Holley/Demon Carb stumble

-
With all the frustration I have when thru, and the frustration i have pulled you guys thru........I want to say It Run GOOOD DON'T TOUCH IT..............................AHhhh well, i just thru jets at it, haven't dialed them in, haven't put my new plugs in so i can do some reading of them. There is more in this set up..........and i have documented how it is set up now. So i can go back. if i get spun out.

The thing that's still in the back of my head, is that it acts up for the first few runs and then starts to work........so i don't know it's fix....a....Yet
What i do know is that i made my first run before it was totally warmed up(this alway caused a bog) The in park idle to slowly 4000 rpm is way smoother and cleaner. The vary slightly tip in of the throttle (enough to make the car move) had a rough spot that is not there. throttle control just to pull it up the ramps on my car trailer was smooth and much more throttle response(less throttle to do the job)

I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel...........and i'm pretty, sure its not a TRAIN:eek: this time.:D

Off to edit my video.

With all the frustration I have when thru, and the frustration i have pulled you guys thru........I want to say It Run GOOOD DON'T TOUCH IT..............................AHhhh well, i just thru jets at it, haven't dialed them in, haven't put my new plugs in so i can do some reading of them. There is more in this set up..........and i have documented how it is set up now. So i can go back. if i get spun out.

The thing that's still in the back of my head, is that it acts up for the first few runs and then starts to work........so i don't know it's fix....a....Yet
What i do know is that i made my first run before it was totally warmed up(this alway caused a bog) The in park idle to slowly 4000 rpm is way smoother and cleaner. The vary slightly tip in of the throttle (enough to make the car move) had a rough spot that is not there. throttle control just to pull it up the ramps on my car trailer was smooth and much more throttle response(less throttle to do the job)

I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel...........and i'm pretty, sure its not a TRAIN:eek: this time.:D

Off to edit my video.

Good plan. As long as you write down your base line, you can always go back to it. I'm pretty sure those blocks come with .031 emulsion. That's quite a bit if you have 3 holes open. More emulsion usually means you need a bigger jet.

The latest issue of Car Craft has an interesting article on carb tuning when you are trying to correct getting on the booster to soon and some other things. They still didn't have the power valve timed correctly. SMMFH. But there is some good stuff in the article. Which is going to affect my tune up. Im going back to 1:1 throttle linkage and power valves in both ends.

Good plan. As long as you write down your base line, you can always go back to it. I'm pretty sure those blocks come with .031 emulsion. That's quite a bit if you have 3 holes open. More emulsion usually means you need a bigger jet.

The latest issue of Car Craft has an interesting article on carb tuning when you are trying to correct getting on the booster to soon and some other things. They still didn't have the power valve timed correctly. SMMFH. But there is some good stuff in the article. Which is going to affect my tune up. Im going back to 1:1 throttle linkage and power valves in both ends.

My proform metering block has 5 holes with one blocked(2nt one up) I never measured then, i have no idea what size they are.

Got called out to a unit and just got back. Will have the video up in a while. Fingers crossed.

OK here it is. it's long because i didn't want to edit for another couple of hours.
The first part is just me walking the pits with the gopro and then videoing a couple of races once i got up to the starting line. So the first 10-12 minutes is just that. So you can just fast forward past that part if you want. But the last race i video was kinda humorous.
Then, i think it the last two round of my racing. bike in the semis and fox body mustang in the finals. listen carefully and you will hear him say "want to runn um again for a 100 bucks.........That i knee jerked a SHURRRRRE. Glad he wasn't serious, as i had 10 buck to my name on me.:D

The last two races were from the rear of my car so you can't see much. but if you look under and to the right. you will see the bike blow by me in the semi (he red lit but i didn't know) and the finals you see him sneak up and match my speed to the end.
When i launch, forget about the suspension and the tire wrinkling....Do you see that left from tire. I could almost slide a piece of paper under the tire!!!!

Caution, it's 21 minutes of your life you will never get back:poke::thankyou::thumbsup:

Do your remember this metering block from 10 plus pages ago?
BIG JETS(148's).PNG

I thought that it came with jet extension......NOPE! They are jets! and they say 146,s:wtf:sure glad i didn't even try to use this one!!!!
Ok moving on.

have been working way to much and on call for the last two week straight. Good for the wallet but not so much for the sole or, my car.:)
So, i have decided to keep the demon bowls on my ProForm carb.
Have also decided to buy all the part to put the demon back together. so both will be sporting Demon fuel bowls,, floats, needles and seats, exc.
Over 200 dollars in parts.
don't know if i will have both carb's ready for the next, and last race, of the season, but it is the plan.

Hoping to get out to the track for a little test and tuning before the last race. last race is the 28th so hoping to make it out next weekend to do some testing.

I should just leave it the ("F") alone! And trying to make a repeat of last race(don't get me wrong, it would be nice) but i'm not really after the win or the trophy as i am after the tune for now. tune and traction, that is.

Thinking also about delusing my 110 racing fuel to a 50/50 with pump premium. and see what happens..........

Traction really has not been a issue after i lowered my launch rpm.

Need extend my exhaust, so i can get more then full throttle reading from my o2 sensor.

Last edited:
have been working way to much and on call for the last to week straight. Good for the wallet but not so much for the sole or, my car.:)
So, i have decided to keep the demon bowls on my ProForm carb.
Have also decided to buy all the part to put the demon back together. so both will be sporting Demon fuel bowls,, floats, needles and seats, exc.
Over 200 dollars in parts.
don't know if i will have both carb's ready for the next, and last race, of the season, but it is the plan.

Hoping to get out to the track for a little test and tuning before the last race. last race is the 28th so hoping to make it out next weekend to do some testing.

I should just leave it the ("F") alone! And trying to make a repeat of last race(don't get me wrong, it would be nice) but i'm not really after the win or the trophy as i am of the tune for now. tune and traction, that is.

Thinking also about delusing my 110 racing fuel to a 50/50 with pump premium. and see what happens..........

Traction really has not been a issue after i lowered my launch rpm.

Need extend my exhaust, so i can get more then full throttle reading from my o2 sensor.

If you go to the power valve tuning thread in the fuel and air forum, I've posted two pictures of milled away metering blocks, and Mattx went in and did some nice art work to show where the fuel and air are, and where it's all going.

Have a look at that.

Not that it really matters, but what’s the attraction for buying another set of Demon bowls as opposed to something from Proform or QFT?
Good deal on a used set?

Btw, what track are you racing at?

LOL Well...........the proform, likes them bowls:D
And i might as well have the same bowls on both carb. only need one tool if i have the proform on, or the demon. Also i ordered the same inlets so switching carbs is simple simple.

What track are you racing at?

Hypoxia
You know, the track that you need a Oxygen mask for the driver:eek:, and Nitrous for the car.......to be fast.:poke::D

It worse then that.
We all most always have a head wind.
It's built on a old, old airport and the track runs up hill. seven (7') feet from the starting line, to the finish line.

This is what we started with.
40988Begining_life_project_drag_str.jpg

the grass was 4 feet tall in places
DSC01570.jpg

You can see the incline there, but didn't ever think it was 7 feet.
DSC01564.JPG
DSCN0521.jpg

and you can see on our site what it looks like now.

And all non profit deal.
7 of us have been at it for some 15 years now.
Every year we try to improve on the biggest problem.
Spectator seating and billboard at the end of the track to show et and mph, is the hope for next year.

I know this is kinda like bragging about your children. No one really cares about it but you. But i'm proud of what we have accomplished with little to 0 dollars.

It is so close to packing the front tires........It might have to go on a slight diet this winter!!!

Its soooo close.jpg

Not that it really matters, but what’s the attraction for buying another set of Demon bowls as opposed to something from Proform or QFT?
Good deal on a used set?

Btw, what track are you racing at?
Demon bowls hold more fuel. Holley sells extensions to increase bowl volume.

This is what we started with.
View attachment 1715394268
the grass was 4 feet tall in places
View attachment 1715394270
You can see the incline there, but didn't ever think it was 7 feet.
View attachment 1715394271 View attachment 1715394272
and you can see on our site what it looks like now.

And all non profit deal.
7 of us have been at it for some 15 years now.
Every year we try to improve on the biggest problem.
Spectator seating and billboard at the end of the track to show et and mph, is the hope for next year.

I know this is kinda like bragging about your children. No one really cares about it but you. But i'm proud of what we have accomplished with little to 0 dollars.

Very cool. We are loosing tracks on a regular basis. To get one up and going is awesome. IDK if it goes up or down hill. Maybe someday you'll have enough to rebuild the track and fix it. Everybody has to run on the same track so it's all even in the end.

That’s a cool little track.

You guys did a great job with it!

If I ever find myself out that way, I’ll make it a point to check it out in person.

Last race of the season Is this week end.
work has been crazy!! got the week end off for the race BUT............ NOW THEY SAY IT'S GOING TO RAIN!!!!!!! Grrrrrr!!!!!
I hope mother nature changer her mind but i have not got a thing done. So i may add a couple degrees of timing and see what that does but other then that it will be the same old as last time.

Why are you surprised?
A little town like ours, can't have a drag strip:poke::lol:

-
Back