Hot Rodding is Dead

-
Maybe its not dead yet but its sure not like it was, sure if you are rich to spend $20,000-$50,000 you can still get a real hot rod but yeah the days of dirt cheap hot rods are gone. I was looking at these streets here right before the snow came and all I seen was skid marks BEFORE the stop lights. After the lights nothing! Don't believe me look at the pavements around the lights by your house. I remember seening skid marks everywhere and some 100 feet long right after the light, not anymore. And around here in the 70 mph zones you can see many trucks, suv's driving 65-70 max. Maybe they get better milage, maybe they are scare if they get 1 ticket they won't be able to afford that $40,000 ride, IDK but the days of packs of cars doing 80+ in a 70 zone are long gone here in Michigan and forget even seening a 100+ car anymore. No, now you can just hear rap music blasting away from some japan car doing 85 max. I am sorry but thats how I see it, oh sure we had the "dream cruse" here last summer and there were many many nice rides everywhere but they all mostly were pussy footing around and if anybody did light the tires up a cop would go right after it. At least 55 mph is dead but seems like traffic does not remember you are to drive 5-10 mph over the limit like everybody used to. Red lights stink also, with all these 4 wheel disc brakes and cars people can barely afford to own and people yaking on their cell phones, as soon as the light turns yellow traffic comes right to a stop, no more going though the yellow light oh no, we have to stop like good boys and girls. Maybe I am too old but I can remember how it was like and it was better, much better and all these video cameras in the cop cars stink also, but enough I guess.

im just a young one, i never expirenced it back then. but you rambling gives me a good idea what it was like.

Fu#*!k the yellow light!and that stinky cops too!!!I still burning tires with my dodge here ,Our cops don't have that camera!!hehe
One thing is true,it's getting too expensive to have a Hot Rod these days. :angry4:

Baby_Bummers_Bomb2.jpg

dodge freak,
If your representation of the dream cruise is accurate, then you should come to the 28th Street Metro Cruise in Grand Rapids next year (usually the week after the Dream Cruise). 28th street still has many very dark tire marks from this past August. Also, it is rumored that there were more than a few match races that occurred. Sure there were high dollar trailer queens, but the majority of the 4000 plus cars were home built "Hot Rods". Hot Rodding might be dead in other parts of the country, but it is alive and kickin here. Of course, our part of the country is always behind the times.

Actually it is just making a comeback around here. The increased number of older cars and muscle cars was really noticable this summer.

Jack

Yes the west side of Michigan is better, not as much salt was dump over the years-even thought that side gets 2-3X more snow-and theres less traffic & cops. I was in Las Vegas in 2003 and that traffic MOVES, so I am sure theres still great places to drive. Maybe its just where I live-20 miles north east of Detroit. Gas going over $3 this year and all the auto lay offs sure did not help out. Yes in the middle of the night things are better, but you can't see so great, I like driving in the day light. Theres still are a few good times here and we have no smog or safety tests for any cars and NO red light cameras like some states, and Canada is a short drive away. Oh, driving fast is a big big no no in Windsor but the girls make up for that part.

Hey LowDart:

Are you in Sao Paulo? I head down there on business about twice a year and was just there last week. What I want to know is have you been to the car show that they have every Tuesday night at the Sambodromo? I have been hearing about it for some time now and I think I'll try to go when I head back down in February. I started to go last week but it was raining cats & dogs so I figured it would be a waste of time... Are there a lot of Mopars at the show? If so, which models? Is there a swap meet? I'd be interested in any info you have on the show.

Also, what years did they build Darts like yours in Brasil? I've seen a few others there that have a different grill so I assume they were made for several years.

Obrigado,
Ray

Yeah man, in my neighborhood there is only ONE other classic other than my Duster. He lives right down the street and it's a 66 Charger. Every other 'cool' car is from overseas.

Greg

My thoughts. Hot rodding is not dead. It is just not the same. In the "old" days, we would put a car together from junkyard parts, and make what we needed. Today most everyone, gets out the Summit or Jegs catalog and orders parts. Some will install the parts themselvs, others will pay to have them installed. Myself, I like the old way, and it can still be done, but it takes time. I am building a 66 Valiant, that I found in the junkyard for $125. Been shoping for bargains, and fabing stuff. Hope to have it done in 2007. It is powered by a 225 slant six, and the goal is to turn the 1/4 in the 12's. My budget on this car is $1,500. That is hundred dollars, not thousand. As for the "tire marks", 40 years ago, there were not near as many cars on the same road. And most payed attention to their driving, not dialing/talking on a cell phone. There was much less chance of an accident back then.

Coyote Jack said:
Actually it is just making a comeback around here. The increased number of older cars and muscle cars was really noticable this summer.

Jack
Out of all the state's I could have picked to live in, Arkansas has been good to me!! I have lived here for 31 year's.Yep we mite be nothing but hillbilly's,
river rat's,rednack,s farmer's and run around bar foot and smoke corn cob pipe's but hot rodin is verymuch alive here. and to say it has changed,
I disagree. I just think it has grown to different leval's.For instant,Our drag strip is still full of 2000 dollar junk yard die hard's drag racer,s,these old guy's can still get it down the track with nothing but old school part's,gear,s,head's,hot gas and a good bitting rear tire's. :thumbup:
when nitrus hit the race track here it was not hard for them old guy's to squert there's,We did have a run of mustang,s hit our track here in Arkansas
But our littel light dart's,duster's and cuda's kept them out of the money.
I live 15 mile's from the race track 1/8 mile head's up wild cat racing.It is the longest running track in the hole country.espn was there on the 50th year.
look it up it's called george ray's drag strip under wildcatracing in Paragould Arkansas. As for law inforsment almost all of them here in jonesboro own's one or two'and we do have a out of the way place to drag race.But I say keep it on the track. WoW this coffie has got me ramblin.

Charrlie:

Your Valiant sounds cool! Based on most everyone's comments Hot Rodding is not dead but has just changed over the years. I think the availability (or lack of) of the cars and their relative value has played a significant role also, especially lately. The younger guys can't afford most of the cars now, especially the E-Bodies - who can? I got started at 16 in 1978 - traded a '72 toyota wagon in fair shape and $300 for a bone stock, rock solid '70 Duster 340. Those deals just aren't out there today for them to get started on. So they become "Tuners" instead. Just economics. I still have that Duster by the way...it became the first of MANY...

What are you doing to the /6 to get into the 12's? Are you in Marion or Okaloosa county? I have some stock /6 stuff in a parts car that is cluttering up the garage (complete 225 w/904) i you'd like to give it a home...

Ray

E ai Rays340.
I'm from Rio de Janeiro,but i've been in some of SP car events and the Sambódramo one it's pretty nice.lot's of BR Dodge's of all Models(Charger R/T,Dart,Magnum,Le Baron) and Years(70 to 79),Maverick GT,Camaro's,Mustang's,GTO's,Impala's,HotRods etc...Last month we had the- 3ºMopar Nationals Brasil ,in the Itupeva City, is São Paulo State near the SP City and there you would see that Brasil it's gettin better when we talk about car Restoration and Racing preparation.
We had Chalenger's,Charger's All Models of Brasil Dodge's .A real Mopar show!!!
And SP also got the 'Aguas de Lindoia'HotRods,Muscle's and Classic Cars Event .
I'm Going to check'it out the Events Avaible in February for you.
See ya.
(The Grill it's from the Charger 75 model) :angry4:

Littleman66 The vidio was as we used to say very Groovy man!!

Here I was at ages 16 thru 21 ( many many many years ago)

In my immediate neighborhood (5 square blocks lets say)

64 Dart HIPO (my dad)
69 Dart GT with worked 318 MINE)
383 Plymouth GTX my friend's brother across the street
383 Roadrunner
440 six pak GTX
32 ford roadster with a 392 HEMI

52 Chevy with buick motor
53 Chevy witha 392 Hemi (my friends and I had fun with this sleeper)
55 chevy with 327
55 Chevy stock
56 Chevy with worked 265
57 chevy qith 327 fuelie from a vette

Three 427 Camaros Ornage, Blue and turquoise
Three 396 Chevelles all black
62 Corvette fuelie candy apple red
63 split window corvette coupe (silver)

390 Frd Fairlane Convertible
32 ford roadster with a blown buick
A 56 ford with a works 292
A 50 Ford Club coupe with a worked flathead

NOW HERE I AM TODAY IN MY CURRENT NEIGHBORHOOD

69 Dart GTS 440 (ME)
'06 300C HEMI 5.7 (ME)
'06 PT CRUISER TURBO (ME)
'06 Charger HEMI Next door neighbor's son
71 Cuda 383 Neighbor around the block
'05 Ram truck HEMI 5.7

'02 Corvette 350

THAT"S IT

Quite a difference. Is it dead? Well it sure ain't what it used to be!!

That was a great vid!!
I live in a small town in New Jersey and there are about 20 hot rods in town.
5 on my block alone.
Mine is the only Mopar!

I must live in a weird area. Within 3 blocks of my house - 70 charger, 70 roadrunner, (2) 70 superbees, 73 swinger hotrodded, olds W31, 70 challenger, 57 chebbie, 64 chevy, 57 tbird, not to mention my own darts. Hmmm...hot roddin aint dead. With the exception of a couple of the cars I know all the owners. Pretty okay place in my opinion.

man i would do about anything to be around in the 60's and 70's the cars, more laid back, and not a cop everywhere that will nit pick u at everything, yeah street racing is dangerious but if ur out in the middle of now where jesus :sad: i sure love seeing the old cars drive around though, especially mopars :wav:

o and to add i see there is a cuda in that video :thumbup: how is the valiant coming along Charlie long time no talk. Yeah i do hate people who drive with there cell phones on, hell a month ago i got rearended bye a girl on a cell phone that made me all the more against em

1966 dart wagon said:
man i would do about anything to be around in the 60's and 70's the cars, more laid back, and not a cop everywhere that will nit pick u at everything, yeah street racing is dangerious but if ur out in the middle of now where jesus :sad: i sure love seeing the old cars drive around though, especially mopars :wav:

o and to add i see there is a cuda in that video :thumbup: how is the valiant coming along Charlie long time no talk. Yeah i do hate people who drive with there cell phones on, hell a month ago i got rearended bye a girl on a cell phone that made me all the more against em

We had four cops living in my neighborhood.

One of them owned one of the Chevelles I mentioned up top. He used to come out to Suffolk Cty Raceway or National Speedway( both Long Island) with us on Sundays, and if we got caught racing on the street, we mentioned his name and we were good to go.

ANother had a 65 Polara shell in his garage that he never finished. I think he was trying to find a street hemi to put in it but never did)

Those were great times

Maybe things will get better in a few more years, many new cars are coming out and some of these ones now will be cheaper. But it never be as good as it once was. Too many heaps on the road now also. Just wait untill all these 5500 lbs suv's are running around with worn out motors, you think they are slow now just wait 5-10 more years. I know one thing, my motorcycle days are long gone. Only way I get a bike now is if I moved to Japan where all the small cars are.

-
Back