Home Electric problem -- panel with Zinco breakers

-

22dog22

Reaction score
Problem started with past Sunday night central air was, on was in the 90"s took notice that the out side unit running but no inside fan running, Trane system about 22 years old [ just found out] i check outside unit was just starting to ice up, i turned off the power so no more damage to the outside unit, today Tuesday was able to have service tech out to take a look, air handler motor is fried, ok will have motor replace all in for about 900.00, i was going to up grade next year to H.V.A.C, for heating and cooling, so while tech is here have take look for what i need to up grade takes a look at the main panel box states you have a big problem
ZINCO panel box, states they are very very unsafe would need to replace before or at time of new system install they would not work with what i have due to a big saftey issue, Does any one have information about these panel box ? i have not had any problems but all over the enter net bad bad things are said, so to up grade i am looking and new H.V.A.C and new panel box, was told around 25,000 - 30,000 for all work , i will look at getting other price quotes for the elertrical work and A/C work , ideas thoughts ??

A VERY quick search shows this just might be true

problems with zinco breaker box - Google Search

If I were you I would be EXTREMELY concerned and do some research

Decades ago I was an HVAC tech/ installer. "Something Pacific" panels were a HUGE problem then. In addition, (this was the late '80's) one of the boss's sons and his new wife bought a nice new sited manufactured home. The thing was less than a year or two old and he was having some problems. This was an "all electric" home, AKA electric range, water tank, dryer, etc and heat pump AC. I went out there and have no idea, anymore, what brand of panel he had. BUT THE BREAKERS for some of the high power circuits WERE MAKING POOR CONNECTION where they snapped over the buss, and were showing arc and burn marks, as well as part of it not working, like, maybe, the dryer, I don't recall

GET THIS CHECKED OUT, BUY AN EXTRA fire alarm or two and don't screw with it

Wow a panel swap?? No rewire needed? They're insane for that price. Like above said dont mess with it. Fix it right but dont get raped.
Side note, Stablok is now defunct, all my house and shop are Stablok. My panel is about 13 years old lol.
Good luck

Wow a panel swap?? No rewire needed? They're insane for that price. Like above said dont mess with it. Fix it right but dont get raped.
Side note, Stablok is now defunct, all my house and shop are Stablok. My panel is about 13 years old lol.
Good luck

You are right that sound VERY high, pricewise

13 years ago I paid $1800 cash, for a panel swap from fuses to breakers in house. They(2 guys) also removed my old pony (breaker style) panel from house and installed in shop. I supplied beer steaks and all materials.
You are right that sound VERY high, pricewise

i am concerned about up grade i see where i live if i up grade the panel box i will need to up grade all circuits to the new codes Arc-fault for bed rooms, i am ok with the gfica for bathroom laundry but would need to address for the kitchen i am seeing the price keep going up to do the needed upgades to the rest of the house and power company needs to be involved/inspections!

Those breakers were an issue 30 years ago. They are Zinsco. I had them in two places for many years. They can be ok if they are stable and not heating up. Put your hand on the front of the breakers and see if they are hot. If they are hot, they are bad. I had to replace the boxes when I sold the places, as they were called out in the inspection.

It would be smart to replace the panel, but there are still lots of them in service I suspect. $1500-2000 would be a good price to replace the panel. I just paid $6500 for a whole 5 ton Lennox furnace and ac system.

There is definitely a risk running them, but if you have lived there a long time with no issues, the risk may be low.

Those breakers were an issue 30 years ago. They are Zinsco. I had them in two places for many years. They can be ok if they are stable and not heating up. Put your hand on the front of the breakers and see if they are hot. If they are hot, they are bad. I had to replace the boxes when I sold the places, as they were called out in the inspection.

It would be smart to replace the panel, but there are still lots of them in service I suspect. $1500-2000 would be a good price to replace the panel. I just paid $6500 for a whole 5 ton Lennox furnace and ac system.

There is definitely a risk running them, but if you have lived there a long time with no issues, the risk may be low.
Hi Mike69cuda, i was hoping for a price like you got of 6500.00 i live in a bi-level home, no room for furnace, have electric baseboard heat with the central a/c in the craw space, they a stating 14,000.00 to just replace the central a/c and replace the panel box, to up grade to HVAC with a split a/c heat pump and the wiring up gate 28,000.00-32000.00 !! home copper coated aluminun wiring in it built around 1975 i also have 69 notchback Cuda!

Shop around for a good price. Do some research on a heat pump. It might not pay off in your climate. A lot of new hvac stuff only lasts 10 years now, so I would want to see it pay out in 5 years or around there for it to be a good investment. Nothing wrong with baseboard heat if you get a favorable electric rate.

Those Zinsco’s are all over the place. I often see them in homes built 40-50 years ago.

so they’ve lasted 1/2 century and they are put under modern loads they were never designed to. Was your house originally built with A/C?

I deal with electricians that give whole “Zinsco speech” to customers like the OP heard. Funny those are also the most aggressive and higher priced Electricians also.

Do some calcs and see if you have some overloaded circuits. But it doesn’t sound like you are tripping breakers.

new HVAC systems are more efficient and might even draw less amps than your old one. Go read the name plates on your current HVAC and do some research on new units... compare

I agree $1500 to $3000 for panel replacement in the same location. Depending on part of country (cost of labor)

Last edited:
-
Back