Houston bound

-

Dart_Guy

Reaction score
Well, I sold my soul for money... A few weeks ago I posted a thread about whether or not it was worth leaving a place you love for a promotion in a big city. I accepted the job and should be moved by March at the latest. But I will be spending some time down there after 1/1 because I got to hire about 5 people for my team. Overall we are hiring about 30 people.

My wife and I looked at it from every angle and it just seemed to be worth it. I will miss Colorado, but we will most likely return someday. We are still pretty young and can afford to move for the career advance. And I am sure we will make the best of our stay down there. My wifes family is here in CO, so we will visit often.

That being said... We are most likely moving to Katy, any FABO members live near there? I am going to be looking for some new freinds... I got a lot of freinds in PA, CO and soon TX... (PA is where I grew up and lived for 27 years) so this will be my 3rd state to live in, and most likley not the last.

Thanks! I am excited about the new role, just wish it were in CO. Just another adventure in game of life.

I am originally from Sunbury PA. It is about and hour north of Harrisburg right along the Susquehanna.

Houston isn't so vad, heck the gulf is right there so great fishing and sea food abounds. Good luck, you will probly not regret it in the long run.

Good luck with the new venture.Hope things work out for you.More friends and more cars,lol.8)

Best of luck with your new career path. Texas is definitely not Colorado but, as said before, great seafood available in Houston.
Buy your new home on high ground, remember the damage did by Katrina a few years ago?

Our home search is keeping an eye on flood zones... At least we can drive up to CO and stay with my wifes family if another katrina hits.

that's how far away I am.Like Bud Light? I know a few people around who talk mopar hit me up. I, also a plumbing super new construction so I'm familiar with homes in the area and if you need any help with anything give me a shout and I will show you some tx. Hospitality we,re known for.

Cool, will do. Need to get settled before I can start getting Mopar chat going. Wife would be happier with me if I didn't run off to play the day I get there. But we both like beer, sorry not Bud light, I like darker beers. But we can still have a beer together!

We are looking at newer houses so hopefully we won't need any work done, but we will see what happens.

that's how far away I am.Like Bud Light? I know a few people around who talk mopar hit me up. I, also a plumbing super new construction so I'm familiar with homes in the area and if you need any help with anything give me a shout and I will show you some tx. Hospitality we,re known for.

Houston is growing rapidly. Katy was once a distant small town and now it is attached to the Big Town. Traffic sucks, like in any big city. Very hot and humid in summer - get ready for that. Winters are comfortable. There is no snow to shovel.

I highly recommend taking the wife to a little town near NASA called Kemah. It's right on the bay and it has a lot of shops and restaurants along with a few places to knock back some cold ones. It's not far up the road from Galveston. Now Galveston doesn't have the nicest beaches in the world, but they'll do if you need a one day getaway.

When you go north on I-45 towards Dallas, the scenery is much better. You get into the piney woods of east Texas and it's a lot like Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, etc. Houston itself isn't much to look at, but there are some nice places just a couple of hours away. If you ever venture over to San Antonio, the hill country offers a lot to see and do.

Cool, will do. Need to get settled before I can start getting Mopar chat going. Wife would be happier with me if I didn't run off to play the day I get there. But we both like beer, sorry not Bud light, I like darker beers. But we can still have a beer together!

We are looking at newer houses so hopefully we won't need any work done, but we will see what happens.

In that case, you'll have to drive out to Shiner Texas one Saturday.

We are looking at newer houses so hopefully we won't need any work done, but we will see what happens. What i was refering to is i,m in new construction. I plumb for trendmaker homes in cinco ranch in katy and rockwell custom homes.in woodcreek also Katy. if you need help finding your way anyplace I can help is what I was refering to. I like dark beer too. I drink a lot of st pauli girl and becks dark and seasonal sam adams. I just like beer.

I was in Houston last week trying to get to Bush Intl right after the snow fell. Black ice had nearly shut half the place down. I watched a pick up truck slide perpendicular to traffic and smack the retaining wall on 59. It was like ice capades

Hey Dart Guy, wecome to town [soon] . Will you be bring any classic a-bodies with you? Katy is real nice but before you buy you need to look at driving to and from work and try to make it an easy drive. took me an hour and half to get home tonite. and that was about twenty miles. Also what type of work will you be doing? You mentioned jobs, I know some people looking. My self included. Have a safe trip and i know your going to miss colo.

We are looking at newer houses so hopefully we won't need any work done, but we will see what happens. What i was refering to is i,m in new construction. I plumb for trendmaker homes in cinco ranch in katy and rockwell custom homes.in woodcreek also Katy. if you need help finding your way anyplace I can help is what I was refering to. I like dark beer too. I drink a lot of st pauli girl and becks dark and seasonal sam adams. I just like beer.

I see. We are going to be down there the first two weeks to look at homes in Katy. I will be there next week to meet some of my team and interview a few other folks to see if they are what I need for my team.

We are now looking at homes that are 2 to 3 years old and new ones to see what our options are. We figure we might save a few bucks if it is not brand new.

All the beer you listed, i like... I will miss the many Colorado micor brews. In particular Hazed and Infused... It is a hoppy beer, A freind was picking on me for saying that in a slightly beer induced haze. so I hear it a lot now.

I was in Houston last week trying to get to Bush Intl right after the snow fell. Black ice had nearly shut half the place down. I watched a pick up truck slide perpendicular to traffic and smack the retaining wall on 59. It was like ice capades

I head they got snow... It would be interesting to sit back and watch people try to drive in that... Being from PA, I am used to driving in snow until it literally stops my car/truck by being too deep...

Hey Dart Guy, wecome to town [soon] . Will you be bring any classic a-bodies with you? Katy is real nice but before you buy you need to look at driving to and from work and try to make it an easy drive. took me an hour and half to get home tonite. and that was about twenty miles. Also what type of work will you be doing? You mentioned jobs, I know some people looking. My self included. Have a safe trip and i know your going to miss colo.

We are looking at drive times and I am under the impression that Katy may be one of the better commutes...? I will probably do park and ride more then anything though. I suffer from road rage pretty badly, and I am not sure Houston is a good place for that.

Yes, I will be towing a completly tore down 69 340 dart. It is getting prepped for body work and paint... Worst time ever to move it. Especially bare steel in Houston... Rust is slow up here, but it will suffer there, so I got to act fast.

I work in engineering... Drafting for 13 years then promoted to Project Management. I was offered a job back in drafting to be a supervisor over a group of drafters wiht a piping discipline.
We are hiring draftsmen that know piping systems and 3D modeling. Is this up your alley at all?

Dart Guy, Katy to downtown area is the best drive now that I-10 has about 8 lanes each way. I know of a good paint shop that is inexpensive and loves working on mopars if you want to get your dart primed. And by pipeline i assume you are refering to oil and gas. i know water and sewer pipeline from the construction side for 35 years. Dealing with engineers and project managers. It will probable be a little diferent working here because in houston not too many people are conserned about the environment. If you will be dealing with contractors your going to have fun. any way if i can be of help with the body shop let me know.

Dart Guy, Katy to downtown area is the best drive now that I-10 has about 8 lanes each way. I know of a good paint shop that is inexpensive and loves working on mopars if you want to get your dart primed. And by pipeline i assume you are refering to oil and gas. i know water and sewer pipeline from the construction side for 35 years. Dealing with engineers and project managers. It will probable be a little diferent working here because in houston not too many people are conserned about the environment. If you will be dealing with contractors your going to have fun. any way if i can be of help with the body shop let me know.

That is why we are leaning towards Katy... Plus a bunch of my freinds from Colorado are going to the same area.

Yes, Natural Gas pipeline. Iw will be different for me, but I welcome the change for now. I am used to dealing with contractors. I am currently a PM and I am usually on the pohne with them daily. What side of the construction do you do?

i may take you up on the paint shop tip... It all depends on how thigns go when i get there, but I am hoping to prome it myself then have someone paint it, if my body work is good enough... If I suck, then I will have them do it all.

-
Back