• All hot rod black

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • Hot rod black, blue roof and blue stripe

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Leave the car the way it is for now

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
-
OK, here's my .02 - take the money you'd put into your Dart to paint it black and start your 'finished paint' account. You'll be that much closer to your finished paint.
I just don't see the point in doing something twice.
Also, as long as you're doing your own bodywork why not eliminate both the round '68 marker lights on the front fenders and the '69 reflectors on the rear quarters? Smoother look.

Definitely a wild and different intake setup you got there, Longgone. Looking between those carbs has gotta be like looking down a gunsight.

OK, here's my .02 - take the money you'd put into your Dart to paint it black and start your 'finished paint' account. You'll be that much closer to your finished paint.
I just don't see the point in doing something twice.
Also, as long as you're doing your own bodywork why not eliminate both the round '68 marker lights on the front fenders and the '69 reflectors on the rear quarters? Smoother look.

Funny thing is thats another issue that gets tossed around in the garage alot.. the marker light situation.. See I stuck those goofy reflectors on the front for Pa state inspection.. the car has to have what it came with from the factory (in terms of lights and marker lights) to pass inspection.. My Dart came with reflectors.. I thought about putting 68 markers all the way around since I like the look of lights as opposed to reflectors.. but.. I am still holding out hope for actual 69 fenders... so who knows where the marker light saga will end up.. thats down the road a ways LOL

I can`t see doing double work either, but I couldn`t help but post the pics of that rat-rod black 66 Dart I`d found. :-D You should see if you can find someone looking for a pair of good 68 fenders and sell them. With the money you make off them you can invest into a set of fiberglass fenders from AAR or put the money aside for some good steel 69 fenders. You never know, it`s possible there`s somebody with a 68 Dart out there with 69 fenders just waiting for someone like you to come along.

I can`t see doing double work either, but I couldn`t help but post the pics of that rat-rod black 66 Dart I`d found. :-D You should see if you can find someone looking for a pair of good 68 fenders and sell them. With the money you make off them you can invest into a set of fiberglass fenders from AAR or put the money aside for some good steel 69 fenders. You never know, it`s possible there`s somebody with a 68 Dart out there with 69 fenders just waiting for someone like you to come along.

That would be nice indeed LOL .. so heres the other problem with that.. I found out the hard way that 68 and 69 fenders look the same (all but that marker light) .. but... they're not... I had to cut the headlight buckets loose and move them out (had no clue the headlights on a 68 were in a slightly differant location than 69's) and the tops of the fenders where they mount to the core support are differant as well.. I had to do some cutting so the 69 grill would fit....

View attachment 93123

I agree with the "wait and paint 1 color opinions"

from a monetary standpoint only.

However I voted "leave it as it is" as a final option.
its a functional beauty thing .... and I am a
" functional beauty" proponent :-D

p.s. bitchin Dart

View attachment 93123

I agree with the "wait and paint 1 color opinions"

from a monetary standpoint only.

However I voted "leave it as it is" as a final option.
its a functional beauty thing .... and I am a
" functional beauty" proponent :-D

p.s. bitchin Dart

You could get together with 66340sedan and start a new trend. :toothy10:

Car looks great the way it is IMO. Looks killer cause you think those are fiberglass fenders, just as factory SS/AA Darts.

Even faded paint can be computer color matched. If you're gonna shoot the whole car -- shoot the blue.

I plan on painting my '68 'Cuda satin/semi-gloss black because there are no cars painted like that around here. I will first experiment by mixing some gloss black into the satin to see if I can get a little more sheen to it. I will keep everyone posted as I progress.

Every one is going to have there own opinion on a subject liek this one....and it all comes down to what YOU want the color to be. Don't paint it a color everyone else thinks is cool and end up being a color you are not that into....itis your car after all. In my opinion. I would leave it how it is until you can afford to do a paint job,Id go the B5 blue with some kind of black accent such as the stripe in back and a satin black hood or something along those lines. I personally dont like the all flat black look....to me ,it looks more un finished then a multi colored car. A multi colored car gives people the impression that your saving up to give the car a nice paint job...a flat black one gives the impression that you either ran out of money and thats as far as you could afford to paint or.....that you dont care enough about your car to treat it to a nice paint job...again,thats just my opinion. Good luck and keep everyone posted!

Thanks to all who voted and gave me thier opinions... Alot of great points were made... And I realize that in the end its my choice and its my car to do what makes me happy with... truthfully, I am leaning towards just leaving her the way she is for now.. concentrate on getting the parts and supplies needed to finish the car.. as I said.... probably 2 more years.. (god and money willing) ... Thanks again.. you guys are great!

let it be. just more work, and looks better with the way it is. if you paint it , everyone will think "what a nerd" he thinks that is cool and he will prob leave it the way it is. now they say, o'man he is almost done, it will look good and not too far down the road. you will be more apt to work on it if it is the way it is. once black you will think up reasons to not work on it cause you usually work one panel at a time. so you going to work a panel, paint black again, work another and paint black again etc. just more reasons and work to avoid. everhting sticks better to orginal paint. just a thought:)

-
Back