Holley Strip Dominator for the street?

-

392Mopar

Reaction score
How does the Holley Strip Dominator fair on the street? I just got a built up 360 with a strip dominator, kb pistons, Racer brown 238 duration cam, J heads with 2.02/1.60 valves with the intake and exhaust ports ported. With the 68cc chamberes (I cced them) it comes out to be 10.07:1 compression with the .050 gaskets. This is all hooking up to an A833 close ratio 4 speed, 8 3/4 wih 3.91's, in a 72 Duster. The owner thought the 360 was pushing a little over 400HP, and with a more radical cam and 4.56 gears it was running 12.20's in a 68-69 Coronet.

Anyone run a Strip Dominator on the street, and would it be worth swaping out to a MP M1 (whats the difference, they look the same) or an Eddy Air Gap. I have the Holley, so would it be worth the $ for one of the others?

Butch

Dual plane intake for the street,so the AirGap seems to be the favoured intake for the street.2 centos

I run the Holley strip dominator on the street in my duster. Im running a 10.8:1 aluminum headed, 340 w a 3800 stall and 3:91 gears. Not a good every day driver but fun as hell to drive. I think the rpm air gap is the best all around intake, but i had the strip dominator. Actualy like it enough so i just purchased another one. Strip dominator flows better than the M1 single plane if your going for a radical street strip car. Just IMO. Everyone has there own. My duster runs 7:80s in the 1/8th (alot of head work and big solid roller cam) not the fastest car on the track but a respectable street car and i can live with that.

A dual plane will have much better street manners and be easier to tune, even with a 4-speed. I compared a Holley Strip Dominator to a Weiand Stealth on my race-only car and the Holley was about a tenth or so faster. But that's race-only with a LOT more gear, cam duration & converter.

The Strip Dominator is similar to a Mopar single plane. An Edelbrock Victor has an obviously deeper plenum.

Before I went to Eddy street tunnelram, I had a strip dominator (came with the motor). 340 030, ported T/A heads, 11:01, solid Hughes 245/250@050, 560/575 lift, Carter 750 strip carb. I thought it was fine on the street. Not a daily driver though.

I'm running one, i think its stronger than my old torker II over 4,500 rpms or so, but i put a lot of work into my HSD, for the street a ld340, air gap or even the torker II would be better, unless your RPM's are over 4 to 5k on the street a lot. I May go back to the torker II with its very tall but narrow runners or a LD i have to pick up power torque under 4,500!!

Attachments

• party 044 (640x480).jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 537
Thanks guys, the car is definatelly not a daily driver, just a fun, tear up the streets car with maybe a trip to the track to see what it will do. I'm always reving up to 5000-5500 before shifting when I'm having fun, just dont want it to be a dog down low either. The guy I got the 360 from said it that the performance shop that redid the heads said its probably pushing a little over 400HP, with the current setup. Maybe I'll look for an Eddy Air gap, or just use this one and see how it is, and swap it out later when I get the $.

Butch

With thre Holley you can run a Thermoquad. Ran that way on my stroker motor. I thought it had very good street manners.

392, that intake goes to 7,000 as per Holley back in the day. It was rated 3,000 - 7,000 rpm. The MoPar signle plane M-1 is a few HP better mostly the same, slightly updated. The old MP books recomended that intake before there own intake came out. The Old DC catologs had there own intakes via there name casted into them, but they were Holley.

You cam is way to small for that intake. Sorry, should have said, that intake is a mis-match to the engine combo. It can be very streetable with a TQ on top if tuned well. You'd probably want to delay the secondary opening a tad more than normal.

I think I'll give it a try and see how it acts, unless I can find and Eddy Air Gap before it goes in.

Butch

I bet it runs great. Slap it on there.

Well, I'll just say, I like mine with the TQ on top. It works in the street just fine.

Thanks guys. Right now I have a 750 double pumper holley with the choke milled off, thats what came with the motor. Think that will be ok?

Butch

I think if you have a TQ, it might help low end efficiency with the small primaries. Those intakes do in fact have the Thermoquad opening for the plenum... Open up the secondaries though and it will run with anything.

Single plane/double pumper/4 speed with gears seem to work OK on the street. Would probably not be good with an auto due to converter slippage. You actually might need more gear, 3.91 would likely be your minimum starting point. Mileage? We don't need no steenkin' mileage!

As a similar example, my buddy has a little Rambler American sedan street machine. He runs a Torker with a 750DP on his AMC 390. He rows a 4 speed, has 4.10 gears and a .495"/300+ degree solid cam. That thing is pretty wild on the street, fishtailing all over the place at the blip of the throttle. However, it seems like it drives alright when his foot is not in the radiator.

-
Back