How are you supposed to remove the speedometer cable

-

Sirsmiley9

Reaction score
I’m trying remove the transmission and one of the last parts I need to take off is this speedometer cable, but I thought it was just a nut holding it in to the transmission but it looks like it’s one whole piece. It’s on a 76 duster with a a833 with overdrive

06F2B322-D652-483F-9F48-33BA70C1E12C.jpeg

The large nut should come off and the cable should slide out of the transmission.

Alternatly... Removing the small bolt above it will allow you to remove the carrier that gear is attached to with the cable still attached.

Might use a tubbing wrench if the big nut is super tight

If it’s like any I’ve taken off, just unscrew the nut. It might be stuck in the adapter but it will come out

Hold the metal part of the cable shield right behind the nut, could be jammed up a little.

Not hiiacking thread but how do you release the other end on the speedo head? the white plastic piece?

White plastic end? Then I'll assume it's a '68 or later car... You push the tab on the side of the connector and pull it off. Might have to wiggle it a bit.

Not hiiacking thread but how do you release the other end on the speedo head? the white plastic piece?
Pinch the fragile clip that holds it to cluster. Its just a little hook. If you go on rockauto site and look at cable you will see what it looks like. A picture is worth a thousand profanities!

Oh **** forgot to comment on this I found I didn’t even see that the small bolt above it held the cable in cause I couldn’t take that big nut off, but that smaller one came off and everything came out easily

Oh **** forgot to comment on this I found I didn’t even see that the small bolt above it held the cable in cause I couldn’t take that big nut off, but that smaller one came off and everything came out easily
That's because the big 'nut' is crimped to the cable. It does not turn seperately from the cable housing.
This is correct on an original cable at least through 1967 models.

That's because the big 'nut' is crimped to the cable. It does not turn seperately from the cable housing.
This is correct on an original cable at least through 1967 models.
I wont argue because I aint seen it all but... I dont recall ever seeing a collector nut not floating on the sheathe.

I could be wrong. At some point I noticed in the shop manual the sequence was specific about removing the pinion housing before disconnecting the cable. Of course I can't find the page right now. :(

I don't have a '76 FSM. This was probably in '67 or '68 which I have print copies and use alot.
My '67 225/904 had the original cable and you can see how tight and almost continuous the threaded nut is to the crimped part of ferule. Sorry I can't find a pic with it removed, but it never spun free.
upload_2020-8-20_8-22-6.png
upload_2020-8-20_8-23-16.png

Not the best photo, but the nut on replacement cable overlaps the crimped housing.
upload_2020-8-20_8-28-6.png

(The frayed cloth end is a heat insulation sleeve)

-
Back