Holley 2210 two barrel flooding.

-

alpha13

Reaction score
I can't get this carb to stop flooding. Fuel drips from the boosters until there is too much and the engine dies. This carb was in a dodge pickup I drove for years without issue. Then it got parked for 3 years because I haven't had time for it. Brakes went out. Well anyway. I got her up and going again but for the life of me I can't figure out why it's flooding. Nothing changed on the engine at all. I had the carb apart, checked the float to see if it was sinking, I. Checked float level, the needle and seat seemed to be working fine when I blew through it and closed the valve. I cleaned all the passages. I made sure the power valve was free to move. The only thing I can think of is too much fuel.pressure but I never changed the pump so how can that be? I'm at a dead end. Any ideas?

There are several reasons for fuel to dribble out the boosters
1) Fuel level too high
2) power valve not shutting off
3) a lot of airflow through the booster
4) a plugged suction-breaker
5) a too-high idle screw setting

Well, fuel is also coming out the fuel bowl vent at the top. I know the idle screw isn't too high I have it idling very low. About 500 rpm. If I squeeze the fuel line near my fuel pump the carb stops flooding which makes me think that the float might not Float well enough to close the valve.Does this make sense? The travel of the float was fine with no hangups. I don't see why my fuel pressure would be too high since I didn't change the pump, but I will. Check it also.

Oh well then, if the fuel level is that high, theres only one reason. And you already know it. You said the float floats, so put a new valve in there. Unless fuel is going around the valve.Is that possible on a 2210? I forget how the valve is sealed to the bowl.
And you already proved it by pinching the hose

I am more or less here for some reassurance that I'm on the right path here. Two heads are better than one. Or in this case, however many heads want to join this conversation lol. The seat just screws into the carb lid top with a gasket. I am going to see if I can get a new needle, seat and float from the parts store tomorrow. I don't know a whole hell of a lot about carbs. But recently I've been learning a ton due to the Edelbrock problem I had and now this holley.

Update. So I took my carb apart, again, tested my float and whatnot again.I still couldn't figure it out.I got out the air compressor with the float and needle out shot a burst of air through the fuel inlet to the carb. I heard a strange noise, like something had blown loose. Sure enough there was a piece of black something sticking out of the seat on the carb. So I got out my flashlight to look closer. It was a piece of fuel hose. I pulled it out with tweezers. Slapped the carb back together and now she stops flooding! The only thing I can think of is that the piece of rubber was lodged in the carb top and the end would come loose and go through the seat keeping it from sealing all the way. I'm just glad it's running now. I'm guessing my rubber fuel hose is coming apart from the inside. Time for new hose! I will update again if anything else happens. Debris in the seat. This makes me feel dumb. Lol

Haha, yeah that's me. Hopefully One day I'll be as knowledgeable as you! B-)

Reviving an old thread because it has to do with the 2210 Holley and I didn't feel the need to.start a new thread. I'm going to use a stock 73 two barrel 360. The same one in this thread. The question is this. Will this two barrel carb work with a he268 cam. I kindof want to experiment and see if this cam will give be some better gas mileage and torque. Right now with the tiny two barrel cam only gets 17 mpg and cuts out at 4500rpm. I am going to Change out springs for the cam. Would this 2210 Holley be enough? Do you suppose I will have to rejet it or anything? I already own this cam and I thought it would be nice to see it get put to use since I'm going to go with a bigger cam for my duster.

Here is the fix.

1) Unbolt carburetor.

2) Throw it in the ditch.

3) convert to a four barrel.

Those stupid hermorphadite Holleys are nothin but a PITA.

Hi, sounds like you've got a fun project going! Years ago, in auto shop class, they said that whenever you change a cam you should also put in new lifters. I don't know if this is still the case, but you should ask your cam supplier about it.
Also.... take a look at this info on cam break-in.
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/ccrp-0702-break-in-new-cam/
Good Luck
DBH

Oh don't worry, I know all about changing lifters with a cam. And break in. Roller cams on the other hand don't need a break in or a change in lifters. I guess it's not always safe to assume everyone knows that. But I'm sure most of us here already do haha. Thanks anyway though. And to Rusty, I've heard bad things about that carb but I've never had a problem with mine. I do have a performer and an eddy 600 on the shelf I just don't want to bother with it since I plan on using it on something else soon. I just thought it would be nice to keep my two barrel. It kinda keeps me from flooring it everywhere haha.:burnout:

Well, the 2210 has less total flow that the primaries only on a 600 cfm 1850 Holley. Not sure what will happen when you exceed the air flow which I am guessing will take place well below 4000 RPM. I would expect rejetting as the carb is wildly mismatched in flow to the cam. My fear would be leaning out when the carb's air flow reaches its limit.

I have overcarbed several engines but have never undercarbed one by 2:1!

Well I don't plan on winding it up. This engine is in my dodge pickup. I was hoping it would increase some low end power and gas mileage. That's what the cam is advertised for anyway. So if I wind it up too Much you think my carb will lean that badly? I figured with a lower vacuum signal the thing might run a little rich. So it's not really feasible to run that cam with this unmodified two barrel. It would take too much tuning to get it to run right?

I've turned many sm bks engine to 7800rpm with a holly and gm 500 cfm 2barrels carbs you can be very surprised what a little carb can do on a dirt track .

Yes, but this is not a 500 cfm Holley, not even close.

As far as what it will do when flat out..... I am only expressing a fear/concern. I have never 'over-engined' a carb. Perhaps try it, run it flat out for several seconds, shut off the ignition and drift to a stop, and read the plugs. But I did not tell you to do it!

The 2210/2245 Holley is rated 385cfm @3"Hg depression,which is only 272cfm @
1.5"Hg depression,which is the standard for rating 4bbl carbs.I ran one on My built /6,
and it wasn't enough for it,so ....... Will it run better w/the cam anyway?You betcha.Is
that carb enuff to get any where near what the cam offers?Not a chance.
:coffee2:

Say what?

And I like unicorns and candy and butterflies!!!!

Oh, and the biggest issue w/the 2210/2245(which has an adj. PV BTW),
is that the air cleaner stud anchors in the upper casting. Over-tightening the wing nut
pulls it up and causes the accel. pump ports to leak down the body instead of dis-
charging out of the shooters as intended.They take std. holley jets, so re-jetting is
easy enuff,if you wanna.

-
Back