Highest flowing sbm heads?

-
And there it is. Some guys have it figured out and are out there doing it.:thumbsup:

Here's a thought what does detonation do to a short block while a piston is still on its way to TDC?
Yeah listen to all his advice for sure.....he is the only guy......SUPPOSSEDLY....in America that can push a stock block to 1200 hp and live.....WHOOPY ******* DOO!!!!!! I value my money more than that and it's race block for me 100% of the time.

you're lucky I know guys tha smoked 3 packs a day lived to over 100 years old , then again seen a few stock blocks with 600 hp plus crack cylinders at my buddies shop . Like he says stock blocks are just not made for that level of power . Just because YOU got lucky does not make it a good idea for all . even at 540hp i consider my block lucky to survive 3 years of track and street use , built with better caps girdle molnar crank and rods
AMEN BROTHER....PREACH IT

Yeah listen to all his advice for sure.....he is the only guy......SUPPOSSEDLY....in America that can push a stock block to 1200 hp and live.....WHOOPY ******* DOO!!!!!! I value my money more than that and it's race block for me 100% of the time.
Necessity is the mother of all invention. People find ways to make stuff work all the time. You can throw cubic dollars at a problem or cubic grey matter (Thinking) to solve a problem.

Dan Smith stated he had 2000 passes on his 360 block and that was back in 2016

318 for drag race use

My demon w/std stroke 360s went 10.30s at 3100lbs and w/stroker 360 at 418 c.i. has been 9.60s 1/4 mile and 6.0s 1/8th mile. The 360/418 just reached 2000 passes on it today, and went 9.89 at 133mph. This is with production cast iron heads, 587 casting# and a STX-22 Racer Brown solid lifter cam. 2000 passes without the crankshaft and pistons removed from the block and no valve job. A high 10 second 318/w eddys is an easy goal.

Some people are just Lucky over and over again.........

Necessity is the mother of all invention. People find ways to make stuff work all the time. You can throw cubic dollars at a problem or cubic grey matter (Thinking) to solve a problem.

318 for drag race use

Yep....lucky for sure...race block for me as I don't enjoy knowing I should have but then decided **** it i'm feeling lucky and then one day the whole thing blows up and ruins 70% of the engine....I will pass...thanks.

318 for drag race use

Want more proof? Find 1 high end engine builder that will associate his name with trying to throw 1200 hp at a stock block LA Mopar platform? I will wait....

I love these comments. I have a stock block that runs mid 8's at over 160 in a 3400 pound street car. It has made as much as 1200 at the wheels but its not very tested, it only has 120 runs on it and about 1500 street miles. Then there is my nitrous car that's 372" (14:1 compression) that makes 645 on the motor (flywheel) and I hit it with another 275 of nitrous. But again its not very tried, it only has 300 passes on it and is 17 years old. I must have missed the memo on blocks breaking.

If you can find a set of W5's I highly recommend them. I have been running them for years and will support an easy 700hp. You want the later blue pipe plug version. I think mine flowed 340 cfm intake side and they weren't ported all the way. We need to leave some meat for strength incase of backfires. I also recommend calling IMM engines because he is very knowledgeable about the small Mopar stuff. I have used him for years and his porting is excellent (not to mention his machine work) and he is honest and not super expensive.
Thank you sir. You're basically the main reason why I'm asking about higher flowing heads. It seems the Mopar can do more than a lot of people seem to think.

Thank you sir. You're basically the main reason why I'm asking about higher flowing heads. It seems the Mopar can do more than a lot of people seem to think.
He is like a gift sent from above....LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Want more proof? Find 1 high end engine builder that will associate his name with trying to throw 1200 hp at a stock block LA Mopar platform? I will wait....
Proof of what? Dan has 3 engines doing it so that's a statistical impossibility if it was luck.

Do high end engine builders offer warranties with their race engines?

That has nothing to do with good flowing heads. Turbos, nitrous, etc have a way of making up for poor airflow. Power adders should have their own section.

Proof of what? Dan has 3 engines doing it so that's a statistical impossibility if it was luck.

Do high end engine builders offer warranties with their race engines?
No they don't......BUT since they are wanted by more people than they can provide service for they would gladly turn down a pipe dream that would only tarnish their name.

That has nothing to do with good flowing heads. Turbos, nitrous, etc have a way of making up for poor airflow. Power adders should have their own section.
I don't disagree. But whatever you do to the NA combo that makes more power gets multiplied by boost. Or maybe just run at lower boost levels?

The floor is very flat on my Edelbrocks which surprised me but they managed 288 cfm on a 10 " bench. In my view there's more than enough airflow available to make power but actually using it is another story. Dan Smith has a set of Eddies running 9's but says he prefers the 587's himself and looking at how his car runs has no problem using everything the head provides.

Got a chance to meet him at Bowling Green back in September. His stuff runs hard, and he doesn’t baby it..lol
heck of a racer.
That all said, looking at his Demon, I think that car is probably pretty darn light. Getting a stroker anything in the 9’s with a light car isn’t rocket science.
Pittsburgh racer has done it for years. he is very handy.
a guy on here has been 10.10 with a 3250 pound car( very impressive)
Vic Bloomer has been 9.60’s with a stock stroke 340, iron heads with 1.92 valves.
But none for of these combo’s is making much more( if any more) than 600 horsepower.
Its not hard to believe a stock block can live at that power level, you starting getting above that, you are asking for trouble.

Got a chance to meet him at Bowling Green back in September. His stuff runs hard, and he doesn’t baby it..lol
heck of a racer.
That all said, looking at his Demon, I think that car is probably pretty darn light. Getting a stroker anything in the 9’s with a light car isn’t rocket science.
Pittsburgh racer has done it for years. he is very handy.
a guy on here has been 10.10 with a 3250 pound car( very impressive)
Vic Bloomer has been 9.60’s with a stock stroke 340, iron heads with 1.92 valves.
But none for of these combo’s is making much more( if any more) than 600 horsepower.
Its not hard to believe a stock block can live at that power level, you starting getting above that, you are asking for trouble.
He says its 3100 LBS. That's not exactly light in my view. He has 3 cars running 9's that all weigh above 3000 LBS.

My demon w/std stroke 360s went 10.30s at 3100lbs and w/stroker 360 at 418 c.i. has been 9.60s 1/4 mile and 6.0s 1/8th mile.

The others:

2009 418" build dan smith built new 9.96 131.82 6.23 108 1.30 60 foot best to date 9/15/09 8in 727 430 dana 2860 lb 3040 lb w driver
My friends 64 Dart w 414c.i. 360 and my race ported eddy RPMs went 9.59 at 137 today. 3050 lb car.

Even went onto say that the Eddie heads on the dart only flow 275 cfm:

my friends 64 Dart"..... thinking that's the one that just split a bore in a block I was reading about
It did start drinking water after the second pass yesterday. Engine is old and I sonic tested the cyl walls a couple winters ago and they were on the thin side, but a lot of cash was already spent so he had to use it. Just used his car as an example of capabilities of eddy RPM heads. Only flowed around 275 IIRC. Those heads on a 318 would feed it very well and only a high 10 second goal, easy. $6000 budget would get him an engine to do what he is looking for.

IF this isn't reliable then I don't know what is.

Found this post from 2018:

3000lb demon. 360/418--587 cast iron heads, home ported--.590 Racer brown solid flat tappet-- STX-22--13 to1 CR--timing set at 28*--crank trigger--9.68 at 136mph--1.260 best 60 ft, probably better but tripped the 60ft. timers with rear tires often. 2600+ passes and counting. Went as many as 4 years without pulling a valve cover off. Pistons and crank never out of block since day 1. Dropped a valve in late 2017 but short block survived with only a minor gouge out of cylinder wall. Put a lesser set of heads on it to finish the season, raced it the next night, and still ran some low 6.20s 1/8th mile.

nothing you posted seems out of the norm at all. All very believeable, except you say 3100 pounds, he says 3000 in another post.
Eddie’s have been proven to make around 600 horse well done. Those combinations aren’t more than that.

Not impressed and not how I would ever run my program......far as i'm concerned only an idiot would brag about not pulling a valve cover in 4 years to ever check for potential valve train issues....you seem to be impressed by different things than I and most of the racing community are.

nothing you posted seems out of the norm at all. All very believeable, except you say 3100 pounds, he says 3000 in another post.
Eddie’s have been proven to make around 600 horse well done. Those combinations aren’t more than that.
The Norm is different for different people. That's pretty quick for the stuff people throw away because they think it can't make power.

The OP was to make 600 HP and big dollar heads were bandied around when ported stockers or Eddies have done it. That dart is running 9.59 with only 275 cfm if that's true then its making 2.32 HP per cfm of airflow that's IMPRESSIVE in my view considering any W" head needs lots of expensive hardware to go with it.

Quality parts and machine work and balancing all components is essential for making reliable horsepower with a factory block.
I wouldn't push a factory block over 650 HP.

Not impressed and not how I would ever run my program......far as i'm concerned only an idiot would brag about not pulling a valve cover in 4 years to ever check for potential valve train issues....you seem to be impressed by different things than I and most of the racing community are.
Its your money and you can spend it the way you see fit. And yet its gone 2600 passes without blowing up.

Probably gone more if he spent more time pulling a valve cover and less time bragging
I agree.
We pulled our engines apart every winter for a refresh.
Valve covers came off every Wednesday night during the season, we had 3 cars to do, all big blocks.

And there it is. Some guys have it figured out and are out there doing it.:thumbsup:

Here's a thought what does detonation do to a short block while a piston is still on its way to TDC?
Detonation is the enemy for sure. Most people who have broken blocks have no idea its even happening. The funny thing is that people who break blocks buy aftermarket blocks and then blow head gaskets or melt piston and wonder why they keep getting substandard parts.
you're lucky I know guys tha smoked 3 packs a day lived to over 100 years old , then again seen a few stock blocks with 600 hp plus crack cylinders at my buddies shop . Like he says stock blocks are just not made for that level of power . Just because YOU got lucky does not make it a good idea for all . even at 540hp i consider my block lucky to survive 3 years of track and street use , built with better caps girdle molnar crank and rods
Maybe so. The sad part is that instead of being a student and understanding why their engine is wounded they immediately blame the broken part.
Some very smart people seem to be Lucky too many times.......
Better to be lucky than good!

I agree.
We pulled our engines apart every winter for a refresh.
Valve covers came off every Wednesday night during the season, we had 3 cars to do, all big blocks.
I routinely run my valves not because I suspect something will be out of spec but in hopes of catching a potential problem early.

-
Back