hood scoop reinforcement and 3M panel glue?

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have fabbed some MW and hemi scoops before for some of my builds. But, my latest kick is the long hood scoop for the 64 Fairlane R code 427 car. No I am just building me a toy not real! And NO 427 either! (Who hit the dark key!?) anway.. I want to reinforce the bottom side with a couple of strips of 18-20 gauge flat stock and glue it there. Will the 3M auto panel glue work? Too much heat???? The scoop is roughly 45 long and about 24 wide. Thoughts!??

I use norton speedgrip all the time, very similar product to the 3m panel bond. I wouldnt be concerned with heat from the engine. Most of these are an epoxy.
Available in 1 min, 5 min, 15 min, 90 min. Be warned, when it says 1 minute you have exactly 1 minute. We use the 90 most of the time. Its amazing stuff, you can actually feather it out like body filler.

I have an aluminum plate jb welded to the underside of my glass 6 pack hood to seal the air cleaner. It will go way over 100 in the 1/8th with no issues and heat has not been an issue. The hood did start to buckle in the center (perpendicular to the crankshaft) after I ran it out the back door a few times. My fix was to use 8 million rivets to secure some aluminum angle to the outter edges where the underside of hood meets fender (parallel to the crankshaft). JB Weld bonds plastic, metal anf fiberglass (it says so on the packaging).

FB_IMG_1695615466400.jpg

I would use SEM structural adhesive. It has microscopic beads in it that doesn't allow over clamping. You also have a good window of application time. The SEM structural panel bond is less runny than 3m's version. I use structural panel bond on a lot of sheet metal replacement. We make some small wood strips that you can place between the clamps and the panel to avoid any bending or distortion of the panel.

I would use SEM structural adhesive. It has microscopic beads in it that doesn't allow over clamping. You also have a good window of application time. The SEM structural panel bond is less runny than 3m's version. I use structural panel bond on a lot of sheet metal replacement. We make some small wood strips that you can place between the clamps and the panel to avoid any bending or distortion of the panel.
The structural adhesive is what I was guessing even though I have no experience with it. Heat was my only concern. Look like cheaper than epoxy too.

The structural adhesive is what I was guessing even though I have no experience with it. Heat was my only concern. Look like cheaper than epoxy too.
We use structural adhesive on box sides that are black... imagine them sitting in the sun in August.... The one thing you should be concerned with is how some adhesives tend to GROW as they cure... they will bulge and deform the area that has been glued.... structural adhesive does not grow as it cures.

-
Back