Hood lock suggestions

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
So I am cruising around fabo and I see an ad for an air cleaner and the going price is 5 bills. This is not the first time I see an original air cleaner get big dollars.

As the value of certain engine parts keeps going up, so does the paranoia of them walking away.

Does anyone lock your hoods down??
I have never had a problem with stuff walking away but I'm not waiting for it to happen either.

Every inside hood latch assembly I have encountered is junk and I still don't think that ideally secure.

What suggestions are out there??

For hood pin cars, tiny padlocks are available

You can also retro-fit inner hood releases from other cars.

And on occasion, road trips etc. I have run a chain from the hood loop to the lower grille support with a padlock.

If you have hood pins, you could use small padlocks. They probably wouldn't be very strong, but might discourage thieves.

For hood pin cars, tiny padlocks are available

You can also retro-fit inner hood releases from other cars.

And on occasion, road trips etc. I have run a chain from the hood loop to the lower grille support with a padlock.
Sorry, I was a little late posting my response!

And i prefer the remote hood release, i have had trouble with poorly adjusted latches and frozen parts. A proper adjusted latch and hood stop bumpers and cable works perfectly.

even a single hood pin with a small padlock will deter most.
Have seen the chain and padlock as well.

I bought a remote hood latch from a newer car. I was going to install it on the passenger side. Figured that might confuse the heck out of a thief.

The proper bumper sticker
upload_2019-12-29_17-43-4.png

I bought a remote hood latch from a newer car. I was going to install it on the passenger side. Figured that might confuse the heck out of a thief.

I keep my crap in a locked metal garage , Rookie sleeps in a doghouse by the back door, and Dax sleeps in the doghouse at the front door , my own special locks--------

I just pour old oil over everything and let the dirt cake on. Then I leave the hood open, like saying; "com'on I dare you". Nobody wants my junk,lol. I never lock the doors either.

Iknow, Iknow; yer only taking about an air-cleaner. But hey my money don't collect by itself either. And every buck I spend, like you, I had to work for. And whatever I bring onto the lil piece of dirt God gave me, falls under his protection, cuz really it is all his; I'm just a steward of it. One day,I told God; whatever I have is yours; do with it as you will. Since that day, nothing has ever walked off my yard, that wasn't born with legs. You know how much freedom that gives a person, to know that everything on "my" dirtpatch, that I touch, is not mine, but I have free access to use it for as long as I live, or as long as it remains on the dirtpatch, whichever comes first,lol!
Sometimes I sorta wish it would all just get up and walk away,lol.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I seen a guy once, and his Challenger 318 , in a parking lot. He got down on his back, scootched under the front bumper and undid a lock, he got up, opened the hood and retrieved his towchain.... and some keys. Then walked around to the trunk and threw that clanky ship-anchor chain in there. Closed the trunk. Closed the hood. Unlocked the driver's door with the keys he had retrieved. Slid into his seat and unlocked his club, with the keys he had retrieved.
I thought to myself; if he ever got mugged 500 miles from home, and had his hoodchain -key swiped; there he would be, standing by his car crying, cuz even if the door was unlocked........ he wasn't driving it anywhere.
As for me, if I got mugged, they wouldn't get anything of value, cuz my car starts for me, even without a key. In fact, sometimes when I take off, the key flies out of the ignition, and later I have to retrieve it from somewhere in the back,lol. If someone wants my junk, they are gonna have to bring a flatbed tow-truck.
When I am in a foreign land, sojourning in a Motel, I call down two big angels from heaven,(I always ask for giants), just before I close my eyes; to guard and protect the things GodAlmighty has set me as steward over. Then I pass out.
In the morning; there is my junk, just where I left it; Hallelujah.

PS; no, I didn't see the angels. But they guard my bedroom as well, to keep the shadow people away; and I haven't seen those demons in a long while either. So I don't have to see them or hear/smell them to know they must be doing the task I asked then to. I call them down in storms too, so my shingles will stay on the roof. Before I knew I had the right to this protection, I would regularly loose shingles, and in my mid 60s now,a 12/12 pitch roof is a super PITA. Gee, I should go check; but I haven't seen any shingles laying in the grass or snow, for.................. a really long time.

So you use the "crazy guy" protection method. Probably better then the S&W protection, and going to jail for shooting somebody over a car.

Move, I rarely lock my car.

If you must, I’d get a unit from a later A Body, for the most part a bolt in installation.

Alan

Unfortunately, oftentimes the threat of physical violence (and, if needed, warning shots) are a better deterrent to criminal activity than the police and court systems provide. But, when push comes to shove I personally like non lethal techniques, like a large arm brace slingshot with big steel rollers or balls out of bearings and rock salt ammunition...

Unfortunately, oftentimes the threat of physical violence (and, if needed, warning shots) are a better deterrent to criminal activity than the police and court systems provide. But, when push comes to shove I personally like non lethal techniques, like a large arm brace slingshot with big steel rollers or balls out of bearings and rock salt ammunition...
My brother-in-law has one of those. That thing has wicked power, but aiming it seems to be a challenge.

My brother-in-law has one of those. That thing has wicked power, but aiming it seems to be a challenge.
Indeed! You don't want to shoot one toward anything you don't want to damage, but if you use a similar technique as when shooting a bow you'll be surprised how accurately they can shoot.

Then that surgical rubber breaks and pops you in your eyeball.…..and you can't see how to unlock your hood chain to get your keys, so you can get to the hospital to get your eye fixed!

:rofl:

I know someone that lost an eye in similar fashion, wear shooters glasses!

Never, ever 'shoot toward' anything.

Know your target.

Know your weapon.

One is all it takes.

do a factory hood release and add a plate in front of the mechanism that the cable pulls on. otherwise they can use a screwdriver to reach though the grill and push the lever over. that and locking hood pins. no matter what you have, if someone wants it bad enough and has the resources to get it, they will

Goin from locking hoods to shootin folk. We're doomed.

Anyway, I much prefer the redneck length of chain and a padlock. Not that chinsey bicycle chain either, but something on the order of a 5/16 link. Big as will fit. I like it because it's not permanent and you can use it whenever you feel the need.

One of mine has a coated steel cable running from hood to bumper bar iron with padlock.

-
Back