Highest flowing sbm heads?

-
I think with 13:1 plus and a few other things could get those heads very close or at 700. What do you think ?

Big roller, dome piston, ported super victor….mid 600’s?? just not a big enough head to make 700, and it’s 200cc.
I found out how big it was putting a 1213 gasket up to them..lol
the Guy that has been 6.08 still has 1 5/8 headers on his car, and the motor is 11.6 to 1 with that 263@50 roller…who knows
he has been 1.30 60 foot thus far

told the one guy I would post a pic of my heap

Edit..the top bar looks kinda far back because it is. I am 6’5..that is where it needs to be for me to be under it driving.
shame I have always had A bodies, BBodies would have been so much more practical..but they have big blocks In them:(

0AA46A0B-6E4A-4F81-A3FD-16AFC92891FF.jpeg

Last edited:
Big roller, dome piston, ported super victor….mid 600’s?? just not a big enough head to make 700, and it’s 200cc.
I found out how big it was putting a 1213 gasket up to them..lol
the Guy that has been 6.08 still has 1 5/8 headers on his car, and the motor is 11.6 to 1 with that 263@50 roller…who knows
he has been 1.30 60 foot thus far
Any idea what gear ratio the guy who ran 6.08 is using ?

I build all my own stuff, engines, transmissions, set up my own gears and do all my own fab work. Head work and machining, I pay someone. That being said, if I was looking for a 800-1000 hp small block, I’d have it built. Just about anybody can screw together a 600 hp small block and make it live. When you are looking for another 2-400 hp you’re playing in a different league.

another guy has been 10.22 at 132 with them, 3175 pounds, pump gas, drag week car.
I talked to him for a while this year in tech at Dragweek. He is fairly happy with the Bloomers but he is slower than his last set up which was Edelbrocks. IIRC. Anyways for me I really like the Trickflow. If you look at the head its just better all around and For a 190cc head they work incredibly well. For a street strip motor they really good. Otherwise I am a W2 guy. Guys running 9’s with an Edelbrock or some other chinese head are at 2200 pounds and have massive tires. W2 guys run 9’s with heavy *** street cars. For 3k a guy could set up a really good W2 top end.

And I cant imagine that 68 Barracuda guy being cool to anyone. He is a real doucheflute puffer who needs meds. The epitome of internet keybord warrior.

I talked to him for a while this year in tech at Dragweek. He is fairly happy with the Bloomers but he is slower than his last set up which was Edelbrocks. IIRC. Anyways for me I really like the Trickflow. If you look at the head its just better all around and For a 190cc head they work incredibly well. For a street strip motor they really good. Otherwise I am a W2 guy. Guys running 9’s with an Edelbrock or some other chinese head are at 2200 pounds and have massive tires. W2 guys run 9’s with heavy *** street cars. For 3k a guy could set up a really good W2 top end.

And I cant imagine that 68 Barracuda guy being cool to anyone. He is a real doucheflute puffer who needs meds. The epitome of internet keybord warrior.

the other heads he had were bigmouths from Hughes. I was told he has been faster with the Bloomer heads, not sure what all was changed around, I know the car currently doesn’t 60 foot well at all. High 1.40’s I believe. And it had a stock Victor on it. There were several things Rod suggested he change, this was after the 132 mph drag week showing

3K for a really good W2 top end? Is it 1988 again?

I would expect a set of W2s, fully ported/prepped, with rockers, stands, valves springs etc, to probably run $4k+. That's before the intake and exhaust which obviously come with their own challenges.

I'm sure the porting would be expensive too considering they are iron. No easy path.

I would expect a set of W2s, fully ported/prepped, with rockers, stands, valves springs etc, to probably run $4k+. That's before the intake and exhaust which obviously come with their own challenges.

I'm sure the porting would be expensive too considering they are iron. No easy path.

Expect to pay $2200-2500 just for the port work IF you really want “fully ported”.

That means making the port square. And that is A) not even remotely fun and B) time consuming like a ****.

Before I spent that kind of time and money on a W2 head, I’d look for a set of W7’s. There may be some unmolested sets still floating around out there and they make killer power.

The W7 was the “fix” for the W5. The raised the spring seats way up (the W5 has that idiotic deep spring seat so you can’t raise the port up as far as possible because you break through right there…if I were doing another set of W5’s the first thing I’d do is push the garbage OE guides up .200 and then weld the spring pockets up but that too is a ton of work and money…if you have the capability to do it yourself it’s one thing but to pay someone to do it gets into big $$$$$ right quick) and made other changes to those heads.

But once again, Chrysler by error or design (I‘ll let you decide which as I already know what it was) stopped making that head. It’s too bad because that head on 400 inches would make some serious hay.

W2’s are good heads but aren’t “ gonna run 9’s with heavy *** street cars” unless there is a whole lot going on.
I had W5’s on a “ Heavy *** street car”..3350 pounds and it had a LOT going on to run 9.80’s at the time. And those heads were better than W2’s.
And no, car doesn’t have to be 2200 pounds to run 9’s with the non offset heads.
Guy I mentioned earlier is 2920 at the line and has been 6.08 at 112. That is mid 9’s, and it isn’t 2200.
guy with the Drsg week car has been 132 Mph at 3175, lot of guys have dipped into the 9’s at that mph. And his car doesn’t 60 yet.
Pittsburgh racer runs 9’s easy with Eddie heads. So your statements aren’t backed up at all by facts.
Go find me heavy *** street cars running 9’s with W2’s, I don’t know of many/ any. It certainly wouldn’t be common

Well your wrong as usual......A good set of rockers is 2400, a good set of springs, retainers, locks and spring locaters will be approx 12-1400, valves 6-800 for steel and 1k plus if you want Ti intakes, and are the heads free along with the porting because if so can I get the number for that source as I would like in on this secret. I'm sure your fans will come back with either used parts pricing or cheap junk parts but I don't mess around with used or junk on my stuff.

Expect to pay $2200-2500 just for the port work IF you really want “fully ported”.

That means making the port square. And that is A) not even remotely fun and B) time consuming like a ****.

Before I spent that kind of time and money on a W2 head, I’d look for a set of W7’s. There may be some unmolested sets still floating around out there and they make killer power.

The W7 was the “fix” for the W5. The raised the spring seats way up (the W5 has that idiotic deep spring seat so you can’t raise the port up as far as possible because you break through right there…if I were doing another set of W5’s the first thing I’d do is push the garbage OE guides up .200 and then weld the spring pockets up but that too is a ton of work and money…if you have the capability to do it yourself it’s one thing but to pay someone to do it gets into big $$$$$ right quick) and made other changes to those heads.

But once again, Chrysler by error or design (I‘ll let you decide which as I already know what it was) stopped making that head. It’s too bad because that head on 400 inches would make some serious hay.

true about W5 spring pockets. very first set Ryan ever ported were mine. Chuck at Best machine called me, could poke a pencil through 5 or 6 of the pockets… welded up pucks for them….. that said ran them on big rollers after that

W2’s are good heads but aren’t “ gonna run 9’s with heavy *** street cars” unless there is a whole lot going on.
I had W5’s on a “ Heavy *** street car”..3350 pounds and it had a LOT going on to run 9.80’s at the time. And those heads were better than W2’s.
And no, car doesn’t have to be 2200 pounds to run 9’s with the non offset heads.
Guy I mentioned earlier is 2920 at the line and has been 6.08 at 112. That is mid 9’s, and it isn’t 2200.
guy with the Drsg week car has been 132 Mph at 3175, lot of guys have dipped into the 9’s at that mph. And his car doesn’t 60 yet.
Pittsburgh racer runs 9’s easy with Eddie heads. So your statements aren’t backed up at all by facts.
Go find me heavy *** street cars running 9’s with W2’s, I don’t know of many/ any. It certainly wouldn’t be common

I hear what you are saying but W2’s can be and are a great head. I got my set of Econo heads from a friend for dirt cheap prices and fell into not one but two sets of Crane and Mopar Performance rockers. I knew nothing about them when I got them but I hit the books and internet searches. As luck would have it I had the set that were prone to cracking. If I knew then what I know now I would have backed off the torque readings on the lower row of bolts slightly. At the time I had my very first flowbench and it measured in 10 inches depression so I couldn’t lean on it like I can now. So I did a little port work to them and ported a Victor W2 heads. On a mild built 408 with a .520 lift racer brown cam on BP93 pump gas the car ran low 9.80’s. But my duster was also slightly lighter then with fiberglass doors. Heads heavier doors much lighter. I would probably never travel that road again with all the heads I have here but with the race version of the W2 nicely ported with a W2 Tunnelram would be a very nice package in the right hands. Ohhhh mine had 2.02 (3/8 valve stems) intakes in them.

Fair answer. I know port work on iron is a huge pita.

so we are all talking about which head will do 600 or 700hp, in the first post, mean 416 mentioned he has a 416 short block already. Dished pistons?
is any head going to make over 600 hp without changing pistons.....

Well your wrong as usual......A good set of rockers is 2400, a good set of springs, retainers, locks and spring locaters will be approx 12-1400, valves 6-800 for steel and 1k plus if you want Ti intakes, and are the heads free along with the porting because if so can I get the number for that source as I would like in on this secret. I'm sure your fans will come back with either used parts pricing or cheap junk parts but I don't mess around with used or junk on my stuff.
Harland sharps on jegs right now 1350
I can definitely see a solid roller spring retainer locator setup costing $1k
Fair on the valves, $800

I don't think Ti is needed at this rpm level

$1200 right now for a pair of new w2 castings

Yeah you got me. That's before port work.

so we are all talking about which head will do 600 or 700hp, in the first post, mean 416 mentioned he has a 416 short block already. Dished pistons?
is any head going to make over 600 hp without changing pistons.....
Scat forged recip assy, flat tops

Harland sharps on jegs right now 1350
I can definitely see a solid roller spring retainer locator setup costing $1k
Fair on the valves, $800

I don't think Ti is needed at this rpm level

$1200 right now for a pair of new w2 castings

Yeah you got me. That's before port work.
looks like Trick Flow heads put you way ahead.

-
Back