Hose clamp removal

-

65LoveAffair

Whovian
Reaction score
I was fighting with removing a heater hose from my DD recently. I couldn't get the factory hose clamp off where the hose attaches to the water pump.

View attachment 2016-03-06 15.38.07.jpg

I really hate the OEM spring type Mubea hose clamps that krazykuda detailed in a post a little over a year ago.

View attachment 2016-03-06 15.38.30.jpg

The problem I have always had with them is that I can never get a wrench down there to squeeze the ends together to get them off.

View attachment 2016-03-06 15.38.44.jpg

And if I do get the wrench on it, once I squeeze it together, the clamp usually turns around and slips off at the point where it is completely impossible to get the wrench back on.

View attachment 2016-03-06 15.39.04.jpg

Plus, I'm too cheap to go to one of the box stores and pay at least $30 for the proper cable-style pliers to remove them the right way.

That's when MommaCat came up with a brilliant idea. I'm sure others have thought of this, and use this technique, but I have never seen it mentioned or written up elsewhere (I did search), so I thought I would share and see if anybody else does it this way.

First, I took an old, used screw-type hose clamp. I'm sure a new one would work, but it might get bent out of shape.

View attachment 2016-03-06 15.39.14.jpg

I then slipped the clamp around the prongs on the OEM spring-type clamp.

View attachment 2016-03-06 15.39.36.jpg
View attachment 2016-03-06 15.39.46.jpg

Now, all I had to do was tighten the spring-type clamp with either a screw driver or a socket wrench, and it would release the tension on the clamp.

View attachment 2016-03-06 15.40.32.jpg
View attachment 2016-03-06 15.41.18.jpg

As a bonus, it would hold that tension, keeping the spring clamp loose while I worked to release the heater hose from the water pump.

View attachment 2016-03-06 16.52.10.jpg

It was really a brilliant solution, and it just reaffirmed the fact that I married a unicorn! Hope this helps somebody else out in the future!

Why didn't she just do it for you then?:D

Seriously though, that sure was good thinking.

This is the kind of old school ideas that will help many people, I for one also have struggled with these darned things!! Great idea, and thanks for sharing it!!! Geof

You need to buy her a set of coveralls if she doesn't have some already!
Thanks for sharing with us.

I have cussed a few words with those clamps as well. Pretty awesome idea. Thanks

Too many ideas like that could run guys like me out of business! I'm keeping this idea under my hat. LOL

I tell ya, MommaCat was blushing when I read all of your comments to her. You all really made her day. Thanks!

I was fighting with removing a heater hose from my DD recently. I couldn't get the factory hose clamp off where the hose attaches to the water pump.

View attachment 1714878952

I really hate the OEM spring type Mubea hose clamps that krazykuda detailed in a post a little over a year ago.

View attachment 1714878953

The problem I have always had with them is that I can never get a wrench down there to squeeze the ends together to get them off.

View attachment 1714878954

And if I do get the wrench on it, once I squeeze it together, the clamp usually turns around and slips off at the point where it is completely impossible to get the wrench back on.

View attachment 1714878955

Plus, I'm too cheap to go to one of the box stores and pay at least $30 for the proper cable-style pliers to remove them the right way.

That's when MommaCat came up with a brilliant idea. I'm sure others have thought of this, and use this technique, but I have never seen it mentioned or written up elsewhere (I did search), so I thought I would share and see if anybody else does it this way.

First, I took an old, used screw-type hose clamp. I'm sure a new one would work, but it might get bent out of shape.

View attachment 1714878956

I then slipped the clamp around the prongs on the OEM spring-type clamp.

View attachment 1714878957
View attachment 1714878958

Now, all I had to do was tighten the spring-type clamp with either a screw driver or a socket wrench, and it would release the tension on the clamp.

View attachment 1714878959
View attachment 1714878960

As a bonus, it would hold that tension, keeping the spring clamp loose while I worked to release the heater hose from the water pump.

View attachment 1714878961

It was really a brilliant solution, and it just reaffirmed the fact that I married a unicorn! Hope this helps somebody else out in the future!

There's brilliance ,in subtle simplicity. Great move,(on her part..) to help her mate's quality of life. Nice....

Did you know they make a clamp tool with a 18 inch swivel cable that has a pliers on one end. It clamps and locks so you can reach down and easily remove the clamp with your hand Leave the tool on the clamp for reinstall. Easy Peasy. If you need a pic of the tool I can get you one. The easist a best clamp ever made .Never needs retightening and they do not seep

Years ago, before the dealership, I worked for a tire /auto service store. A customer came in with a diesel engine VW Rabbit. There were several small water hoses and most of them were saturated with oil. His plan was to replace them all. When he got to the one that was actually leaking and started all this he came to a complete stop. Clamps were wire loop and screw type. He had ruined the screw head.
I reached in with a diagonal wire plier and snipped the 2 wires and the clamp fell apart. Customer asked, "Now why couldn't I think of that ?" I answered with a question, "What do you do for a living ?" His reply, "I'm a C.P.A.". I said ,"Well there's your answer. I'm a mechanic".
I wont go into detail about how I defeat the clamp in your picture since you already defeated it. I will hint that the little finger that limits how far it will open is it's only defense.

Did you know they make a clamp tool with a 18 inch swivel cable that has a pliers on one end. It clamps and locks so you can reach down and easily remove the clamp with your hand Leave the tool on the clamp for reinstall. Easy Peasy. If you need a pic of the tool I can get you one. The easist a best clamp ever made .Never needs retightening and they do not seep

From my original post:

Yeah, I know they make them, but I didn't want to spend the money. I've already thrown enough money at this damn truck. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

-
Back