Holley Sniper vs. Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4

-
I appreciate the idea of using the pan rail bolts. It never occurred to me to fab something with steel, which I can weld.

Also, ever since I started soaking my timing chains in Redline synthetic gear oil for a few days before installing them, my timing chains have virtually stopped gaining unwanted free play. It incredible how effective it is in reducing the wear in them to almost no stretch at all.

I discovered this when I ran out of chainsaw bar oil one day a few years back, and my chains started to last five times as long. I still had to sharpen them, but they virtually stopped stretching.

I would like to have greater accuracy on the crank's actual position versus what the distributor is going to indicate. As Andy indicated however, on my 99% used on the street car I may just save myself the additional work of getting things out of the way to access that area of the motor/car. Things are already pretty tight down there, and then there is the trigger ring to deal with. Perhaps, it something to add after I sort and source all the other items for the conversion.

Yeah, the real question would be if you want to run a distributor with a cap or a coil near plug setup. If it's the latter the Crank trigger is probably the better move overall. The small block application, the magnum distributor is very short. With no cap and the rotor tower cut off you don't really even notice it.
upload_2021-1-23_11-19-3.png

upload_2021-1-23_11-21-3.png

Yeah, the real question would be if you want to run a distributor with a cap or a coil near plug setup. If it's the latter the Crank trigger is probably the better move overall. The small block application, the magnum distributor is very short. With no cap and the rotor tower cut off you don't really even notice it.
View attachment 1715675740
View attachment 1715675742

I see. It's sounding like one possible approach is to add the crank trigger and the coil near plug set-up as an ignition upgrade a bit down the line. It will make it easier to get the basic EFI up and running with less down time using the dual sync with conventional spark distribution. It will take me a while to fab up those mounting components so they look and work nice and neat.

I went with the Edelbrock because i wanted spark control and EMI is an issue for a lot of people running stock ignition with the sniper tb or fitech setups.

@AndyF is spot on about the software, it's very basic and is really designed around users coming from carbs with no EFI experience. They offer a limited number of maps that use 42lb injectors, but the maps are tailored around a few basic variables (displacement, cam duration, fuel pressure, injector size). They don't adjust well if you attempt to play outside the guidelines.

For example:

I ordered a custom grind cam, I wanted as much idle vacuum as possible to give good map signal resolution. I also ordered 42lb injectors, Edelbrock offered a trade up for $100 on new, unused, 35lb units that came with the kit, figured I'd get it out of the way.

The maps for 42lb injectors are all set up for low idle vacuum, 12-5 in/hg. My cam grind gives me 16in, and the map wasn't able to adjust. It was super lean, didn't switch between the idle, cruise, accel sections properly and generally ran poor.

Dropping fuel pressure by 10psi to make the 42# act like 35# and running a map that expected 15" of idle vacuum cleared it right up.

Ill run it this way for now, and then use the current fuel system and intake/tb with a MS setup in the future.

I went with the Edelbrock because i wanted spark control and EMI is an issue for a lot of people running stock ignition with the sniper tb or fitech setups.

But again I must protest that you guys are comparing apples to oranges. The Sniper is not in the same class as the Ed system. If you want to compare systems, compare Holley HP based systems to the Ed and so on. So far as I know, only FAST? Sniper and FItech have the computer integrated into the TBI unit.

I'm not terribly convinced EMI problems are specific or more prone in the Sniper, "it just might be" that because of their simplicity and price point that more people run them..........hence more problems

EMI is a special kind of problem, very delicate to deal with

I have zero doubts the OE ignition boxes create a fair amount of EMI. My radio used to pick it up all the time. When I went to coil near plug, it was gone forever.

The wiring for the magnetic pickup and also to run the coil aren't run in twisted pair, let alone shielded. That would probably help significantly.

But again I must protest that you guys are comparing apples to oranges. The Sniper is not in the same class as the Ed system. If you want to compare systems, compare Holley HP based systems to the Ed and so on. So far as I know, only FAST? Sniper and FItech have the computer integrated into the TBI unit.

I'm not terribly convinced EMI problems are specific or more prone in the Sniper, "it just might be" that because of their simplicity and price point that more people run them..........hence more problems

EMI is a special kind of problem, very delicate to deal with

The price difference between a sniper and the Edelbrock is much less than the Edelbrock and a holley hp.

Sniper goes from $1000-1500. Edelbrock is $1700-1800, and the HP kits are $3400. With the addition of spark control ($500) you're at the same price point. In addition, the EMI from the stock charging and ignition system is enough to have an effect, it's been noted by numerous users, and electrical noise certainly wasn't a consideration like is required today.

The larger install base is certainly something to consider, but lack of any basic considerations for EMI in the factory harness are hard to overlook.

The price difference between a sniper and the Edelbrock is much less than the Edelbrock and a holley hp.

Sniper goes from $1000-1500. Edelbrock is $1700-1800, and the HP kits are $3400. With the addition of spark control ($500) you're at the same price point. In addition, the EMI from the stock charging and ignition system is enough to have an effect, it's been noted by numerous users, and electrical noise certainly wasn't a consideration like is required today.

The larger install base is certainly something to consider, but lack of any basic considerations for EMI in the factory harness are hard to overlook.

Exactly, what matters to most customers is the price point not the technology. I think the best value from Holley right now is the Terminator X Stealth. It is a throttle body but the ECU sits inside the firewall so that helps with RF noise issues. The Terminator X has more features than the Sniper but the cost is only a little bit higher. The Terminator X uses the HP type software which has a lot of features.

-
Back