Holley Help Needed

-

Ozcuda

gotta love a MOPAR
Reaction score
Hi Guy's,

Just replced my nice 273/904 comb in my 63 wagon with a 360/727 combo it is +40 with a 340/360 performance cam (stage 3) standard compression 727 has HD cluctches & bands with a stage 2 shift kit I'm running a eddy single plan with a 600 Holley which was jetted with 63's for the 273. Now my question is what size jets do I need to use with the 360.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers Graham

The actual cam size and compresion would be helpful. I have never ever heard of a stage 3 cam.

Try going up 5 jet sizes.

I think you may have a major imbalance going on here with your engine. A single plane and small carb are the tip offs.

What is the Holley part # on the choke tower?
Me or someone else can then look up the jetting it was set up with originally as well as the application.

Thanks for the quick reply Rumble...The cam specs are Dur @ 50...214/224 V/lift 444/467 it is a dynotec cam part number CM371D...Was thinking that the 600 vac was going to be to small but I only just got the motor in & running yesterday & not much time left to get ready for the drags I was hoping to use the carb I have till after the race meet then I was going to get another inlet manifold & carb.

...As for compression it would be around 8.5to1 or 9to1 basicly standard.

I'm using a single plan as I plan to take it to the strip this weekend.

Hey Loco. How are ya?!

OZcuda
The carb, cam and compresion are good. The intake should be changed out for a decent dual plane. You'll gain alot of torque and run better/faster with it.

Even a factory iron 4bbl intake is good seeing that the cam is small.

I would start at 70. In truth, try to find a 750cfm carb for it and a stock intake or maybe the std Performer would be a good substitute.

Hey Loco.

The carb, cam and compresion are good. The intake should be changed out for a decent dual plane. You'll gain alot of torque and run better/faster with it.

Even a factory iron 4bbl intake is good seeing that the cam is small.

Ok so the Edlebrock streetperformer single plan is out.....I have a new Edlebrock performer dual plan here is that any good for what I want to do ???

Again I only have the 600 Vac Holley for now but will upgrade soon I was thinking that I would start with changing the 63 jet to 67 & see if that helps yesterdays test run the car seemed to lack top end just wouldn't rev up quickly...

Also what timing would you recommend I setit at 10 BTDC at the moment & it seems to start & run fine no run on or pinging.

Cheers Graham.

get the list number off the carb...look it up at holley website...

start with stock jetting...most of the time the stock jetting is pretty close ...

Ok so the Edlebrock streetperformer single plan is out.....I have a new Edlebrock performer dual plan here is that any good for what I want to do ???

Again I only have the 600 Vac Holley for now but will upgrade soon I was thinking that I would start with changing the 63 jet to 67 & see if that helps yesterdays test run the car seemed to lack top end just wouldn't rev up quickly...

Also what timing would you recommend I setit at 10 BTDC at the moment & it seems to start & run fine no run on or pinging.

Cheers Graham.

Graham, Lets iron out a thing or two here. The lingo between oceans is going to get things mixed up.

What is the exact name of this single plane "Edelbrock street performer" you have now?

What is the exact name of the dual plane intake manifold you have.

The lack of a quick rev can be a multi issue problem. We'll get to that in a min. Lets just get things squared away first. A 600 cfm carb is not an end all item.
Well get to timing in a second as well.

Graham, Lets iron out a thing or two here. The lingo between oceans is going to get things mixed up.

What is the exact name of this single plane "Edelbrock street performer" you have now?

What is the exact name of the dual plane intake manifold you have.

The lack of a quick rev can be a multi issue problem. We'll get to that in a min. Lets just get things squared away first. A 600 cfm carb is not an end all item.
Well get to timing in a second as well.

OK the single plan manifold is an old Edlebrock streetmaster it is a very old manifold & I was recommended to use a single plan as it would work better on the drag strip that is why I put it on as it was just sitting here doing nothing I decided to give it a try...

The dual plan is a Edlebrock performer

the rpm will be a better choice with the cam and compression. the carb is small, but should not really hurt it until above 4000 rpm.

OK cool.

I myself would use performer. But give them both a shot. It can't hurt and well, lets face it, fun.

The carb cfm size is fine. The engine isn't going to gobble down air like crazy. It'll do for now.

Also what timing would you recommend I setit at 10 BTDC at the moment & it seems to start & run fine no run on or pinging

Is the distributor a MoPar Performance unit that has an adjustable vacuum advance unit on the side?

I think another 5* would be a better starting point. Vacuum hose off when you set it up. Leave it off for a run down the track. If it pings, back it off alittle.

Now that will be intail timing plus mechanical advance timing only. On the next run, hook up the vacuum hose and see if it pings when you go down the track. IF it pings, back down the timing.If you can adjust it.

IF not, you'll need MoPars quick advance springs for the distributor. This will allow for good intail timing and a quick mechanical advance. You'll need to limit your vacuum advance one way or another. IF it is the MoPar distributor, the 5/16 *I Think it is* allen key will be used to limit the advance or you'll have a stock distibutor and have to retard the timing to avoid a pinging problem.

yesterdays test run the car seemed to lack top end just wouldn't rev up quickly...
OH, a quick rev up is the job of good valve springs and a numerically higher rear end ratio.

OK cool.

I myself would use performer. But give them both a shot. It can't hurt and well, lets face it, fun.

The carb cfm size is fine. The engine isn't going to gobble down air like crazy. It'll do for now.

Is the distributor a MoPar Performance unit that has an adjustable vacuum advance unit on the side?

I think another 5* would be a better starting point. Vacuum hose off when you set it up. Leave it off for a run down the track. If it pings, back it off alittle.

Now that will be intail timing plus mechanical advance timing only. On the next run, hook up the vacuum hose and see if it pings when you go down the track. IF it pings, back down the timing.If you can adjust it.

IF not, you'll need MoPars quick advance springs for the distributor. This will allow for good intail timing and a quick mechanical advance. You'll need to limit your vacuum advance one way or another. IF it is the MoPar distributor, the 5/16 *I Think it is* allen key will be used to limit the advance or you'll have a stock distibutor and have to retard the timing to avoid a pinging problem.

OK I'll knock it up to 15* I am using a Mallory electronic 1 of those ready to run dizzies......I'll put in some 70 jets & take it out for a spin. If I'm not happy I will swap manifolds.

& by the way I'm running 3:9 to 1 rear & have fitted valve springs to suit the cam selection.

Thanks again Graham

the rpm will be a better choice with the cam and compression. the carb is small, but should not really hurt it until above 4000 rpm.

Ok that explans a little as when I get around 4000rpm the accelaration flattens out....Looks like I might have to folk out to get a bigger carb to go faster for this weekends nostalgia drags.

Someone mentioned a 750 above, which would be real good to use.
Nice! 3.91, and a Malory. Good yum yum gooood.

Grham, I think it'll be good.

Ok so now I have some direction I'm off to play & see what happens.

Thanks for the help everybody I will let you know how I go in the next few days with the changes & at the drags on the weekend I'm hoping to get into the 13's which I think would be good for my old work horse wagon.

cheers Graham.

OK the single plan manifold is an old Edlebrock streetmaster it is a very old manifold & I was recommended to use a single plan as it would work better on the drag strip that is why I put it on as it was just sitting here doing nothing I decided to give it a try...

The dual plan is a Edlebrock performer

The Edelbrock Streetmaster is an economy intake that is literally choking your 360. Even though it's a single plane intake, it was designed for fuel mileage and very low rpm torque around the mid-'70's during the first fuel shortage. SP2P and the OLD original Torker are bad manifolds also.

As others have suggested, a 750, preferably with vacuum secondaries, would help, but not with the Streetmaster.

A regular Edelbrock Performer would be a step up, but it has smaller runners than better intakes for your combo, like LD340, Performer RPM & Air Gap, Weiand Stealth, LD4B. These are all dual plane intakes and I think would be better overall than a single plane intake.

Hi Guy's,

Just replced my nice 273/904 comb in my 63 wagon with a 360/727 combo it is +40 with a 340/360 performance cam (stage 3) standard compression 727 has HD cluctches & bands with a stage 2 shift kit I'm running a eddy single plan with a 600 Holley which was jetted with 63's for the 273. Now my question is what size jets do I need to use with the 360.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers Graham

Graham, go to this site and you will get all the information you are seeking. I am currently working on my Holley and have found truly excellent information on this site.
www.mortec.com/carbtip1.htm

OK I'm back from a blast around the streets I increased my timing to 15* & installed a set of 72 jets in the 600 vac holley.

results are it binged a little but the acceloration did improve it seem to rev quite happy to just over 5000rpm but feels like a 750 vac would really wake up the old girl & it moving.

I will endevor to get hold of a 750 vac & change to the Edlebrock performer dual plan & see what happens.

Stay tuned

Cheers Graham.

If you have a unilite Mallory, the centrifical may be a bear to tailer. I'd imagine you have too much total now with 15° initial. On my Unilite, I had to bend the stop tang in the bottom of the distributor to limit the centrifical to where I could run 15-18° initial timing.

It pinged? Back it off 5*.

Hi Again,

Now here is the latest I have got the timing set at 12* & have changed the manifold to the Edlebrock Performer dual plan still have the 600 holley as I haven't been able to get a 750 yet.

I have fitted 72 jets to the 600 which has seemed to help alot it runs great up to about 4400rpm then the accleration flattens out. It feels like it has alot more to give so when I get a 750 what jet & power valve sizes do you recommend will work well also will I need to change the vacum spring diaphram ???

Thanks again for all your help guy's this has been a fun learning curve.

Graham, first for now who cares what the initial timing is, just set it the total to what it runs best with and then find a way to increase the initial to the point where it'll still turn the motor over without the compression fighting the starter.
Example 25*initial and 34* total.

Try the lightest spring in the vac secondary spring kit and go from there increasing the stiffness till it doesn't bog at wide open throttle.
Gotta go get back at you later.

Don't get ahead of yourself with changing things before you see how they work.

A 3310 Holley 750 vacuum seconday carb will come with 72 primary jets and a secondary plate equal to either 75 or 76 jets. If you want to start experimenting with jets, you'll need to get a secondary metering block so jet changes can be made just like on the primary side. (The secondary side doesn't have a power valve and one shouldn't be added.) Holley does make a kit specifically for this that includes gaskets, longer bowl screws, etc.

As for the vacuum secondaries, it would be best to start out with the stock or heavier spring and concentrate on getting the idle and part throttle operation right. You may also need to play with the accellerator pump cams and squirters.

Once you get the feel of that, you can start experimenting with lighter springs while trying to keep the secondaries from opening too soon.

I'd suggest getting some soft cover books on Holley carbs. There is one by HP Books, authored by Mike Urich and Bill Fischer that's been revised over the years. It has some good explainations on how the variety of systems within a Holley carb work and what you can do to tailor them to your application. I've heard there are a couple of others that are good to learn from also.

-
Back