Holley 1920 PV/Economizer No Workie...

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
ok guys i rebuilt the carb on my 73,standard 1920.

so with the help of .org and Ted i got the napa kit, cleaned and replaced everything, no biggie

soldered up the low speed air bleed from 1/16 to .040 to get the emulsion system working (much better by the way)

also my PV/Economizer valve was kicking in at 10inches of vac which is high, so i added a a second gasket under the housing and filed a little on the lever.

one thing i noticed is that the at the idle before rebuild (750rpm) it was into the transfer slot, so i drilled an 1/8" hole into the butterfly and lowered the blade all the way, and out of the slot.

ok so re-assembled and started to installed on the car, i noticed that the port for the PV was not open to manifold vacuum, the fiber spacer had no hole for it, hmm... so i cut a little out of it so there would be a path and installed it,cranked to get fuel and bam! idled amazing! was right at 750 and not a miss to be heard (1.5 turns out), but get into where the PV should be and its dead, flat on its face...

so i limped it home(great cruise but no power below 7" of vac) pulled the econimizer cap off thinking the gasket may have plugged the hole, no dice. so i started it up and have a great vac signal right at the PV housing, so i plugged it and pushed the lever inside the body, idle didn't change... so thinking like a normal holley i got some rpm into it and pushed the lever again, nothing...

so im thinking either the circuit is plugged or?? where does it suck its fuel from, i dont know where its getting its fuel so i wonder if low float would uncover it??

any help would be awesome! thanks guys

You should be able to tell by pushing some aerosol carb cleaner through the passage with a snozzle tube. Whenever I've cleaned out a carb, I always blow through every passage I can find to be sure it's clear. I've regretted this a couple of times, too!!! (My eyes!!!)

You should be able to tell by pushing some aerosol carb cleaner through the passage with a snozzle tube. Whenever I've cleaned out a carb, I always blow through every passage I can find to be sure it's clear. I've regretted this a couple of times, too!!! (My eyes!!!)

yea i did all that as i cleaned and also when i was re assebling. problem is i dont which ports in the carb body/plate are for the PV

Doesn't this use a screw in PV? Can't you look in from the PV mount and SEE where they are?

no its kinda a strange thing... ok so the brown/red lever is the fulcrum that pushes on the PV system. not in the pic is the vacuum side of it. when the far right side of the arm is up then the PV is off or high enough vacuum. if its pushed down or on, low vac and needs fuel.

PICT0023.jpg

OK, well when those balls are pushed in to open them, wherever they go "is the passage"

So can't you wedge one / the other open a little and squirt a little cleaner in?

I believe it's also internally "teed" into the main jet passage.

Ed,just my opinion. That fulcrum,looks non level/bent. Maybe my eyes? Just a thought. Would delay the hit,like a bent accelerator pump arm,4150 style.

OK, well when those balls are pushed in to open them, wherever they go "is the passage"

So can't you wedge one / the other open a little and squirt a little cleaner in?

I believe it's also internally "teed" into the main jet passage.

hmm good idea...

Ed,just my opinion. That fulcrum,looks non level/bent. Maybe my eyes? Just a thought. Would delay the hit,like a bent accelerator pump arm,4150 style.

the arm is correct its a very hard plastic to its either fine or broke lol...

-
Back