holley 4010 kickdown?

-

fredsmedina

6 Dart 7 MOPAR OR NOCAR
Reaction score
is anyone running a holley 4010 carburetor? or similar carb?
the previous owner of my satellite put together the kickdown really screwey.
i just want to see what the kickdown linkage is supposed to look like.
would it be worth buying a lokar kickdown cable setup or sometihng similar?
and how hard are those to set up? will I need any of the original brackets? because i'm not too sure if i'm missing anything.

The Lokar setup is fairly easy to install and adj.Make sure to put a return spring on your kickdown arm at the tranny,if you go this route.Good Luck.

Page #4 post #52, http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10508
I used the Lokar cable system for my OE Carter and 904. You'll have to purchase the Throttle Cable, Tranny cable, bracket to hold them both all seprate. It was a pain to figure out what I needed because there "KIT" was not a kit but seprate parts.

I have to dig up the part numbers for another member later.

Theres also cheaper routes to go I'm told.

The Lokar cable and bracket numbers for a small block and a 904 trans are;
Stainless steel throttle cable bracket and springs; SRK-4000
Polished Hi-Tech 904 kickdown cable; KDP-2904HT
Throttle cable (Hi tech) TC-1000HT

I bought both the throttle cable and trans. cable at the same time so it was a piece of cake installing them. If you just get the trans. cable you'll have to make some sort of bracket like Rob said. If you get both kits they have everything you need.

thanks. thats what I thought that i'd have to also buy the throttle cable. but wasn't too sure. now you guys confirmed it..

is there anything bad about driving my automatic column shift car manually shifting through the gears? going 1st, 2nd, then drive.?

because seems when I do this, the tranny doesn't slip at all. but when i just try to drive in Drive, it slips while shifting between 2nd and 3rd gears..

Don't drive it till you get it set up. Driveing it "D" will destroy the trans in 10-20 miles. And I mean destroy the trans to the point of a new one will be needed.

Don't drive it till you get it set up. Driveing it "D" will destroy the trans in 10-20 miles. And I mean destroy the trans to the point of a new one will be needed.

it doesn't slip or anything when i shift it manualy though. and i keep it real low RPM's. I drove it back from 200 miles when I bought it, and have been driving it daily for the past week. should I really stop driving it? I read somewhere on another mopar forum that i should shift manually like this so that it doesn't slipp..

but my dad said that that doesn't sound right, so maybe people saying that thats whay i should do were just talking out of their azzes

I gotta say that it's odd that shifting manually makes any difference in the shift quality on the 2-3 shift because no matter how it shifts (manually or automatically) the throttle pressure is regulated the same whether it's in drive or you manually shift it. But as Rob said you really need to get it fixed or your taking a huge chance of destroying the trans. The "kickdown" as alot of people call it isn't really specifically for kickdown although it functions as such. It is a throttle pressure regulator for the trans. If it's not hooked up or working correctly the hydraulic pressure on the clutch plates and band servo's will be low and let them slip as you've seen by it slipping in drive. It doesn't take much slippage of the clutch plates and/or bands to trash the trans.

I gotta say that it's odd that shifting manually makes any difference in the shift quality on the 2-3 shift because no matter how it shifts (manually or automatically) the throttle pressure is regulated the same whether it's in drive or you manually shift it. But as Rob said you really need to get it fixed or your taking a huge chance of destroying the trans. The "kickdown" as alot of people call it isn't really specifically for kickdown although it functions as such. It is a throttle pressure regulator for the trans. If it's not hooked up or working correctly the hydraulic pressure on the clutch plates and band servo's will be low and let them slip as you've seen by it slipping in drive. It doesn't take much slippage of the clutch plates and/or bands to trash the trans.

will be ordering that stuff today(the "kickdown: cable, bracket, and throttle cable.)

and will install it ASAP. didn't realize that it was this serious. hopefully my tranny will survive. but worst case, I have a TCI streetfighter 727 that I can borrow from my dart for now.

Thanks for all the help guys

it doesn't slip or anything when i shift it manualy though. and i keep it real low RPM's. I drove it back from 200 miles when I bought it, and have been driving it daily for the past week. should I really stop driving it? I read somewhere on another mopar forum that i should shift manually like this so that it doesn't slipp..

but my dad said that that doesn't sound right, so maybe people saying that thats whay i should do were just talking out of their azzes

Thats the wonderful thing about the net and peoples azzez.

You should listen to your dad.

Talk to a real tranny guy. The trans won't slip till it's to late. The tranny was designed to have a certain amount of pressure when it's driving and that is adjusted by the tranny lever on the side which is moved by the throttle, which isn't moving it. SO! Since you have no pressure (Or very little of it) What do you think is happening to the inside?

Preety much, you wouldn't drive your car with 5 or less LBS of pressure at max no matter what the rpm is now would you? Much less get on the Hwy. with it. But you do so with the tranny.

Hope your tranny isn't half burnt up. You (LOL) brush it off with a "I have a 727" but who the freak wants to do a tranny job when they didn't have to? If you like working on cars that much, come on over, I got JOBS for you! :toothy10:

Thats the wonderful thing about the net and peoples azzez.

You should listen to your dad.

Talk to a real tranny guy. The trans won't slip till it's to late. The tranny was designed to have a certain amount of pressure when it's driving and that is adjusted by the tranny lever on the side which is moved by the throttle, which isn't moving it. SO! Since you have no pressure (Or very little of it) What do you think is happening to the inside?

Preety much, you wouldn't drive your car with 5 or less LBS of pressure at max no matter what the rpm is now would you? Much less get on the Hwy. with it. But you do so with the tranny.

Hope your tranny isn't half burnt up. You (LOL) brush it off with a "I have a 727" but who the freak wants to do a tranny job when they didn't have to? If you like working on cars that much, come on over, I got JOBS for you! :toothy10:

definitely gonna take the truck tomorrow then!
i wont drive it again until I get the throttle pressure regulator(kickdown) all hooked up correctly..

how do i know if the tranny is ruined at all yet? Is there anything that i'd be able to tell without removing transmission at all?

and its not that I like working on cars that much. actually i've never done a tranny sway yet.. but thats why i said "worst case". lol

okay. so the ups guy should be here any minute with all of my Lokar stuff. So i'm going to be putting it all on tomorrow afternoon. Since the tranny slips between 2nd and 3rd, could it be just the kickdown? or is it more likely that I'll still have other transmission issues? I haven't driven it in 2 days since i realized how serious of an issue it was.. so hopefully it isn't too far gone.

Fred if you took it easy on the trans. it might still be fine. You may have shortened it's life but you may not have burned it up totally. The throttle pressure linkage (kickdown) will definitely make it slip between 2nd and 3rd if not working right.

Fred if you took it easy on the trans. it might still be fine. You may have shortened it's life but you may not have burned it up totally. The throttle pressure linkage (kickdown) will definitely make it slip between 2nd and 3rd if not working right.

alright. thank you. i'll update this post after i put everything together tomorrow. hopefully i'll be able to figure it all out!

and i got under the car today and realized that the small access plate that goes over the inspection cover for the transmission was missing. So does any one know of a good place to get one?

Your welcome. Those little access covers are extremely rare. You can probably make something out of a piece of sheet metal pretty easy can't you?

Your welcome. Those little access covers are extremely rare. You can probably make something out of a piece of sheet metal pretty easy can't you?

yah. should be able to. i'll figure out what guage it is tomorrow. I know that jims auto parts sells them. but they're expensive if i remember correctly, and they always screw youover on shipping from my experiences. I'll be at my local steel yard tomorrow to get some tubing for a car dolly that i'm building. So i'll pick up some sheet metal to make the little access cover. thanks again fishy68.

im getting a original kickdown setup for mine but ive been driving with my kickdown wired on half its not great for it but not 10-20miles like a year or 2 but its better to have it ive been driving for 4 months like that get ity done but u dont have to quit right now

UPDATE: got the kickdown linkage all hooked up to the tranny, and the throttle cable hooked up half way. still need to finish up installing everything tomorrow and also adjusting the kickdown..It just got dark really early here and got really cold too.

What should have been the simplest thing today took the most time. I couldn't get the stock throttle cable through the fire wall. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how the grommet in the firewall was supposed to come apart.

will try to get pictures of it once I finish though.

Fred I bet the entire gas pedal assy. comes out so you can replace the cable easily. It has 2 nuts you take off located on the firewall close to where the grommet comes through. At least that's the way it is on my 68 Cuda.

Fred I bet the entire gas pedal assy. comes out so you can replace the cable easily. It has 2 nuts you take off located on the firewall close to where the grommet comes through. At least that's the way it is on my 68 Cuda.

well I bought the lokar cable to replace the stock one. and the stock one had some sort of plastic piece that was 2 pieces that held it into the firewall. I already got the whole thing out and the new one in. I was just saying that so far, that was the only pain in the ***..

I understand you are replacing the stock cables. If your pedal assy. (not cable, pedal assy.) wasn't held on by 2 nuts it must be different than mine.

What kind of car do you have?

I understand you are replacing the stock cables. If your pedal assy. (not cable, pedal assy.) wasn't held on by 2 nuts it must be different than mine.

What kind of car do you have?
oh sorry. didn't understand what you were saying. the pedal assembly is held on by 2 bolts that go into the floor.
And even If I would have removed the pedal assembly, the entire throttle cable would not have fit through the "grommet" on the firewall

and this is all on my '73 satellite. I know its not an A-body. but I knew that there would be very knowledgeable people like yourself that could help me with it..

-
Back