Hood pin location - 69 valiant

-

roylerumble

Reaction score
I searched the vaults for some info on this topic, but I'm still a bit unsure about where to drill holes for the hood pins.

My car's a 69 valiant and I'm installing a fiberglass 6 pack hood. I know they didn't have pins from factory, so I figured I'd go with the location on a Duster. I'm thinking I'll remove the fenders and cut access holes in the front lip, but I'd like to get some measurements of where they go on the rad support from the inside of the fender lip or the edge of the hood, and from the front edge of the hood, to center of the hole. I did check for "dimples" but the closest thing I saw was what appeared to be spot welds, and they were not the same distance. From the pics I saw, the pins look to be in line with the bump stops.

Any help would be appreciated.

Here's mine, 72 Duster

duster 12-28-19 001.JPG

In the fender, not the radiator support. Why remove the fender?

to cut the access hole in the front of the fender, the hole you'd drill would also go through the sheet metal on the rad support. At least that's what it looks like in the pics I've seen.
I am not familiar with 69 Valiants , but my Duster pin doesn't go through the rad support. I'm sending another pic showing the support with the fender off. You can see the oblong hole where the j clip goes for the fender bolt. The hood pin will be located outboard of that.

duster 5-5-19 003.JPG

I am not familiar with 69 Valiants , but my Duster pin doesn't go through the rad support. I'm sending another pic showing the support with the fender off. You can see the oblong hole where the j clip goes for the fender bolt. The hood pin will be located outboard of that.

View attachment 1715720962

That pic makes sense. I think I still need to cut that oblong hole in the vertical edge of the f ender just in front of the pin to be able to access the bottom bolt on the pin.

Any chance you can get a few measurements from the edge of the fender to the center of the pin, and maybe the edge of the hood to the center of the hole, both from the side and front of the hood.....?

Thanks. Those pics are a tremendous help

I used a reproduction of the factory hood pin setup for my Duster. In my first pic posted above at #2 , the chrome plate sticking out of the hole in my fender is the nut for the bottom. Having that nut/plate will allow you to locate the hole in the proper place. I'm not sure I put the holes exactly where the factory did. I just went by pics I found on the 'net. Here are some pics that I found:

duster hood pin location 2.jpg

duster hood pin location.jpg

Once you get the pins on the car , put a daub of grease or paint or something on the tip of the pins and close the hood. That will show you where to drill the hood.

-
Back