Holley 670 street avenger problem

-

63dartman

Reaction score
I have a 670 street avenger on a 360. I am having problems starting the car. When cold it will not pump any fuel no matter how many times I pump it. One shot of starting fluid and it fires right up. Looking in the carb I can see that there is no fuel coming from the squirters when trying to start it. I'm thinking there is something wrong with the idle circuit but, I am not sure where to start. Any help would be appreciated.

I have the same carb on my 360. I was under the impression the initial shot of gas when you goose the throttle before start up came from the accelerator pump. I would check the linkage and diaphragm first . Also make sure the gas is not evaporating leaving the carb dry. My 25c worth of advise.

I just pulled the front bowl and pump is working. It shot fuel out when I worked the lever. I did notice my jets were not tight. Tightened those and put it back together and still no squirt. :)

If the pump works off the carb but not on, i'd look at the plastic pump cam on the throttle lever and make sure it hasn't come loose or cracked? Also, make sure the lever hasn't come out of adjustment. Does the bowl look clean inside? Could a piece of trash gotten into the squirter and blocked it. One other thing, make sure the hole in the bowl gasket is lined up with the transfer port on the metering block.

Pull the squirter and check for occlusions. Be careful not to drop the metal washer inside the carb.

Yes....... And also, don't pump the with the squirter off without removing the check needle, or it could end up in the intake also.

Thanks for the info. I do believe I have a blockage somewhere. I was trying to fix this without removing the carb but, It looks like I don't have any options. Of course this is my first night back to work for the week so, I have to wait till Sunday to get on this. Thanks for all the advice and I will update when I find something out.

I have had the check ball , pump discharge check needle get stuck under the nozzle screw my guess from what I've read so far .

It squirts fuel when you hit the lever, not squirting when working the throttle arm?

If so, that's an adjustment issue with the pump cam and arm is my guess.

Check that the throttle shaft return spring is not interfering with your pump arm/cam. Might need to make some physical adjustments to the pump arm, etc.

Happens to us all the time when we let it sit for more than a week or two. The squirter check valve is stuck in its bore from the crappy gas. Remove the squirter and spray some carb cleaner down its passage. Let it sit for a few then hold a shop rag on the passage and work the pump slowly. You should get a shot . You have to be careful the valve or check ball doesnt come flying out.I would stuff a rag in the venturies to prevent an accident. Youll become a pro after about five times.

Back to reading comprehension lab for me.

Check valve or gaskets not lining up properly would be the next two areas to look at IMO.

I have the 770 on my 360 and it works great but when I first got it I had to bend the linkage to get the accelerator pump to work instantly. It worked when you moved the linkage to about 1/4 throttle but not instantly. Just had to tweek it a little to get the pump adjustment right. You may have a very simple problem, look down and work that linkage a little to see what happening. Thats my 2 cents.

Happens to us all the time when we let it sit for more than a week or two. The squirter check valve is stuck in its bore from the crappy gas. Remove the squirter and spray some carb cleaner down its passage. Let it sit for a few then hold a shop rag on the passage and work the pump slowly. You should get a shot . You have to be careful the valve or check ball doesnt come flying out.I would stuff a rag in the venturies to prevent an accident. Youll become a pro after about five times.

Happens to all of us? I could let it sit for a month, doesn't happen to me.

Happens to all of us? I could let it sit for a month, doesn't happen to me.

I meant me and my kids. And it is also quite common to others I know. Do you experience every problem that we try to help members out with? Maybe your squirter passage has more clearance than mine and this paticular member I was trying to help . Why not post a possible remidy instead of criticism?

OK, i got back on this and I took it apart again. Could not find any blocked passages, used compressed air to check. put it all back together and still no squirt. Even if I manually move the pump arm I still get no fuel.:violent1: Soooooo I cheated:) I found a almost new edelbrock 750 on craigslist 10 minutes from the house and for 100.00 bucks. Bolted it up and works perfectly. :cheers::cheers:
The guy I got it from is a chevy guy but, he says he has 30 years experience and over 300 rebuilds on holley's and such. He would charge me 25$ to check it out and see if he can find the problem. If parts or gaskets are needed it would be just the cost of the parts. He is a retired guy with too much time on his hands. Seemed like a real nice guy though. I may just tear into it my self and see if I can figure it out. I just don't have alot of experience with Carb issues. I guess there is only one way to get experience:) Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

-
Back