how come

-

rlevs

Reaction score
okay i found a 70 dark blue Dart and how come every time i find a Dart something happens and i can't purchase it. this time well my son totaled my every day driver, he's okay and the car was not worth that much but now have to find some thing that gets good gas milage that i can drive the crap out of:banghead::eek:ops:

FWIW God watches over people with early A's. Maybe He's trying to tell you something. Glad the only thing hurt was sheet metal.

Glad you son is ok.
Since he broke your driver, and sure you insist, his "Shoes" are his daily driver.

FWIW God watches over people with early A's. Maybe He's trying to tell you something. Glad the only thing hurt was sheet metal.
This is sooo true x2, Glad the sheet metal was replaceable :icon_smi:

................................................................................................................................................................

Attachments

• howcome.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 471
  • dontknow.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 341
i found a 70 south of lansing MI. showed the wife and she liked it well son was on his way back from takeing his sister to cheer comp. looked down well my mercury tracer will cost to much to fix so looking for new daily driver. whats bad is the wife gets to drive the jeep Cherokee back and forth to work and i get her car to drive to school, i drive 55 miles a day and her buick gets 32 miles to the gallon. son is still bummed out about the car.

Glad you kid is ok. Funny how things happen and they do for a reason. There is a message in there somewhere. maybe it was time to get rid of the car that got wrecked? In any event you said you needed something that gets good gas mileage you drive the crap out of, why not a 70 Swinger??? If its a slant like mine you CAN drive the crap out if it AND get good mileage on the gas. I do!!!

Attachments

• new car pics 015.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 222
Glad you kid is ok. Funny how things happen and they do for a reason. There is a message in there somewhere. maybe it was time to get rid of the car that got wrecked? In any event you said you needed something that gets good gas mileage you drive the crap out of, why not a 70 Swinger??? If its a slant like mine you CAN drive the crap out if it AND get good mileage on the gas. I do!!!
I agree!!! Before my rearend crapped and I replaced it with the quickest easiest to source rear I could find, I got 25 mpg highway, 15 mpg city and 19 mix. DISCLAIMER: Highway speeds were kept at 55 mph. When I swapped rears, the new one had 3.55 gears vs. the original 2.76. Now I get 22 mpg highway, 17 mpg city and 18 mpg mix.

Why did the highway go down but the city went up? Excellent question. The highway went down in a textbook manner due to higher engine rpms (doing 56.134 mph on the highway confirmed with gps puts the speedo at 70 mph which is 2500 rpm vs 2000 rpm at the original 55 mph with 2.76 gears.) Simple enough. But why did the city go up? Also simple, my slant acts like a warmed over 318 now and accelerates sooooooo much easier. Therefore when taking off from a dead stop (ie. from a stoplight) I don't have to be in the gas pedal as hard to keep up with traffic.

So what am I really saying here? A '70 dart with a buzzin' half dozin' will do you great on gas mileage.

If you live in a rural area and have long flat roads and highways, 2.45-2.76 gears is what I would suggest. 0-60 mph time: 45 minutes. Great cruising characteristics, top speed: faster than you'll ever need to go.

If you live in a semi rural area like me, where the roads are similar to previously noted rural areas but you live close (within 20 miles) to a city that you travel to frequently, 2.76-3.23 gears. 0-60 mph time: 30 minutes. Fair cruising characteristics but highway rpm will be a little high. Top speed: still faster than you'll ever need to go.

If you live in a city where you rarely see anything over 55 mph, 3.55-3.91 gears. 0-60 mph time: 15 minutes (that competes with your avg. Honda). Horrible cruising characteristics over 55 mph and terrible highway mileage and your rpms will be wayyy to high over 55 mph). Top speed: 80-90mph.

Or to make life so simple, install over drive which costs time and money and cutting sheet metal, run 3.73 gears and enjoy everywhere.

THE BOTTOM LINE: These slants can churn excellent mpg's when they aren't overloaded in the city (big cars like later a bodies+numerically low gears=overload) and when the highway can keep the engine around where peak torque is in the power curve ~1700-1900 rpm. By the way, screw power with these engines, they don't have any. They got all the hot sticky bad@$$ torque you'll ever need though. :D

one i would not drive it to down town Detroit the car would come up missing, but the wife would drive it to work, sorry this car would not get driven during the winter to much salt on the roads in Michigan but spring summer and fall it would be all over the place, i my have found a 04 dodge sebering for 1000 lots of miles but newer motor.

It is called life.

Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.

Glad you son is OK. Looks like the Dart is out a way on the plans - just like mine. I'm saving now, for the third time, for paint. Every time I've had the money saved something happened that took the money for something else.

-
Back