How Are You Using to Seal Threads of Water/Oil Gauge Sensors?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I imagine the sensors for electric gauges seek a ground through the same threads used to attach the to the block or manifold. I wonder if the Permatex #2 I use is inhibiting the ground path? What are you using the guarantee a leak free but satisfactorily functioning sensor? Thank you.

PST592, I use that **** on everything. Haven't had a fitting leak in 25+ years and that's important in my line of work!

A little liquid teflon. Most senders ground through the threads so not too much. The threads are tapered pipe thread and rarely leak even without sealant.

Super easy to tell. Get out your decent DVM and check resistance between the body of the sender and the cast iron or aluminum next to it.

There has been lots of back and forth about teflon tape etc causing a open cir.

Super easy to tell. Get out your decent DVM and check resistance between the body of the sender and the cast iron or aluminum next to it.

Agree with all the above. No matter what you use, just do a quick check with an ohmmeter to make sure your ground is good- it only takes a minute.

Just remember, NPT is a tapered thread. DO NOT go gorilla on it! You will end up cracking the manifold if it's aluminum or pull all of the treads off the sender if it cast iron. Ask me how I know this. LOL

Hey dana its hodge looking for 67 dart gt lower rocker clips I heard u might have 5 to sell me thanks

Megaloc sealer, use it on everything, does not get hard, seals.

megaloc.jpg

All of the new senders and/or sensors I have purchased recently had a very thin coating of a red colored sealant on their threads. Nothing more required.

Be VERY careful "snugging down" ANY sensor. They should not need to be very tight. You can easily damage a sensor over-tightening. Remember, they are A HOLLOW SHELL as in "temperature"

-
Back