?

Just curious because I have this stroker 418 short block, and if the best head I can get flows 300 ish cfm, then the most NA power I can get is 600ish, right?

280-290 cfm @ .600 and 310-320 cfm @.700 is what I recall for ported W2's

Last edited:
I've looked through the head flow pages, and generally noticed, there's no heads out there that significantly surpass 300 cfm.

What's the highest flowing sbm head, that's not some exotic thing requiring a race block?

Just curious because I have this stroker 418 short block, and if the best head I can get flows 300 ish cfm, then the most NA power I can get is 600ish, right?
How much money do you want to spend chasing bigish power on a platform of which there are heads already out there that come CNC ported and will support approx 600 hp with the right combination. If you want more power than that without getting a race block and using W8's OR w9's then there will be compromises to get there meaning significant compression, aggressive camshafts and pricey spring and rocker setups to keep it all alive. I already made that mistake once and it was not smart money....be happy with 5-600 relatively easy with stock block platform and readily available heads or go full monty with a race block and some real power producing heads.

Just curious because I have this stroker 418 short block, and if the best head I can get flows 300 ish cfm, then the most NA power I can get is 600ish, righ
You plan on running race gas with your highest flowing heads?

Since your original question was for a stock block and not a race block, you're already pushing your luck if you're looking to make power in the 600 range.

mysself why do all the crazy money stuff
416 comphy 240@50 rhoads lifters eddys air gap 750 dp 11 to 1 8.9 dcr good exhaust
450 hp at 5400 ish twin stage 200 shot 3k verter 27 tires 3.91 gear vend od
pretty cheap should run low 11s get 20 mpg

You can get 550-600hp out of some Trick Flow heads.
Way better for the budget, if there is one.

When I start thinking high horsepower, big block and Indy Predator comes to mind. :D

Have you looked at Hughes Engines ported heads?
don't I used their bigmouth heads and they do not flow 300+ Most i made with my 426 stroker was 537hp 560 tq which is plenty was able to roast the tires from 60mph , engine is in storage i added a girdle and better main caps for insurance , really for more power
go with a race block stock blocks are not made for 600+ hp God luck with your build

Hughes is getting 600+HP from their 426 sbm. Over 300cfm with the right cam. This is on a 360 block.

Last edited:
Don't think you need 300+ flow for your goals. @pittsburghracer is making well over 600hp with his strokers. Maybe he will chime in.

I’ve hit 318 cfm with my Edelbrock heads with a ported super Victor on my old 408 that ran 9.60’s. The super Victor at that time helped calm the air speed on those heads. On my current 408 with the same Edelbrock heads I have the nicest Victor340 that I’ve done to date. I’m betting it would run some very low 9.30’s but I run all 1/8 mile now so it’s been 5.98 in not so good air. It’s running better than my old 360-1 Indy headed engine right now but it only had a solid lifter cam. I will be reworking those heads.

I’ve hit 318 cfm with my Edelbrock heads with a ported super Victor on my old 408 that ran 9.60’s. The super Victor at that time helped calm the air speed on those heads. On my current 408 with the same Edelbrock heads I have the nicest Victor340 that I’ve done to date. I’m betting it would run some very low 9.30’s but I run all 1/8 mile now so it’s been 5.98 in not so good air. It’s running better than my old 360-1 Indy headed engine right now but it only had a solid lifter cam. I will be reworking those heads.
i need you to fix my victor 340 then , dropped power with the victor on my setup, prt matched but no real porting

i need you to fix my victor 340 then , dropped power with the victor on my setup, prt matched but no real porting

I love that intake
if you work your magic on it maybe it is good but from the factory , meh don't like the runners , like I said you got the touch to fix them , i did better with a fully ported airgap

The problem here is when you want a higher flowing head your probably really getting into a bigger port which may or may not be good dependent on engine size and goal of the engines power. Also the components being used is another issue.

Even a cylinder head that flows 260-270’s is a powerful head but is often used in a heavy car and a slew of other things not well suited to allow the power to be released to show its potential.

What is the goal being sought?
What does the rest of the build look like?
Cam, compression, etc….
happy dyno ??
I think so along with a happy flow bench. Very happy.

I’ve noticed W2 heads can vary a lot in flow numbers. The really big numbers come from moving away from the oval ports into rectangular ports that are massively oversized and really, race only. Like, super maximum effort. It’s a bit fuzzy in my head but IIRC, numbers went to 340 plus cfm.

1F798039-23B1-4058-AED8-BA7A4B4EB3E0.jpeg

8FFB5418-3100-40DC-B451-B7142D8F1E27.jpeg

6A4D9BF8-1F72-458C-8031-D48A70C000B0.jpeg

that is some fine work PBR , Those runners look like they will flow well unlike how they leave the factory . I'm going to look at my victor and see if I can match your work . Thanks for the oics the give me a clear pic of what needs to be done

Ask this guy:

1665904031389.png

Ported stockers.

360 cast head porting

You can get a set of Edelbrocks into the high 280's or 290's with just a 2.02 valve from memory.

-
Back