Holley Carb Id

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So, I'm not really familiar with HOLLEY carbs.

How do ID this to find out what CFM and pretty much, what is it? :)

Where are the numbers

20200417_153406.jpg

20200417_153746.jpg

Look on the outside flat section of the air horn for a Holley list number and date code.

Thanks for the replies, this is the first Holley I'm going to mess with.

So far I'm not impressed how this thing is just pissing fuel everywhere.

I'm going to try to rebuild it and use it. I took it off a slant six so the size makes sense.

Thanks

Those are kind of a pisser to rebuild because of the metering blocks and transfer tube. Other than that it's just another Holley. Yes, old gaskets leak fuel.

Make sure you buy the good Holley kit with the blue gaskets. The base plate gaskets shrink like crazy. You also want make sure you have the venturies adjusted properly or they dont idle worth a darn...you do that on the bottom, there is a small flat screw you adjust. I believe the blades should be open about 1/32" to allow air to flow through at idle. I used to hate Holleys but, since I started using the Holleys kits and the blue gaskets I have had a lot of luck with them. If ya buy a cheap knock off kit they dont work!!!

They are very simple carburetors to build and adjust. Make SURE when you take it apart to pay attention to "which" metering block gaskets it had, as the kit will come with a few different ones and you need to use the correct set.

Make sure you buy the good Holley kit with the blue gaskets. The base plate gaskets shrink like crazy. You also want make sure you have the venturies adjusted properly or they dont idle worth a darn...you do that on the bottom, there is a small flat screw you adjust. I believe the blades should be open about 1/32" to allow air to flow through at idle. I used to hate Holleys but, since I started using the Holleys kits and the blue gaskets I have had a lot of luck with them. If ya buy a cheap knock off kit they dont work!!!

I’d pay extra for Superformance gaskets. They are the ONLY gaskets that take pump gas without shrinking, they don’t stick and you can reuse them.

you can change the bowls to center hung "cathedral" style and have the individual fuel inlets like a 3310/750 if the transfer tube bugs you. like everyone says here, reset the blades to show a perfect square on the idle transfer slot. There is a little headless screw on the bottom that you can turn to adjust the secondary throttle blade stop, You may have to file a screwdriver to fit it in there as its pretty small. its at the end of the throttle shaft and is about 2-3mm deep in a threaded hole.

NO! Do not adjust the secondary throttle plate to be further open at idle!
Especially not so far open that the secondary transfer slot is showing. :BangHead:
Cracking the secondary side a bit more is method to get a little more air in when it can't be accomplished with the primary side, or PCV valve, or increased manifold vacuum.

Do you guys know how far up the secondary transfer slot is on that carb? :BangHead:

before installing the carb measure (with a drill or feeler gage) how many turns of the idle screw it takes to 'show' .020" of transfer slot. Count how many turns it takes to 'show' .030" and 0.040". Write those numbers down. That's the acceptable range for setting the idle throttle opening at slow idle. Outside that range will cause delayed response or flat spot as the throttle is opened while driving.

-
Back