Hip Replacement

-

dustertogo

Reaction score
About to turn 58, and I'm facing a hip replacement in the very near future. Anybody here had one?

Robert

Had to have mine revised a couple years ago. I don't know why the first one was only alittle over 20 years old.Modern medicine has come a long way over the years. At first you will have limits to follow and lots of rehab. Just stick with it all and it will be fine in the end.

My wife had her's done on July 15. Not too much pain, starting feeling better after only a few days. Rehab a WHOLE lot less painful than her knee. Her turned 70 on 7-20-13. Should be a walk in the park. GOOD LOCK!!!

Just had a new knee 7 weeks ago....been in PT with people that have had both and they all say hip is not bad at all compared to knee.Just be diligent with PT and you should be ok.

After fighting and living the pain from my left hip for over 3 years and getting to the point of having to use a cane to walk, I had mine replaced last October 9.

The 3 days in the hospital and first week was the worst part.

The secret is to "DO THE THERAPY" as instructed and add an extra couple times to each exercise.

The doctor told me that I would be on a walker for 4 - 6 weeks and on a cane for another 2 - 4 weeks.

I did the therapy + sometimes one or two extra complete sessions a day and was walking on my own by 4 1/2 weeks.

You have to be careful of how you turn and twist and get up and down for a while.

Before the surgery I could not spend much more then 1/2 to 1 hour in the shop and I would be down with pain for 2 - 3 days.

Now I spend as much time as I want doing what I want PAIN FREE.

I turned 66 in May.

Herb

Do you get a cute nurse to break them with after the surgery????

About to turn 58, and I'm facing a hip replacement in the very near future. Anybody here had one?

Robert

Wife has had both done, most people say they wish they had done it sooner afterwards, including her

Good luck

As others said PT is very important

Thanks guys for the advice, encouragement, etc. I'm really tired of the pain and limitations that it creates, so I think it's time to proceed.

Robert

I had polio when I was very young and it affected my right side. 30 years ago the Dr told me to get a replacement. I didn't. Last December I did. It took several months to heal and walk well. It has changed my life. My Dr. had me do very little PT and none out of my house. The first month was hard because of sleeping, pain was not bad. Actually less than I had before. My Dr. said to do the opposite of no pain, no gain. If it hurt let him know. That worked out great. Get it done ASAP.

I had the right hip replaced at age 53 back in January. Definitely a very traumatic experience, but well worth it. Just follow instructions and DO THE REHAB!

my grandmother had them done when i was in high school (25 years ago.).

she had both done some time apart. then had the original one done a second time when it wore out. i imagine that things have improved big time in the last 25 years .

No, not a hip but a total knee replacement of my left knee a few years ago. As others have already said, follow the rehab instructions to the letter or do maybe a little bit more but don't cut it short. Rehab is the key.
I had my knee replaced in early January and was back bowling league again in May. Best thing I ever did after being in progressively worse pain for a bunch of years.
You won't regret it.

Thanks again guys. I'm still not exactly looking forward to it, but it sounds like things will definitely be better down the road if I follow the Dr's orders and do the rehab.

Robert

-
Back