Hmmm... How 'bout a 2.2/2.5 turbo in an early A?

-

valianator

Reaction score
Just daydreamin' here: How bout a 2.2/2.5 turbo in a '60-62 or '63-66 (light!) A body? The naturally aspirated version was the standard mill in Dakotas, so there's a RWD 5 speed tranny and mounts that would at least be a start.

I know, it'd be a lot easier to just bolt in small block, but an OHC Turbo EFI Turbo 4 banger would have a "wow that's different" vibe about it, 'specially since people aren't used to seeing it mounted North-South. It'd scoot pretty good in lightweight early A and pull down excellent MPG, too!

There was a guy over at theturboforums that did something like that .......

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=132151.0
... has a real "hot rod" soul, cheap, available, go fast. Not that I know that's why he did it, but if I had a line on a cheap good " insert some motor here" I'd probably figure out a way to bolt it into my car :lol:

DOH! Shaker beat me to the enter key.....

I have playedwith the 2.2 and 2.5 turbos a bit, I even know where there is a experimental 904 (factory experimental) trans at. Personally id rather use a 2.0 or 2.4 neon / stratus mill for the sheer fact its cross flow.

Check out a dakota 4 cylinder trans. I dont remember which four cylinder they used but they did put one in a dakota.

I'm with David, the 4banger idea could be fun. But if you're going to do it do it right with the 2.4l from the SRT4. It has more potential, better electronics and better parts availability.

I love engine swaps. I also suggest looking at the newer 2.4L. Some PT cruisers had a turbo, and I think some Neons too. Sound like there was a RWD transmission for it. I have the 2.4L in my 3500 lb Voyager, so should move a lighter Dart fast with great mileage.

I was at Pick N' Pull yesterday (Sacramento-Sunrise) and saw a 1950 Dodge Coronet with a late in-line six engine with MPI. I have no idea how it wound up in the yard since someone put much time into it and the body looks fine, just a smashed windshield but flat glass (easy to replace?). I couldn't find a label on the engine. Plastic valve cover and controller box on the firewall looks like a Mopar 5.2/5.9 Magnum. Perhaps a Jeep 4.0L. The transmission has a transfer case but no front drive shaft. Drivetrain must be from some SUV. Tempted but already have 6 cars (2 in-work).

My son has a 2.2 turbo Shadow with a full race set up fully caged kinda like a pro street dynoed at just under 450hp at 18lbs. boost and runs mid 11's he is going to turn the wick up to 25lbs. and see what it do. Car weig's about 2800 lbs. not far off from an A Body so the little mill can pull can pull it. I have seen them rwd bolted to a 904 but as others have said SRT 4 16v.dohc would be the way to go he has friends making 600hp with this motor. Do It... dare to be different!!!

The Dakota used the 2.5 4 cylinder, which is basically a 2.2. You can get either a 5 speed or an automatic. They used to make a lot of performance equipment for these. The Shelby Charger had 175 hp from the factory. You could realistically get 300 horse power from them. Sounds like a good idea (challenge).

I have considered it several times. The 2.5 would be the way to go with its high torque grunt to get the car rolling.

While the manual sounds like fun, you would have the same clutch/trans issues that people who install 5 speeds do. Expect to do hacking. Be aware there is two different 2.5's that were used in the Dakotas, the ones after 95 or 96 are GM/AMC based and have nothing in common with the 2.2/2.5 engines, so the bellhousing does not interchange.

The small 230mm clutch used on the 2.5 has always been the weak link on heavy vehicles.

There was a guy making adapters so you could bolt up a 904/44RE bellhousing, that is the way to go.

Gary

I thought along those lines for a while ,with gas prices that keep rising. I had a pretty potent 2.2 (28psi) in a shelby that ran real strong and loved it ,but
had big bucks in mods with ported cnc head ,turbo,intercooler,upgraded fuel, etc.
I decided to go 3g hemi,425 hp stock , guys are getting mid 20's highway. Got it on the cheap on E-bay.I will have less money than It would cost to mod the 4 cyl. And is easy to adapt with any transmission.
It would take a lot of money to get that kind of power with the 2.2 just to meet what the hemi makes stock, add cam , headers, custom tune and those engines are making another 100 hp with a cam that still idles like a stock.
And I didn't think I would like the sound of a 4 cyl in a muscle car .
If it makes you happy though,go for it.

Super 44's with the hemi :glasses8:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXnXoQRG9as"]YouTube - 2010 Dodge Challenger Exhaust[/ame]

to get a 2.2L over 400HP with a 8v head you will need around 30-35psi thats with a ported bigvalve custom intake and header ect even the DOHC TIII need alot of boost to get 400HP the problem isnt that the engine its self its the piss poor flowing head. As an example a simualr nissan will make 400HP with 20ish lbs of boost.

If you really want to go with a 2.2 go with a T3 DOHC they are harder to find but its easier to make power with them.

If you want a manual the turbo supra trans will bolt to a dakota 5speed bellhouseing but there are several bellhousings made but only one works

I have a 92 dodge spirit r/t stock longblock with 150k 2cyl with 90psi i ran 12.1 @115 coasting thru on 23lbs of boost pig rich iam guessing iam around 360-370whp car weight 3300lbs

The cool thing about the 4cyl turbo mopars is they always make more HP then trq unlike a honda with 4000hp and 25ftlbs
PM if you want some more info

I always dream of a pro touring/road race 2 dr 63 Valiant with a 2.4 out of an SRT-4 Neon and a 5 spd! Do some Hotchkis suspension and stage 3 on the motor and look out Porsches and Vettes!

to get a 2.2L over 400HP with a 8v head you will need around 30-35psi thats with a ported bigvalve custom intake and header ect even the DOHC TIII need alot of boost to get 400HP the problem isnt that the engine its self its the piss poor flowing head. As an example a simualr nissan will make 400HP with 20ish lbs of boost.

If you really want to go with a 2.2 go with a T3 DOHC they are harder to find but its easier to make power with them.

If you want a manual the turbo supra trans will bolt to a dakota 5speed bellhouseing but there are several bellhousings made but only one works

I have a 92 dodge spirit r/t stock longblock with 150k 2cyl with 90psi i ran 12.1 @115 coasting thru on 23lbs of boost pig rich iam guessing iam around 360-370whp car weight 3300lbs

The cool thing about the 4cyl turbo mopars is they always make more HP then trq unlike a honda with 4000hp and 25ftlbs
PM if you want some more info

It's really not nearly as hard to make good power with the 8 valve motors as you make it sound. It's just that most people that play with them are either A) short on money B) Spend it poorly or C) Aren't very good at making power period.

I hate to say it, as I got my start with turbo vehicles with them and did very well (over 400 WHP on 93 octane at only 24 psi) with them, but the majority of people who have the cars spend all of their efforts band-aiding problems with more parts and supplementary systems.

I have a beater 2.2 T2 car now that gets 28 mpg beating on it, and has a bone stock longblock with a stock turbo (with a .63 AR turbine) that makes 260 WHP/298 WTQ. It has very limited, but carefully chosen modifications. And 21 psi.

-
Back