Hotchkiss Leafs Installed

-
That's why if I had an E body I would definitly do Hotchkis upper ca's. I never knew how bad their geometry was.

I measured my anti squat angle at 2.5-3.0 degrees. This makes sense to me, as I mentioned earlier, the eye position I am using is slightly higher than the hotchkiss bracket position. I will go out on a limb and assume the bracket is designed for 4 degrees. My old MP offset hangers have one orig set and one added set through the years. It figures the hotchkiss position falls right between 3/8" either way. I'm going to move it to the lower position (slightly higher body height) re-measure and call it a day. I tried to verify this info leaving a message for Drew at Hotchkiss, but never received a call back. Should I be surprised??

are the drop spindles a-bpdy or fmj body height?

and what are your experiences with wheelhop, etc with the hotchkis springs?

Michael

Hey I was looking into getting some bilstein shocks for my setup and was wondering who I should buy them through. Hotchkis code shows RCD-70-56063 for them. Does autozone possibly carry this just for the off chance there might be a set in my state [-o< ? Would love this build to be done before next semester.

The only wheel hop I ever had with mopar springs was on serious decel on the track if I down shifted too early. I won't be on the track with the Hotchkiss pieces until the spring. The dropped spindles are based on 73-6 A body pieces.

i was wondering more about acceleration wheelhop. were putting a set on a ~500hp duster, and im trying to forsee trouble before it gets here.

I bought a set of these too. Man that is a lot of money to pay to have the difference in height be so extreme compared to what is advertised. I am really worried my tires are going to hit the upper inner wheel well. I haven't had my exhuast done yet, do you think I will be able to go all the way to the bumper with it without hitting the rear axle?

I bought a set of these too. Man that is a lot of money to pay to have the difference in height be so extreme compared to what is advertised. I am really worried my tires are going to hit the upper inner wheel well. I haven't had my exhuast done yet, do you think I will be able to go all the way to the bumper with it without hitting the rear axle?

I have full 2 1/2" TTI exhaust all the way out to the tips. I do not have any issues rubbing exhaust or shocks.

It's very close between the gas tank and leaf spring on the passenger side. The leaves are the same width as the stock ones and it was just as close there with my stock leaves.

I would not put these on any 111" wheelbase car period. The price is reasonable actually.

Why would you not put them on a 111" wheelbase car? Did you try them on yours? What were the issues? I have a 72 Dart and bought them and am now a bit worried.

Have you read my thread? I don't make comments lightly, and don't speak until I have logical, personal experience.I feel the overhang of the 111" wheelbase cars along with the normally heavier overall weight of these cars makes that spring unusable. I have built 108" cars that are 600lbs lighter than my Dart, that this spring would work excellent for.

I measured the arc of these springs against the factory 340 arc measurements and they aren't far off. Since they sag so much, I am led to believe they are way less in rate than the 130lb they advertise. Factory 340 leafs are 110 lbs. In fact, I just replaced the Hotchkiss springs with 102 lbs springs that have a stiffer feel without the height issue I had with the Hotchkiss pieces.

For the record, I did call Hotchkiss and ask for designed install heights, and they had none.

Thanks for the info. I was not questioning that you did not install them, it was more of an inquiry as to your experiences and why you thought that way. I have read many of your threads and respect your thoughts as your car inspires my build. I am just a little nervous as I had bought my hochkiss springs already a while ago.

Loving all the info here. Might I ask where you are getting the spindles from and if there will be a write up on those, also? I'm not buying the bumpsteer thing if the tie rod relation to the lower arm isn't changed, but whatever, I am still interested.

Interesting thoughts on the springs for different wheelbases. I might have to look harder at that. What size spring eye bolt do the Hotchkiss springs use?

Anyone else have the hotchkis leaf spring on a 111" wheelbase car that has had a better experience? I was thinking about ordering a set but maybe there's a better option, I want a good handling car that rides a little lower then stock. Is it possible that you got a bad set of springs if they were less then 130lbs? What did you end up going with and hows the ride height now?

I'll have to post newer pictures. The ride height is on the money now. Its 21" from the top of the wheelwell to the ground. I run a 26.7" tall tire. Still experimenting with rates, but I also have an old hellwig 1" rear bar.

-
Back