Hood Hinge push on washers ??

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
So I went to replace the hood hinges and realized that it had push on washers or what ever you call them. I measured the stud the hinges are mounted to and I came up with 1/2". If I purchase just half inch washers from a place like Ace hardware will those work correctly? Or is it a special washer that I should be looking for?

It's a 1/2" push nut. Those from the hardware store may not be as thick but would fit.

A body shop supply store should have them...... try the Auveco brand,
or something of the like.

I went to napa and picked up a package of 1/2" and 7/16" "push nuts". They looked exactly like the retainers on disc brake rotors. They were thinner than the originals and a little bit different shape of tooth on the inside.

The 1/2" push nuts that I got from Napa were too big. They were barely snug on the shaft. The 7/16" push nuts were very tight. I pressed on both hinges and bolted the hood on. The first time that I pulled the hood down one of the push nuts popped off the shaft!

I figured I had a bad one or something. I replaced it and tried it again. This time one on the other side did the same thing. They just weren't going to work for me. I ended up ordering the reproduction retainers off of ebay. SO FAR... I haven't had any trouble with them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-A-BOD...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7d1059bb&vxp=mtr

might sound crazy but I took a small drill and a bit and installed cotter pins with washers. These won't be coming off by themselves!

might sound crazy but I took a small drill and a bit and installed cotter pins with washers. These won't be coming off by themselves!

That's what I intend to do, with a rubber washer underneath to prevent rattling. The push nuts are a pain to get off and just seem like a Mickey Mouse method.

I was thinking of doing the roll pin type thing or even trying to run a dye on it and thread it. The external C-clip didnt you have to groove the pin to get the clip to grab? If so how did you do? Dremel?

Those who have early As have torsion rods for the hood hinges like what trunk lids have. When they want to change the hinge to delete the torsion rods they have threaded the stud, added 1/2 bolts where there wasn't a stud, and used ny-loc nuts that were shaved thin. Lots of options in hardware to consider. Me.. I would just go to the local hardware store and buy push nuts. If they seemed too thin I would stack them in pairs.
A push nut isn't designed to be reused. There isn't a way to remove them without distorting them. When they are placed on a plastic stud the best method of removal is cut them off with a cutting wheel in a dremal. Any other method wil likely bring the end of the stud off with it. I learned that the hard way.

-
Back