Hotchkis hood pin measurements needed

-
Ive looked into the ring brothers ones but not sure how the hood plate attaches

Edit: they attach with double sided tape, how cheesy, especially for $200

you might want to get more accurate measurements, because 1.5in on a side and 2in diagonal does not calculate out. If you have exactly 1.5 in on a side, it will calculate out to very close to 2-1/8" diagonal. Someone should probably measure the bolt pattern with dial calipers.

I wonder if you could remove the anodization from them to make them a raw aluminum
Well, I know from comparing the plates to my grill before my grill was painted the they are at least a couple of shades darker. You might be able to live with that.
The Ring Bros I saw were held with 4 screws just like we have.
If you buff them hard enough the anodization most likely will come off. But before I'd do that I'd ask them if they'd sell you a "raw" set since you are planning the call them anyway.

you might want to get more accurate measurements, because 1.5in on a side and 2in diagonal does not calculate out. If you have exactly 1.5 in on a side, it will calculate out to very close to 2-1/8" diagonal. Someone should probably measure the bolt pattern with dial calipers.
That is what my upholsterer did.

I might be a 1/16” with the tape measure but thats the measurements i got

Just re did it with a straight ruler, 2” diagonally and actually 1-7/16” on each side

I could slightly open the holes, wouldnt take much

Just checked the Ring Bros web page I didn't see anything about tape. 4 screw holes, etc.
Search results for: 'pin' - Ringbrothers

Heres off the intructions on summit

“Install the hood pin plates. Note that the plates will be attached with tape, so if the hood has been recently waxed you may want to remove the wax around the hood pins so the tape will stick. Tape the recessed bottom surface of each hood pin plate. Cover the entire surface so the tape laps over the sides and then trim the tape inside the recess flange and around the center hole. Close the hood and remove the protective plastic from the double sided tape. Center each plate on the hood pin and lower it to contact the hood. Press them into place.”

They prob dont advertise it cause $200 for tape on hood plates is a rip off! Thats what your relying on to mate up with the pin in cause of a hood latch failure

Heres off the intructions on summit

“Install the hood pin plates. Note that the plates will be attached with tape, so if the hood has been recently waxed you may want to remove the wax around the hood pins so the tape will stick. Tape the recessed bottom surface of each hood pin plate. Cover the entire surface so the tape laps over the sides and then trim the tape inside the recess flange and around the center hole. Close the hood and remove the protective plastic from the double sided tape. Center each plate on the hood pin and lower it to contact the hood. Press them into place.”

They probably dont advertise it cause $200 for tape on hood plates is a rip off! Thats what your relying on to mate up with the pin in cause of a hood latch failure
I read that and it doesn't make any sense to me. You can see from the literature there are 4 screws to attached the base, and I have personally seen them on a 69 Dart flop top and they had screws. I wonder if the tape is used as a method of locating everything until the screw holes are drilled? As for mine it was easy, I located the base and pin, marked everything and drilled the holes.

I read that and it doesn't make any sense to me. You can see from the literature there are 4 screws to attached the base, and I have personally seen them on a 69 Dart flop top and they had screws. I wonder if the tape is used as a method of locating everything until the screw holes are drilled? As for mine it was easy, I located the base and pin, marked everything and drilled the holes.

Right but the hood plate doesnt have provisions for screw holes

7CA74935-C5DF-46C9-8396-4A3DF66B4281.jpeg

You are correct, there are no holes. I guess the set I saw had been machined to use screws

Packing List:
2 – Hood retaining pins
2 – Ball lock pins
2 – Top nuts (with holes around perimeter)
1 – Spanner wrench for top nuts
2 – Base plates (with three countersunk holes) 6 – 1” Long #10 Phillips head screws
2 – Hood pin plates
*2 – Double-sided tape discs*

Thats lame lol

Since the hotchkis plates are only 1/32” longer on bolth holes on each side i would only have to open up the holes roughly 1/16” which i can live with, i contacted hotchkis to see if i can get them raw aluminum we will see

Let me know how that works out for you. Meanwhile I’m going to get serious about that steak. Pour a nice glass of Merlot, a salad and relax. We out here in the land of fruits and nuts (left coast, I’m a native so I can say that) we like our wines!
If you want to check out my Dart build go to member restorations and look up retroron “sneaking toward the finish line” . You’ll see the dart build.

-
Back