Holley Main Body Upgrade Question

-

JoesEdge

Reaction score
What's up fella's!

I have a Holley 750 DP (4779-9) carb that I'm considering upgrading the main body in order to tune my idle. My AEM A/F gauge is showing that it's running very rich.

I've done the little piece of wire (.018") trick in the idle feed restrictor with very little difference. At this point, I feel that maybe replaceable air bleeds on the main body upgrade part could help (thinking larger outer bleeds will lean up the idle). Only that, but ditching the choke horn and better flow is a nice plus too.

I've been looking at the following part numbers and I can't decide which to use:
I consulted with both Holley and Summit, and they both say that I won't lose the timed vacuum port in the metering block with either of these upgrades. I just haven't found any evidence other than their word that this is true.

Here's my questions:
  1. Have any of you done this main body upgrade and was there a benefit?
  2. If you've done this upgrade, can you verify that the timed vacuum port still works?
  3. Zinc or Aluminum?
  4. If Zinc is preferred, anything wrong with the Shiny Zinc that's my preference?
Here's a video illustrating the A/F ratio:

Engine Specs: 360 with Comp Cams XE268H cam, 9.6:1 C/R, EngineQuest 318B Heads (means I have 1.6:1 Magnum Rockers), Edelbrock AirGap Intake, Dougs Headers, Custom X-Pipe, 4 speed, 4.10 gears, MSD billet with a 6A box. Timing at about 16 to 18 degrees (need to check for accuracy on that)

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Have you tried turning the mixture screws in a tad? How bout lowering the floats a little as well? What's your AFR at 30-40mph?

Have you tried turning the mixture screws in a tad? How bout lowering the floats a little as well? What's your AFR at 30-40mph?

The mixture screws do not seem to make a difference really. If I do turn them in too far, then the engine runs bad and then shuts off.

I can't remember exactly the numbers off the top of my head, but I had leaned out the primary jet from 71 to 69 and two things happened: 1) my cruise A/F did get leaner than before (now it's somewhere in the mid to high 13's I think at about 40 mph - can't remember exactly and hard to record and drive), 2) when I step on it it goes leaner than I like (in the 15 to 16 range then goes back down).

Edelbrock Experiment:
I did try out an Edelbrock 650 AVS just for poops & giggles. The throttle response from a start was a amazing, but the cruise was a bit rich and the power was VERY lean (when you step on it from cruise, it would go between 17 and 18 on the A/F gauge with a stock Edelbrock calibration). I was also able to lean out the idle to an acceptable level too. I did try messing around with different metering rods and jets. I was able to improve the cruise, but not the power. I thought about giving it another shot, but I didn't want to waste any more money on it.

Back to the Holley:
Anyway... I kinda gave up on the Edelbrock and went back to my Holley because it was the most predictable. Also, even though it was rich the idle was smoother on the Holley. I just bet with the right carb parts and timing I can get it running in an acceptable range to get the best daily driver (yes, it's a daily driver) street power and fuel mileage.

What's your timing curve look like? Base timing at idle? If less then 15ish degree your idle would clean up with more initial timing.

Your AFR from 30-about 40 shouldn't be influenced by the main jets yet. If your mixture screws don't change AFR much, you probably have too much of the transition slots exposed. What do your transition slots look like on the bottom? They should look like squares, or close to it. What about timing? where ya at for initial timing?

Your AFR from 30-about 40 shouldn't be influenced by the main jets yet. If your mixture screws don't change AFR much, you probably have too much of the transition slots exposed. What do your transition slots look like on the bottom? They should look like squares, or close to it. What about timing? where ya at for initial timing?

I probably should have mentioned I have 4.10 gears if that makes any difference. I would think so (now that I think about it) since I'm revving higher than typical cars.

As far as the transition slot, I set that with the carb off the engine. The transition slot looks like a tiny square. I made sure of that. Also, I set the curb idle using the rear (secondary) throttle blades by turning the screw from underneath the base plate.

Last edited:
What's your timing curve look like? Base timing at idle? If less then 15ish degree your idle would clean up with more initial timing.

This is something I want to double check. I actually need to check the marks on the balancer to make sure I'm getting a correct reading. My balancer has timing marks, and when then line up to the 0 mark on the timing chain cover it's about at 16 to 18 degrees, but I know that's not very accurate.

If you are going to change the main body, for just a FEW dollars more you can get a BLP B4X main body. I would never buy a Holley, ProForm or Quick Fuel (which is ProForm unless Holley made changes after they bought QF) when you can get a billet B4X main body from BLP.

I probably should have mentioned I have 4.10 gears if that makes any difference. I would think so (now that I think about it) since I'm revving higher than typical cars.

As far as the transition slot, I set that with the carb off the engine. The transition slot looks like a tiny square. I made sure of that. Also, I set the curb idle using the rear (secondary) throttle blades by turning the screw from underneath the base plate.

You made need to use a transition slot restricter. Read my post about the BLP main bodies.

I would work on tuning what you've got first before shelling out any money on new parts. Verify the mark(s) on your balancer, make sure you've got around 18* initial timing, or whatever the motor wants (if you add timing and the engine speed increases, it wants it), limit total mechanical advance to give to around 35* total (without vacuum adv hooked up), then start tuning the carb. Start with the float level and fuel pressure (if you have a regulator), then get the idle circuit working well (you may want to add a restrictor), then squirter and cam, main jets, power valve, that sec jets. Changes you make to the earlier items affect everything downstream.

I didn't answer your questions the first time but I can.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Billet
4. 3 makes 4 obsolete.

You can open up the ISB on the main body but if it's the press in variety it's a pain in the ***. You are better off with a main body that has changeable bleeds.

There is no reason to ever buy a carb that doesn't have changeable bleeds anymore. BLP and other companies have the cost so low it's just crazy. Then you need to look at billet metering blocks. You'll find out most of the Holley stuff is high price low grade.

Tuning you carb is a very satisfying experience. You learn something and gain performance at the same time.

I have a 360 with 10.9 Scr, aluminum heads. It is a zero deck with the pistons .005 max out of the hole.
Years ago,I ran this with a 270/280/110 Hughes cam. Lift with 1.6 arms was .538/.549listed. I run the AirGap and TTIs( with H-pipe at the time). I also run an A833 with a same starter gear as you.
No MSD, but similar timing; I ran 14*
It also was my DD,: but in winter I stuffed a 318 in it, sometimes with a 904. So we're practically twins. Well except you are Duster,I am Barracuda.
>I am positive your tune is off, or at least way different from mine.
The primary clue is the sluggish mixture screws, with correct T-port sync.
I believe your running float level is too high, making pull-over too easy. The back-up to this is the secondary cracking. If your timing really is in the 16/18 zone, that little cam should not require much if any cracking. Mine didn't. Mine also was fine with a 700 idle.Your idlespeeds is too low. You're trying for the sound aren't you.
Here is a test; does it pull 1st gear at idle by itself-no slipping the clutch, on flat level hard ground, Down to 600/550 rpm, before it starts getting jumpy. If it does that, ignore the AFR.In fact ignore the steady state AFRs below about 1200 entirely.
>This cam has an approximate ICA of 60*. That means the piston is about 1/3 of the way up the compression stroke before that intake finally closes. And that means at slow engine speeds, it pushes some of it back up into the intake. The slower the speed, the more of it gets pushed back up into the intake. You can see this on the vacuum gauge. By about 2200rpm the vacuum has peaked. It may be 20 to 22 inches. But slow it down and see what happens. Sure enough every 150 rpm sees a drop of about 1 inch. That is the ICA in action.
So now this A/F charge has backed up into the intake, and is just hanging around. The intake valve in the next cylinder in the firing order opens up, and puts a tug on the carb and pulls some A/F in and that mixes with what's already in there, and down the hatch it goes. But it's now fat. And your AFR sees that. So you go lean it out. But wait that ICA strikes again. The next cylinder, now fat, pumps some of it's charge back into the intake, and the next cylinder gets a double fattened up charge.And on and on it goes. And you keep leaning it out according to what you see on the gauge, and eventually you get it working pretty good. At idle speed.
But your engine is not a one rpm engine.
Here comes my point. I find very little solace in the AFRs below the vacuum peak.
Every changing rpm with the manifold full of reversion, requires an AFR correction. IMO forget about nailing a number, Instead let the engine tell you what it wants.
The very FIRST thing you have to do is get those mixture screws working.
I assume that carb has NO idle fuel going into the secondaries right? Go look for the discharge ports. Cuz what I'm about to spout depends on NO SECONDARY IDLE DISCHARGE.
So here is where we start
With a working PCV,
and with the idle timing fixed at 16*, and a decent timing curve in the dizzy (about .7 to .8 degree per 100rpm),and a Vcan coming in early with at least 14 degrees in it, put a vacuum gauge on it to read manifold vacuum,and make sure that TDC mark is correctly indexed on your balancer.
>Start up the engine and while she is warming up,put a timing lite on her.Stop the engine. Close up the secondaries tight. Remove the PV and put a PV plug in there. Crank in the curb-idle screw 4 full turns. Set the mixture screws to 1.5 turns out. Start her up again. If the idle speed is too slow, crank in some more speed. Keep track of the number of turns so you can go back to your T-port sync.
>OK;Rev it up until the vacuum peaks. This should be about 2000 rpm maybe 2200. This is the very first rpm that the engine has stopped pumping charge back into the intake. Set the throttle onto the fast idle cam, whatever cam will get you 2000rpm. If you can't get close to 2000 rpm, stick a wedge between the curb-idle screw and its stop. Check the timing. The total from all sources should be 16+8+14 in the can = 38. It doesn't have to be exactly 38.But I estimated 8*in the centrifugal, cuz that is what mine liked. And I estimated a minimum of 14* in the can.So to my way of thinking 38* should be the minimum.
Disconnect the Vcan To see what's in it. If you have this amount we are good to go.
>Now go mess with the mixture screws. Screw them all the way in, then back them out 1/2 turn at a time until you get the highest rpm. If they don't seem to do anything check your AFRs, I bet she's fat. Too fat on the LOW-SPEED circuit. Prove it by sticking your thumbs on the boosters; there should be no change in rpm. Here is the proof; grab the choke blade and slowly begin to close it.If the rpm rises she is lean. If the rpm falls, she is fat. Return the engine to idle. Let it stabilize. Shut it off
What to do?
Well if it's lean, the first thing you have to do is prove the engine is not getting air somewhere it's not supposed to. But with the secondary cracking, this is hardly likely.
So I'm gonna assume it was fat. That is a good thing to know.
OK go find something to pinch your fuel line closed. Set the mixture screws to about 1.5 turns out. Start the engine up, set the speed to about 1200 using the fast idle cam.Write down the rpm number, and install the clamp. Then wait. And wait. And wait. One of two things is gonna happen; A) the rpm is gonna begin to fall almost immediately, or B) its gonna rise for a while as the fuel level falls, then it is gonna hang there, then it is gonna fall to a stall as the bowl runs dry.
A) indicates that either the fuel level was just right, or at least it wasn't too high.
Fuel pull-over immediately became harder, so the engine slowed.
B) indicates that the fuel level was too high. Pull-over was too easy. As the fuel level decreased the rpm went up, as the AFR normalized. Then it peaked for a bit, and then pull-over became difficult so the engine began to slow as it leaned out too far. I'm guessing this is what yours is gonna do.
So stop the engine. Release the clamp. Start her up. Let the fuel level stabilize. Then back up to 1200 and pinch the fuel line. This time,as soon as the rpm has peaked,, tap the fast idle down,shut it off,and record the rpm.
Now, let's go see where the fuel level is. Wherever it is, that is what she wants, so see if you can give it to her. This may take several trys so don't get stressed. When you are finished it should be very near to the factory setting, perhaps a little below the sight-hole. If it gets to be too low, it may be trouble on the mains or at WOT. If what she wants requires a very low float level, then we will need to mess with the airbleeds. I have run my engine on a lower than stock fuel level for more than 15 years and over 100,000 miles, so A bit below seems ok.
There is a short cut for this.With the engine idling and a tach under the hood, crank the float level adjuster down 1/2 turn and wait a minute. If the idle speed came up, do it again. Repeat until the speed no longer rises, and back up 1/2turn. If the idle speed fell, back up the other way.Once that is done, repeat the test, to prove you got it. You are now looking for the previously recorded maximum rpm. Pinch the line and the rpm should begin to fall. Awritee tap her down shut her off and remove the clamp.
>Now back to the first test. Where we reved it up to 2000 and adjusted the mixture screws for maximum rpm. Try it again. The mixture screws should work now. But if they don't, stick your thumbs over the boosters; this should produce no change in rpm. But if it does, your boosters are already flowing,reduce the engine speed 200 rpm, and try again.
Surely the screws work at 1800. If not try 1700.
So once the screws are working, we are in business. Return the engine speedscrew to restore the T-port sync.
Now if you are a sharp guy, you have figured out that the last hour or two,was all about setting the NO-LOAD AFRs without a gauge, letting the engine tell us what it wants. It wants one AFR at 2000, and a different AFR at idle. And in between it might want a million other AFRs between those two.It ain't EFI so we can only do so much with that cam.
>OK now we have to make the engine happy at idle.
So #1, prove the T-port sync is still good. The Transfers have to be sq to a little taller than wide. The mixture screws should be about 1.5 turns out, or as previously established, at the hi-rpm test point. Now don't touch those after this.
Next we are gonna set the idle rpm with; timing and idle air bypass. My engine combo did not take kindly to receiving air from the secondaries DRY. No sir it didn't like that at all. So My target for this combo is 700/750rpm. My combo liked 16* same as yours. So if your idle timing is truly 16, and the rpm is not at least 700, then we have to give it air. But how much and where? Well grab your secondary shaft and tip it open a tad and see if the engine likes it. Mine did, but it then didn't like the primary tip-in. There is no fuel in that secondary air, or at least my carb didn't have any, and no matter what I did to the front, I just couldn't get rid of that tip-in sag.
>So here is what I did; I tee'd into the PCV line with another hose and started jamming Holley MJs into the hose until I found one that got my idle speed up. Then I went for a road test. Gone was the tip-in sag. I reasoned that since the PCV air enters the carb right near where the low-speed fuel comes in, that the fuel and air now has time to get all mixed together by the time it gets into the cylinders. I also reasoned that the dry-air in the secondaries, couldn't do that and perhaps the back two were running lean.
So now I calculated the area of that MJ, and divided that by two, calculated the size of 2 holes to equal that and drilled my throttle plates
If your engine requires more air than one MJ can supply, get creative. I have used golf tees and drilled those out. At this point the size of that hole is not critical, cuz we can fine tune it with the speedscrew; just don't make it too big!
(As a side note, I put this same 750DP on my next combo, and modified it to supply some fuel from the front idle circuit, into the rear holes, and no more sag!)
Awright so the point is; figure out how much air she wants, and give it to her. You can give it in the secondaries, if she accepts it there, or through the PCV system, or through the carb internally, which usually involves drilling the throttle blades. Just do whichever it takes; I have drilled a lot of plates. And I have filled a lot of plates. And I have redrilled those plugs smaller,lol. so easy does it.
But if you are real close to the target rpm, and since your transfer exposures are square, it is permissible to crank in the speed screw a bit. But be careful, this can cause a tip-in sag if the transfers slow down too much.So give it a half turn and check the tip-in. With a manual trans, a tip-in sag spells death. Remember to always be sure that with any speed screw change, you check the squirters for action.
So now we have optimized the float level, and the AFR at 2000 rpm. We have set the T-port sync, Set the idle speed, and maintained a nice tip-in. I think it's time for a roadtest. Try and keep up OK?....... Oh wait!
We have to reinstall the PV. If anything changes after the PV goes in, something is wrong with it. That is the reason I asked you to plug that circuit, to rule out PV issues. If you didn't plug it, and you made it this far, I guess it's working , so get moving already,:)

Last edited:
Ok, so what's my next steps? Verify the timing, I assume is one of the steps.
I have a 360 with 10.9 Scr, aluminum heads. It is a zero deck with the pistons .005 max out of the hole.
I ran this with a 270/280/110 Hughes cam. Lift with 1.6 arms was .538/.549listed. I run the AirGap and TTIs( with H-pipe at the time). I also run an A833 with a same starter gear as you.
No MSD, but similar timing; I ran 14*
So we're practically twins. Well except you are Duster,I am Barracuda.
I am positive your tune is off, or at least way different from mine.
The primary clue is the sluggish mixture screws, with correct T-port sync.
I believe your running float level is too high, making pull-over too easy. The back-up to this is the secondary cracking. If your timing really is in the 16/18 zone, that little cam should not require much if any cracking. Mine didn't. Mine also was fine with a 700 idle.
Here is a test; does it pull 1st gear at idle by itself-no slipping the clutch, on flat level hard ground, Down to 600/550 rpm, before it starts getting jumpy. If it does that ignore the AFR.
This cam has an approximate ICA of 60*. That means the piston is nearing half way up the compression stroke before that intake finally closes

I can't idle in first because it starts to...surge (?) I think that's the best way to describe it. It's not like my Tacoma that I can idle uphill in first gear without even touching the gas.

So how is your carb setup? What are the details?

Response in the quote
Ok, so what's my next steps? Verify the timing, I assume is one of the steps.At idle the engine can be tuned for just about any reasonable number,lol

I can't idle in first because it starts to...surge (?) I think that's the best way to describe it. It's not like my Tacoma that I can idle uphill in first gear without even touching the gas. Yeah that's the sign of a poor tune right there,lol. I call it bucking. I hated that. The bigger the cam the worse it was. I currently have a 276/286/110 Hughes. I have tuned the Buck out of it, down to 600/550

So how is your carb setup? What are the details?See post #12, lol

Last edited:
Seems like I have quite a bit of homework to do this weekend! LOL

@AJ/FormS I'm going to copy what you said and make it into a guide that I can follow. It seems to me that you're trying to say that I shouldn't worry too much what that gauge tell me and go by what my engine likes.

Seems like I have quite a bit of homework to do this weekend! LOL

@AJ/FormS I'm going to copy what you said and make it into a guide that I can follow. It seems to me that you're trying to say that I shouldn't worry too much what that gauge tell me and go by what my engine likes.

Amen.
Below the vacuum peak, and most especially from idle to about 1200 with a mild street cam, there is so much BS going on in the intake that the AFR gauge can flat out lie. A wide band can help you set up for power, and the regular type can help for everything else .
I try to set up my car to cruise at a higher rpm than the vacuum peak in neutral. Then the AFR tells the truth and is a great way to set up the cruise for lean running great mpgs. But below that I pretty much scream liar at it. You can only do so much with a carb

I didn't get the chance to work on the car this weekend because I was too busy running around. I did take it for a nice drive and took another video shot.

Basically, I'm just trying to video document how it's running before I start tuning it so I can see the "before" and "after" effects.

Well here's the video of my cruising down the freeway at about 60 MPH. You can see that when I step into it a little, it goes a little leaner.

I didn't get the chance to work on the car this weekend because I was too busy running around. I did take it for a nice drive and took another video shot.

Basically, I'm just trying to video document how it's running before I start tuning it so I can see the "before" and "after" effects.

Well here's the video of my cruising down the freeway at about 60 MPH. You can see that when I step into it a little, it goes a little leaner.

You will drive yourself batshit crazy doing what you are doing. If you really want to pick the pepper out of the fly pop you need some way to log all that data and not just monitor a gauge as you drive. You need a TPS so you can verify throttle position. You are close enough that you are dealing with air bleed and emulsion tuning, not just changing jets.

Ok so I finally verified my timing and made a couple of mods to the current Holley.

I used a piston stop to check my balancer marks and TDC on the balancer lines up with the 0 mark on the timing cover. So that gives me a good point of references when I use the timing numbers on the balancer.

I have the timing set to 18* and I'm using the black bushing in the MSD distributor, so that should give me a total of 36* but it seems to go a bit higher than that. Keep in mind, I do not have a vacuum advance. I do have a 14 degree bushing on the way so I can bump the timing up a couple more degrees.

At about 700 to 800 RPMS at idle I get about 15 inches of vacuum and I'm idling much cleaner than before, but I also did some mods to the Holley to get it similar to the HP body. So far, the mods I've done have been positive. I just need to fix and off idle stumble and need a richer WOT and I would call it darn near perfect without needing a main body upgrade.

I'm still running some more tests and tune sessions. I'm also going to plumb a vacuum gauge to the inside of the car so I can see what the engine is doing as a I drive. Once I get everything dialed in right, I'll post all the data.

Here's how it's running now.

Oh...one other thing. I'm sort of ignoring the A/F gauge. I'm using as a guide, but I'm no longer shooting for a number. I'm listening to the engine to see what makes it happy. If I hear pops and feel surges while I'm driving, then I know it's probably too lean. I just look at the gauge to verify. Most the time, the gauge tells me the same thing I'm suspecting.

look into the proform stuff.. its nice and may save a few dollars.

I looked at those, but I liked the fact that the Holley's are still made in the USA and I believe the cost of the ProForm vs Holley (aluminum) is not that far off anyway.

That's Sounding pretty good

Thanks!

I still need to tune a few more things. I think I'm on the right track. But so far, you can see an improvement in idle quality and the A/F gauge shows it too compared to my first video. This is also without replacing the main body. So, it cost me less money so far.

Invest a few dollars in a timing tape, then you know where your total timing is.

Invest a few dollars in a timing tape, then you know where your total timing is.

Timing tape works too, especially when the balancer doesn't have any numbered timing marks.

On my previous engine, I needed to use timing tape but this engine my balancer has timing marks all the way to 50 degrees (if I remember right) in 2 degree increments. I just needed to figure out a reference point. I figured the best reference point would be the 0 mark on the timing cover. So, fully warmed up and at idle I set the 18 degree mark on the balancer to line up with the 0 mark on the timing chain cover. Of course, I verified that 0 mark to line up with the TDC mark on the balancer.

The way I verified it was by putting some blue masking take on on the balancer right below the balancers timing marks, so that I can see where they're at. I probably used 90 degrees worth of tape.

With the piston stop tool in the #1 cylinder, I rotated the engine towards TDC until the piston lightly jammed against the piston (I was sure to go slow to not damage the piston). I made a mark on the tape where the 0 mark on the timing cover was. Then I turned the engine backwards until it stopped, and made another mark on the tape where the 0 mark was.

Then I put another piece of tape over that slightly so it exposes the marks that I made. I transferred my original marks onto that piece of blue tape. I then removed the tape and measured where the mid point was by measuring the distance between the two marks and dividing that number by 2. That number is the distance between the two outer marks. That's where TDC should be. I marked that point. Then placed the tape back onto the balancer lining up the marks I made. That mid point was exactly where TDC was marked on the balancer.

That's how I verified my balancer's timing marks relative to the 0 mark on the timing cover which is the mark that I use solely as a reference point when shining my timing light.

If this method is incorrect then maybe someone can chime in.

IMG_20170328_074138.jpg

Ok, I didn't know your damper was marked. By reading your earlier post where you referred to the black bushing and it should give 36* total I assumed you had a factory damper. I should've asked, we all know what assume does.

-
Back