Hoard or sell ?

-

jeeper

Reaction score
Hello,

I am doing some soul searching right now and contemplating selling some cars.

Here is what I have on hand:

1974 D/S Project car. Currently working on it to finish and enjoy for the summer etc.

1973 D/S roller shell. Straight, rust free and maybe somewhat "rare". I have never checked the data plate. Not worth much and it matches my 74 for parts.

1976 Dart 4-door. Parts- I am getting ready to part it out completely.

1964 Plymouth Valiant 2-door post. Currently for sale and has been for a year

1973 Plymouth Duster. Very good interior, decent body but needs some help. Nice front clip and grill etc. SBP drums and 7 .25 rear. The car has not been messed with in the usual ways.

1974 Plymouth Duster. A bit better on the body shell. Decent grill, BBP disks, and basically no interior.

I'm thinking that my Dart Sports should stay since they match. I do not prefer Dart Sports. But......the one is the best car I have and it is getting closer to being done. 73-76 Dusters are my favorite:-D

Sell the rest? I can use the money for the garage fund, or to finish and use my D/S project.

I just keep thinking....."What if I find a really clean grandma Duster with SBP and it needs a fender, then what will you do?"

That ad on TV with the good guy and bad guy whispering in his ears at the auto parts store.......yeah that is me.

I know I am going to get clobbered on the values, but still seriously contemplating offing all but the two.

Sell em? Wait until the economy picks up? Hoard? ("You know they are rare and they don't make them anymore!")

Thanks again.

ROB

I'm like you, but I think I had four times as much stuff for Darts. I collected and saved a good example of everything Dart I could get. After I felt like I had a good supply, I moved on to collect Demon and Duster parts. Then early Valiant stuff cause I liked those (never had one). OK, you see how ridiculous this is. I woke up one day and decided I was tired of tripping over the stuff and began to sell some of it off. After a few years I've cleaned out a lot of parts and several cars. The market drop actually made it easier to part with because I didn't have the feeling I was sitting on gold.

Thank you. I agree. I am sure I don't have nearly the cool stuff most Mopar people do being relatively young in the hobby of Mopars.

I honestly think it is the thrill of the deal, the hauling and ideas. I love that.

But then the reality of no shop, a wife that hates these things and so forth and there you go. Back to reality.......

I truthfully feel better with each car or part that leaves. Tired of tripping on stuff etc. Just want it gone.

Nice to know I am not alone.

ROB

I'm thinking having one toy car is the way to go. However personally I have at least five. I'm thinking its to late to sell so you better hoard.:toothy10:

do you think you would prefer to have one really nice car instead of four or five incomplete ones? I do not have to think long to answer that question!

I would sell all but the two Dart sports, finish the one nice one then evaluate what you want to do next.

Bob

I can really relate. I had 12 A-body mopars in my yard. 12!!!!!! I live right in the city. It looked totally out of hand. All but 2 were barracuda's. And I had a 20'x12' garage. Filled to the top with nothing but barracuda parts and motors and trannies. One day I just realized that If I ever had to move I would be totally screwed. So I got rid of everything I thought I would not have to have around. Mainly what was not barracuda stuff. So off with the '66 dart GT 318/4speed, 8 3/4 car. Then off with the '74 duster 318/4speed 8 1/4 car. And off with the ton of motors and parts that were not for any of my barracuda's. I was so depressed about a week later about getting rid of the cars. And I've really regretted it ever since. Especially now. I would do almost anything to get those 2 dodges back. Not to mention all of the really hard to get motors. [340's,360's ect.] I also ended up getting rid of every single one of the barracuda's. Over the next couple of years. Because I had to move. Imagine that!!! The moral of this little story is plain and simple. If I would have had the space to keep these cars, I would have NEVER got rid of them. And I would not be KICKING myself everytime I think about the one wall that had 7 A-body 8 3/4's sitting against it. Or the wall covered with commando valve covers and air cleaners. The other corner with 4 speed trans. everywhere. And on and on and on. IT SUCKS!!!!! I dont own a single extra part that I would ever want on my car. I'm buying everything all over again. And now EVERYTHING costs about 10 times as much as back in the 80's. Not to mention WAY harder to find. I hope this helps. I did not tell you about any of the barracuda's because if I think about those I get real depressed.

I'm like you, but I think I had four times as much stuff for Darts. I collected and saved a good example of everything Dart I could get. After I felt like I had a good supply, I moved on to collect Demon and Duster parts. Then early Valiant stuff cause I liked those (never had one). OK, you see how ridiculous this is. I woke up one day and decided I was tired of tripping over the stuff and began to sell some of it off. After a few years I've cleaned out a lot of parts and several cars. The market drop actually made it easier to part with because I didn't have the feeling I was sitting on gold.
This is exactly where i'm at right now.
I don't want to go through what 65barracudadude went through either.
I have over 40 a bodies, some b bodies, trucks and brand x stuff, and about 10 of them are good project cars, the rest are for parts only. I have collected them since the early '80s and am now just getting around to selling some stuff and settling on a few to keep and fix up.
Decisions, Decisions.....
I am tired of the hoarding though, but i can't seem to help myself if i can save a car from being crushed and the price is reasonable.
The problem i have now is that i live 180 miles away and they are just sitting there deteriorating.... but not rotting.
Again.... decisions, decisions. I know i'll never get what they are really worth, but that's life i guess.:dontknow:
Tom.

Oh, I've also changed my way's. I would never aquire that much stuff ever again. I dont want anything but my 1 '65 barracuda. At least for now. I will just do 1 car at a time. But I do wish I was not buying everything again.

Nice to know I am among people who understand. That is what makes this site great is seeing that there are others like me who like A bodies.

Let me tell you, the vast majority of people around here do not and they think of them as "some old car".

The one point that I thought was funny was the one about , "do you think you would prefer to have one really nice car instead of four or five incomplete ones? I do not have to think long to answer that question!

I would sell all but the two Dart sports, finish the one nice one then evaluate what you want to do next.

Bob"

The sad fact that I had to really ponder that only indicates the sickness that I suffer from. Normal people would say something like of course I want one decent car.

Why have one when you can have six???? Yeah baby, that's the ticket.

Keeping in mind that I already insure four cars, and can only drive a car for 6 months of the year.

On a serious note, I am going to go air up some tires and get them ready for pics to make a half-hearted attempt at sales.

Be back later. ROB

Hey rob I may be interested in the dart sport roller depending on price. I have a pretty nice 73 that needs some pretty serious work so switching everything over may be easier. Let me know if your gonna sell that one how much and some pics if you could. Thanks Justin

I am literally working on them right now. I just cleaned out the Dusters a sec ago, hands still dirty.

PM me your email and I will see what I can come up with.

ROB

Ok. I can answer at least part of my own question now. I spent about two hours cleaning them out etc. and they are not what I need. Expect a for sale ad here in a day or two.

The two Dusters need to go.....

ROB

Ok. I can answer at least part of my own question now. I spent about two hours cleaning them out etc. and they are not what I need. Expect a for sale ad here in a day or two.

The two Dusters need to go.....

ROB

I think we are all crazy..........I have 5 Abodies, 3 Dusters that are finished, 1 that needs a LOT of attention and a 68 Dodge Dart gt at the body shop. As of late I have been buying engines....mostly 340's but also a 440 and 400....I must be nuts, I have no need for them! maybe one...lol....Most of the 340's I bought were included in some parts that i bought.....so, the question is what is it worth? Date coded 11-72 340 short block?

I will admit that I am learning some photo resizing here. Apple computers are somewhat different than PC's so it is a new experience.

Just monkeying around:munky2:

ROB

14.jpg

1.jpg

12.jpg

I have three cars for sale, one for parts and one that I am parting. So that ought to work better.

I will be left with two when done if all stuff sells. In this economy that is a big if......

One to drive and a twin (more or less) to get a grill out of when I hit a deer.

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.
ROB

Update time. I have since sold off three cars and a fair amount of parts. I would have liked more $ for them, but I did ok and they went to good homes.

How do I feel with one project car, and one parts car? Relieved! Less to store, less to clean off in the winter, etc.

Will I buy more, maybe. But for now it was definately the right thing to do.

I got tired of worrying about the mild crack in the dash growing. Tired of watching the paint oxidize etc.

I am getting rid of all my small block stuff and pretty much everything else on hand around here.

The project car is coming along well, and it should be running here by sometime in the next month.

It is soooo nice being able to focus.

I realize that others don't have concerns with things like I do. But between a yard full of 4x4's, and another 5 Mopar cars it was the right thing for me to do.

Just an update. You might try it if you want.

ROB

Rob,
Thanks for the update. Give us another this time next year! So, is there a garage in the near future for you?
C

I am also thinking about down sizing all my cars.

As soon as I get the crusher price this month at least 60 will be crushed. If the bid is high enough then 150 to 200 will be crushed. Right now I have $135.00 a ton bid but it is supposed to go up. Don't worry all these are 80s and 90s models cars and trucks.
Theives are just making it too much to deal with any longer and I have a serious back problem to boot.

I will have the addition done this fall, and then should be able to do the wing on the side and finally get a car or two (tight) inside. I am looking forward to this very much.

Not worrying about all that stuff was the right thing for me. I think if you lived in a milder climate and had a huge garage it would be ok.

But......working out out of a large shed was not happening.

It was psychological weight loss for sure.

ROB

-
Back