Hmm what to do! New crank or Stroker?

-

Krazed

Reaction score
I need to get a new crank as oiling issues destroyed the last one. Thankfully, the rods turned out ok but the mains will need a line hone which will get done this week.

So, I ask you. Given the prices of forged 340 Cranks..

What would it take to go Cast crank instead? Just balancing?

Also, what could I do to piece together a stroker kit? i have Eagle H-beam rods currently in great shape. could i get away with just buying new pistons and a cast stroker crank? What's the reliability these days with Cast components?

And lastly and most importantly: Where can I buy this stuff the cheapest? I'd get it balanced in town.

Current engine: (or previous if you will)

1968 340 block 4.070 bore
Edelbrock 340 Heads. (Yes, the 65cc heads)
Speedpro TRW-L2316F30 pistons
Eagle H-Beam Rods
Previously Forged 340 stock crank
Lunati 60403 Cam (NEw in box, can still return to summit)

Let me know if you need any more info. My mind's all in a jumble at the moment so i may be missing key information.

Thanks!

Edit:

I guess the better question is: What would you do?

Find a Pre 70' 318 or 85' up truck 318 to donate a steel crank...or just use a cast 318 crank....Stroker Cranks = $$$

I know of people running 800whp on cast components...so I say SAVE MONEY.

I looked at the Mancini stuff, it seems a bit on the high side for price.

What I'm thinking about now is using a cast crank since it's been mentioned.

My last question is, what would I need to change/do to switch from my forged 340 crank to a cast one?

Rebalance everything (obviously)
New flywheel?
New Dampener?
Anything I don't know about?

Also, I've heard mention about this place: http://www.rpmmachine.com/

Would this be a decent place to buy from these days?

The current crank is damaged beyond grinding. It's been ground twice and is now 20/20 and according to the machine shop is not salvagable by further grinding.

I had oiling problems , bearings chewed up the crank pretty badly. It didn't just have scratches, it had gouges in it.

Quick update: After asking around, I was able to purchase a Forged 340 crank for $510 shipped in town. They're friends who got me a nice guy discount through one of their parts sellers.

So, problem solved!

Glad you solved your crank dilemma. In case anyone is interested, I decided to go the stroker route. Eagle cast 4.0" stroke $259(+$30shipping) CNC Motorsports, Probe Forged Pistons $479(+$24)CNC Motorsports, Some Type of Chinese H-Beams $279(+$24 Shipping) CNC Motorsports Total Seal Rings $75 (Free shipping w/Probe Pistons) Total = $1275. I thought this was OK compared to most kits with Cast crank, Hyper Pistons, and I-Beams. Do I need the H-Beams and Forged Pistons? Probably not. But it's somehow related to the fact that I don't have any .25 or .32 caliber pistols either! Better safe than sorry and I should have "No Worries" and a certain sense of satisfaction.

has any of you small block guys herd of OHIO CRANKSHIFTS i know thay did all of hour stroker cranks in the late 70s&80s .there motto was if its in one peice we can fix it . we tured them 7500to8500 on dirt and never lost abottom end. i cant remember the mans name but we tried alot of wild strokes back then (not leagel) for what we were doing had to finsh alot of sec.and therds not to get checked but it was alot of fun knowing we could have won. giv them a call im shore thay can fix you up cheper than any one els.and im going to bet that most of those hi doller cranks come from thire any one in the prts bis, knows theres one hell of mark up on perf.parts.BUT we ant sapost to know that to here them talk.just trying to help and mopar toya!!!!!!!!!!.

At .020/.020 I would have said replace it to. You could fix it, but it's cost prohibitive to try and ad material. There's plaenty of them around to get anyway.

Thanks 340sFastback. I'm glad I went with the forged slugs. I wonder how many guys with the cast stroker kits will be regretting thier choice! I don't plan on cranking it up past 6500 too often. Good thing there's gonna be an auto trans behind it (no missed shifts!) What parts are in your 414?

The piston speed issue comes up around 5500. Which is why a lot of cheap crate 4" setups use them. They will work for a lot of people who just want to cruise. I like hypers too, but when the posibility exists to go beyond the typical safe range, time to upgrade..lol.

-
Back