Hole in holley 1920 carb?

-

65DaVerted

Reaction score
El1XOLfl.jpg

Is this OK? Drivers side of carb.

I found another picture that seems to have the same hole, so maybe it is?
lvhcarb04.jpg

I used to think that was a crude mod in the field but was informed by someone in the know that some were made this way to get the idle/progressive mixture right.

The only hole I'm aware of in the 1920 is the one on the passenger side of the carb, right under where the accelerator pump is. It's supposed to leak when the accelerator pump diaphragm is compromised.

My original 1920 had 2 holes drilled through on the back of it, so it went in the trash.
Unfiltered air of any amount is just unacceptable for me.
I could tell someone did it too, because they weren't uniform in placement or angle.
Until "Trash" I put short screws in the holes and cut them flush on the inside.

I can't view your photos at work.
I posted years ago about the ~4th Holley 1920 I tried over many decades that finally made my 225 idle like a kitten. All the others gave a rough, missing idle (lean?), even thru various mechanical changes, including finally a complete rebuilt long block. The carb that worked had a hole drilled in the throat. Seemed strange, but I stuffed a cut Q-tip w/ plastic shaft in so that air got filtered.

those holes are there to vent fuel fumes, after a shut down. and some carter AFBs on chrysler O.E.M. had holes like that. latter carbs did not need them, but iam not sure how they work.

Question, why would you ever vent fuel fumes after shutdown? Im good with the facts but woyld like to understand the reason. Also, a pinhole above the throttle blades is going to do nothing but defeat the choke and there are adjustments for that too. Interesting....

Thanks for the answers guys. Of course, my running problems turned out to be electrical, aren't they always?

For now the carb remains holy.:angel12:

If anyone else runs into this problem, a good way to seal up the hole is to use epoxy. The epoxy will ensure no more hole for the rest of the carbs life.

-
Back