Hood Alignment Help

-

Divenut

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I fixed a hood alignment problem on our 72 Duster, i.e. rear driver side corner of the hood was sticking up above the fender. Good news is I got the height corrected, problem is the entire hood now sits too close to the passenger side fender :banghead: After much fiddling, and some nicked paint (Just what I needed, more body work!) :eek:ops: I just can not get the hood back to the center of the opening. Searched extensively here and on-line without success. Note: the hood was centered between the fenders nicely prior to me playing around with it. Any FABO body experts able to walk me through the correct combination of bolt adjustments (front bolt versus rear, left versus right) to re-center our hood? Thanks in advance as always!

Pat and Kids

If I'm not mistaken the hood is centered by the rubber bumpers along the inside of the fender and not the bolts.
It could be being pushed off center if some of those are missing.
(like there is one on the drivers side and not the passenger side, so when the hood went down farther it might be getting pushed over by the one that is there)

Maybe someone with specific 72 experience knows more about that.

Thanks for the reply Trailbeast. Much appreciated. Rubber bumpers are in place and hood had equal space between the hood and fenders prior to me loosening the bolts that attached the hood to the hinges. I created the gap when "fixing" the high corner. It sure looked like an easy fix anyway LOL! Hopefully someone will chime in and explain the affect/adjustment each of the bolts has on the alignment. Until then I'll just continue to kick myself for not tracking down someone with experience in this stuff BEFORE I started loosening bolts! :angryfir:

Thanks again,
Pat

With the hood up give the hood an aggressive shove toward the Drivers side...it sounds crazy but it works....no need to start adjusting Fenders.

Hood latch adjustment will pull the hood to one side or the other.
Usually needs to be readjusted when you change anything else.

Thank you all for each of your input! Well, hit the garage after work today, with a much calmer demeanor :glasses7: and am glad to say I got the hood square away nicely. Started with 76orangewagon & torkflight's suggestion.

With the hood up give the hood an aggressive shove toward the Drivers side...it sounds crazy but it works....no need to start adjusting Fenders.

I have done this, worked out well

Funny thing is it worked! Thanks again guys.

After that I fiddled with the 4 bolts, this time one at a time, and found a little adjustment goes a long way. Once I kinda got a feel for how each bolt affected the orientation/alignment/height of the hood I was able to get it adjusted as good, or actually a little better than, before I screwed it up. Good thing is, I learned a lot today. Now to touch up the paint I scraped off the cowl...

You all have a good night.
Pat

-
Back