holding the front of the transmission up.

-

jimjimjimmy

lobsterman
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
pulling the sb engine from the duster with a 904 and leaving the tranny in the car what ways do you hold the front of the tranny up for an easy install I also have tti headers .

Thanks .

If the car doesn't have to move, I just leave the small floor jack under the pan with a 2x4 spreading the weight of it. If it has to move, ratchet straps up to a board or bar above.

An added benefit with using the ratchet strap over a floor jack is, the car is still mobile in case you need to move it.

I seem to remember threading a hardwood stick from one side to the other, and resting everything on the Tbars.Not sure.....It's been a while since I had an automatic.
But more often, most often, I took both out together.To me it just seems so much easier.But you do need a tilter

I seem to remember threading a hardwood stick from one side to the other, and resting everything on the Tbars.Not sure.....It's been a while since I had an automatic.
But more often, most often, I took both out together.To me it just seems so much easier.But you do need a tilter
I agree. I just removed/installed my 318 with the 904 attached with a $30 leveler from Harbor Freight. Home Depot sells the same one for the same price. I was hesitant to do both at the same time since it was my first engine pull, but glad I did. Nice to bolt it all up outside of the bay.

The nylon strap around torsion bars works great. Lets you move the trans a bit for alignment to engine.

I put a bolt on each side of the bellhousing then rest it on a bar from one side of the frame to the other..

The nylon strap around torsion bars works great. Lets you move the trans a bit for alignment to engine.

thanks this worked great guy's going to allow for an easy install also .

thanks sgbarracuda I tried to multi quote but it did not work

I put a bolt on each side of the bellhousing then rest it on a bar from one side of the frame to the other..

This is how experienced mechanics do it. When you pull engines daily it's the fastest and easiest way. One long heavy bolt in the correct trans hole on each side and a steel bar laying on the frame. Super simple!! If you're not going to have to move the car then leaving the jack on the tranny will work. Fifty percent of the time (or more) the car usually needs to be rolled forward or backwards as you work on it so the bolts/bar make it real easy.

treblig

Glad you got!

I do not like doing it that way!

To easy to bump the TQ going back in and shifting the front pump bushing! Next thing you know is tranny fluid dripping out the bell housing. Starts slow then starts gushing and your pulling it all out again to repair the front pump and replace a gouged convertor!

Glad you got!

I do not like doing it that way!

To easy to bump the TQ going back in and shifting the front pump bushing! Next thing you know is tranny fluid dripping out the bell housing. Starts slow then starts gushing and your pulling it all out again to repair the front pump and replace a gouged convertor!

I never had that happen yet but I will be careful for sure .l

I never had that happen yet but I will be careful for sure .l

Good deal, be carefull! Seen it to many times including once in my Power Wagon. I knew better but got cockey!

-
Back