Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Leave the car the way it is for now

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
-

SpeedracerX

Still on this side of the dirt member
Reaction score
Hey gang... So I am looking for some input here, I have seen similiar postings in the past about painting cars hot rod black (or flat black, whatever you want to call it) .. As you can see from the pic, my Dart is multi-colored to say the least.. lol.. I have her mechanically done (at least for now).. But due to money being extremely tight, I am probably a couple years away from paint.. I still have to hang a passenger side quarter, drivers rocker needs some TLC, and the fenders need work as well...

So anyways the idea started getting kicked around in my group of garage buddies to paint the car hot rod black for now, so that at least its one color.. Of course this sparked debate LOL .. Some said it was a waste of paint, and a pain in the *** extra step of removing more paint when it comes time for actually body work.. others say it will look cool.. and still others have said the car looks cool and mean already with the whole 'work in progress' theme...

So my choices are... All hot rod black, Hot rod black but leave the roof blue and have a blue stripe, or lastly.. leave it the way it is....

Any ideas, thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated....

One finaly note, the car will eventually be B5 blue, and that color is already sprayed under the hood.. (adding to the multi-color theme lol) .. and Monica has said she likes the idea of hot rod black.. adding to my 'not sure what to do' dilema LOL

HPIM1325.jpg

Are those fiberglass fenders SpeedracerX? Did I read here somewhere that you were going with the 68 marker light's?
I would just leave it so you dont have to strip/sand off when ready to paint her final color. Is that the origional paint? It's hard to see the top in the picture or the hood top. Maybe just black those out.

I would leave it as is and enjoy the site of a build in progress :cheers:
I like to see work going on.=P~
I don't like removing paint, But if you do ether it will look good and make you happy :happy10: Just me memike :-D

Ok!! who did not Vote I did he he

Are those fiberglass fenders SpeedracerX? Did I read here somewhere that you were going with the 68 marker light's?
I would just leave it so you dont have to strip/sand off when ready to paint her final color. Is that the origional paint? It's hard to see the top in the picture or the hood top. Maybe just black those out.

The hood is already black on the top.. My Dart was wrecked when I got her.. so I changed the front clip.. (thats why its all in black).. the fenders are steel.. they are 68 fenders simply because 69 fenders seem to be impossible to find, at least at a price I can afford LOL.. And no the car was repainted sometime in its life.. thats the original color, not original paint... Thanks for your input

Why not just get a quart of blue and just paint the fenders make it all one color for now. I wouldn't want to sand off all that black either.

Why not just get a quart of blue and just paint the fenders make it all one color for now. I wouldn't want to sand off all that black either.

Actually that thought came up a time or two.. problem is, the blue thats on there is very faded, and dull.. it would be near impossible to get a match on the paint..

I would leave it as is and enjoy the site of a build in progress :cheers:
I like to see work going on.=P~
I don't like removing paint, But if you do ether it will look good and make you happy :happy10: Just me memike :-D

I too like the 'work in progress' look... but I have been driving her this way for nearly 4 years now.. (1 year as a /6 and the last 3 with the 360 in it) .. Its just every now and then I kind long for one color.. this last trip to the Nats kinda sparked it again.. My Dart sorta looks like the ugly duckling sitting at car shows LMAO ... every year for the last 4 years there has been progress on the car... but its been in areas that people dont notice (like this last winter was upgrade to the 8 3/4, new gas tank, and properly repaired frame rails) .. but the average person still sees the same multi-colored Dart they saw last year LOL ...

ugh - I can't stand the flat black trend. Even if your car is multi-colored, the blue with the factory-type stripe showing still looks a lot better than some rattle-can looking flat black paint job. Don't waste your time or $ - your car will turn a lot more heads as it looks now, compared to a beater-looking, spray painted, flat black car.

IMO - flat black jobs don;t look good on muscle cars - save that for the hot rods. Flat black should only be used, IMO, in factory-type paint schemes that originally used it - like an A12 lift-off hood.

BTW - if I saw your car driving around, it certainly would get my attention - I think it's a nice looking car - even with the black fenders.

I say do it. Who knows when you will be able to afford to do the total repaint? I did it because my car had a couple bad paint jobs on it and it was fading, chipping, etc. I disagree that your car will get more looks without doing it from personal experience. My car looks good all one color and gets thumbs up and looks all the time now. Before that it was just another multi colored beater. You can do it on the cheap too, not with rattle cans. I bought a 25 dollar HVLP gun, and a gallon of Blitz Black at the John Deere dealer for 25 more bucks. I spent two days sanding the car and repairing small dings and took an afternoon to shoot it. My total investment is less than $100 and now I have a cohesive paint job, not perfect but passable. As for sanding it down again, it's really not that much more work to remove one layer of paint. I'm also going to add a stripe around the back in a semi gloss to add a little flair.

ugh - I can't stand the flat black trend. Even if your car is multi-colored, the blue with the factory-type stripe showing still looks a lot better than some rattle-can looking flat black paint job. Don't waste your time or $ - your car will turn a lot more heads as it looks now, compared to a beater-looking, spray painted, flat black car.

IMO - flat black jobs don;t look good on muscle cars - save that for the hot rods. Flat black should only be used, IMO, in factory-type paint schemes that originally used it - like an A12 lift-off hood.

BTW - if I saw your car driving around, it certainly would get my attention - I think it's a nice looking car - even with the black fenders.

I am not a fan of rattle can flat black paint jobs.. I have seen plenty of those.. saw a couple at the Nats that way.. but also saw a few painted properly... I am kind of torn.. I do like the look of hot rod black, but... lol.. any yeah I still get looks when people pass the Dart.. but to be honest, I am not building a car just so people will look at it more.. When I started this project, I never intended to build a jaw dropping, 100 point show car.. If I remember correctly, my original goal was to build a cool looking cruiser that sounded good, and would break the tires loose if the urge struck... So far IMHO I have accomplished that already... I just want it to look a little bit cooler LOL

To do it right I doubt you will spend the same as a proper paint job. Hot rod black is for rods anyway.

I don't think hot rod black looks right on most muscle cars. Just cheap. Way too many loud, slow primered el-caminos running around in the 80s for me to ever really dig it.

It does look cool on hot rods, old Mercs, and of course, '55 Chevy bel airs.

It definitely doesn't look right with anything but slicks and skinnies, and even most of the rods that look cool do something to class it up, like painting a slightly more or less matte checkerboard or flames or something else on it.

Sometimes a worn out leather jacket looks cool, and sometimes it looks overdue for the trash can.

paint the frontfenders and the hood flatblack and the rest of the car primergrey. Gives you that superstockerlook :-D. I´ll do it with my dart in the lack of money.

I kno wthe feeling. When I bought my pickup a couple of months ago, it's paint was all faded and worn through. I went ahead and sanded most of it down and shot it a tinted blue primer and a butte stripe on it just to make it look a little better. You'd be amazed at how many people say nice truck" to me now.

92ramday1.JPG

92ramday2pic5.JPG

92ramday4pic1.JPG

If your paint is faded but not peeling off just give it a good buffing before painting the fenders. I would use regular acrilic enamal and spray it a bit dry if needed. your right you'll never get an exact match but if you buff the car frist then use enamal instead of base clear you might be pleasantly surprised. You could leave the hood black also.

If your paint is faded but not peeling off just give it a good buffing before painting the fenders. I would use regular acrilic enamal and spray it a bit dry if needed. your right you'll never get an exact match but if you buff the car frist then use enamal instead of base clear you might be pleasantly surprised. You could leave the hood black also.

we tried buffing the body already.. didnt help.. lol.. that paint is DEAD lmao

It sounds like you wanna do it black..... I think it would look good ether way. I voted to leave it as it is. I would get some spray bombs and paint the black on it now blue.
If you fogged it in, it would match and also think about the black primer absorbing moisture and rusting what's underneath.....
IMOHO.
Tom.

that blue tint prime would look good on your front end till you paint it. doesnt clash but you can tell its a work in progress

-
Back