Hmm...so I don't love Monroe shocks...

-

cam.man67

Reaction score
I know I've heard a fair number of y'all on here say that you've got Monroe's on you A-bodies, thought I would share my experience with you:

September 2012, I replace the front original (!) shocks with a pair of Monroes I got (I think) from Rockauto. Installation is a breeze and the car rides MUCH nicer than it did. The rear shock had been replaced some previous to my ownership, so I didn't bother ti replace them at this point.

November 2012: After less than 3000 miles, the passenger front shock collapses on my way through Illinois. After a few stops, I finally found a store with two in stock and I buy both. Just put the one on and keep the other in the trunk as a spare.

Fastforward to July 2014: My ride quality seems to have gotten worse since spring. I think it's the rear shocks.

Two weeks ago, I pulled off the old Gabriels (which were actually functional) and put KYBs ut back. The ride is a LOT better, though potholes and such still feel terrible.

So Last night I replaced the fronts with KYBs...only to find out that both Monroes are worn out (no more rebound). No wonder it rides like crap! It's odd to me that they'd wear out after such a short window of use (18,000 miles).

So, I'm going to KYBs, love how they ride so far.

one of the gurus might pipe in. the rear, if the ubolts are overtightened will make a very harsh ride. someone posted before about what the torque specs are on those ubolts

they should change their designation to .... often re-placement shocks.....because you have to replace them OFTEN.

thanks for the info....I too would have expected longer performance

What do you mean no more rebound? I thought that is what shocks were supposed to control.

Monroe shocks aren't the longest lasting ones out there for sure. I put them on the wife's 73 Dart.

Both fronts are blown but they did give a nice ride while they lasted....

Mine were blowing oil at about the same 3k miles that you saw cam man. ( spirited driver here ) ..Kyb for the win/win. Inexpensive ( not cheap ) shock and a great ride.
If I had a bit more money I'd be running adjustable Qa1's

Monroe and Gabriel have never lasted long on my cars , maybe I'm just unlucky , but they leaked and lost all shock absorbing ability in a short time , under 2 years . KYB have lasted , but they sure have a hard ride .

I replaced my kyb shocks with bilsteins. Its the best shock decision I've made

Exactly! :thumbup:

The Bilsteins are worth every penny. They ride far better than the KYB's, and don't punish you through bumps and potholes like the KYB's do. And they handle the higher spring rates of larger torsion bars with ease.

i have heard the difference between Bilsteins and regular units is shocking.
...that's so lame...but i have installed them on my current '69 Dart project.

What do you mean no more rebound? I thought that is what shocks were supposed to control.
I am sure he means that there is still damping on compresssion but the damping is gone on the rebound stroke (no shock resistance when extended by hand). BTW, make sure the shock is upright when do this test by hand. Non-gas shock damping in particular can be very sensitive to orientation.

Is this car lowered? Never was posted. Most know what that does to compression & rebound stroke.

Monroe last 3-6 months at best.
I took the stock shocks of my Wrangler at 20K miles.
Replaced them with Monroe shocks, 2-sets lasted 10K miles.
Even though they are advertised as lifetime warranty, they will only give you two complete sets.

Put KYB's on at 30K Jeep has 75K on it now and they are still there. Who needs a lifetime warranty when the shocks don't wear out in less than a year.
I consider the life expediency of a shock in normal road driving to last 30K miles.
But the KYB's are still performing better than the OEM shocks for the extra cost and have 45k on them.

My experience with KYB's is great for a daily driver.

Exactly! :thumbup:

The Bilsteins are worth every penny. They ride far better than the KYB's, and don't punish you through bumps and potholes like the KYB's do. And they handle the higher spring rates of larger torsion bars with ease.

What this guy said.

Shopping right now for new shocks for my 65' Cuda and was looking at Monroe Sensa-tracs anybody have any experience with these on a car it says their for a light truck. Did not find any Bilsteins or Koni's in their application guide listed for a 65 but gonna call tomorrow. Had this happen over the weekend. Uggggggg!!!

Attachments

• 2014-07-14 11.30.13.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 470
Shopping right now for new shocks for my 65' Cuda and was looking at Monroe Sensa-tracs anybody have any experience with these on a car it says their for a light truck. Did not find any Bilsteins or Koni's in their application guide listed for a 65 but gonna call tomorrow. Had this happen over the weekend. Uggggggg!!!
looks like a Monroe....

You won't find the Bilstein's on their site. RCD builds their own from generic Bilstein tubes. PST carries them, and they also sell them on ebay too.

-
Back