How did nitrous get such a bad rep...?

-
J par , just out of curiosity, what does your car run in the 1/4 with or without the nitrous ? and what are you looking to run ?

LOL.... somehow I feel I started this thread. Anyways, I don't click on NOS threads but I was PM'd that I started this, so I clicked on it. I told that guy that I live in your head - rent free I might add. OK, I'll play :D
For most that scoff at cars on the juice feel about it like a sport player on the juice. I shouldn't need to say more, but everyone knows when a player is hitting the big time steroids, he's counted as a "cheat". If I have to explain further, you won't get it. Ok, I participated, I'm out - I (cough/gag) struggle to talk about NOS... LOL
WOW!!! I really had no idea you thought so much of yourself LOL....

J par , just out of curiosity, what does your car run in the 1/4 with or without the nitrous ? and what are you looking to run ?
These are good questions and I'm more than willing to answer, but if you could ask the same exact question on my nitrous A1A thread I'd appreciate it as this isn't really about me and I didn't start the thread about me.
I was just wondering about the stigma around this particular power adder as opposed to any other power adder. For some reason people think that adding nitrous is different than adding turbochargers or pro chargers? One is cheating but the other isn't. I guess because the factory made ProCharger superchargers and those kind of things Factory and they couldn't figure a way probably to safely let people use nitrous I'm pretty sure LOL... Anyways please ask that question on my other thread and I'd be glad to get into depth with it..

The way I look at nitrous is it is the least expensive of the power adders. Just like any other area of the engine, when you use the cheapest available part (rockers, lifters, etc.) you will be ridiculed for being a cheapskate. I think nitrous kinda falls in this category. Like “Build a real motor and you won’t need NO2 you cheap bastard”. Always comes back to the money. My $.02.

J-par. Here is my take. Only babies need bottles.” Lol! It was a small sticker I had on my dash back in the late 80’s early 90’s with my Demon.

my drag race tail was a now good friend of mine had a 67Dart. He then was my arch nemesis. The Dart was a Ratty thing to say the least. But it could run. He also loved “the juice.” Gary was very good at taking garbage parts and making them work extremely well. The man was king of the street by us in Connecticut. (New London/Groton area) Anyhow my car ran 12.2 at New England Dragway almost every time. At a MoPar weekend he and I lined up on this Saturday. I won Saturday’s race. He’s so mad he drives 3 hrs home, gets his bottle and tweeks the line to relining up on Sunday’s event. He beat me by like a tenth of a second on nitrous. He wins the event and I’m second place. Because he was there on Saturday, there was no tech inspect for Sunday. That was the scene back in the day. 5.0L Mustangs, nitrous and flowmaster systems. The guys then with nitrous were just like the Mustang guys.... full of them selves. That stigma has kinda carried thru the years. Nitrous kinda died but is making a comeback. If done right it’s is just as good as a turbo or blower... but affordable. Done wrong and your pistons have holes in them.
Okay- off the soap box. Thanks for listening.

The way I look at nitrous is it is the least expensive of the power adders. Just like any other area of the engine, when you use the cheapest available part (rockers, lifters, etc.) you will be ridiculed for being a cheapskate. I think nitrous kinda falls in this category. Like “Build a real motor and you won’t need NO2 you cheap bastard”. Always comes back to the money. My $.02.
Buy all the stuff to do it right and take the time to install it and report back to me how cheap it was and how easy it was...

J-par. Here is my take. Only babies need bottles.” Lol! It was a small sticker I had on my dash back in the late 80’s early 90’s with my Demon.

my drag race tail was a now good friend of mine had a 67Dart. He then was my arch nemesis. The Dart was a Ratty thing to say the least. But it could run. He also loved “the juice.” Gary was very good at taking garbage parts and making them work extremely well. The man was king of the street by us in Connecticut. (New London/Groton area) Anyhow my car ran 12.2 at New England Dragway almost every time. At a MoPar weekend he and I lined up on this Saturday. I won Saturday’s race. He’s so mad he drives 3 hrs home, gets his bottle and tweeks the line to relining up on Sunday’s event. He beat me by like a tenth of a second on nitrous. He wins the event and I’m second place. Because he was there on Saturday, there was no tech inspect for Sunday. That was the scene back in the day. 5.0L Mustangs, nitrous and flowmaster systems. The guys then with nitrous were just like the Mustang guys.... full of them selves. That stigma has kinda carried thru the years. Nitrous kinda died but is making a comeback. If done right it’s is just as good as a turbo or blower... but affordable. Done wrong and your pistons have holes in them.
Okay- off the soap box. Thanks for listening.
That was a cool story and what I got out of it was nitrous for the win LOL...:thumbsup:..

Buy all the stuff to do it right and take the time to install it and report back to me how cheap it was and how easy it was...
I’ll guran-damn-tee you it’s cheaper than a roots blower or procharger. Might be close to turbo money if you use junkyard parts and can do all the fab work yourself.

I wonder if Nitrous would put a 9 sec car in the 8's. LOL or an 11 sec car in the 10's.
that's my thought, it's just another tool.
kinda like the blue pill. LOL

I’ll guran-damn-tee you it’s cheaper than a roots blower or procharger. Might be close to turbo money if you use junkyard parts and can do all the fab work yourself.
Cheaper than a Roots blower and a procharged system with the carburetor definitely, but still not cheap. There are cheap kits don't get me wrong, but they don't come with quite a number of things to make the whole combination run correctly..

It can also put an 11 second car on the trailer.
I put quite a few 11-second cars on their trailers at the Mopar Nationals this last year in the stick shift class because we know that real racers have three pedals, but that was naturally aspirated...
And also bracket racing...

Personally I think I have a pretty good setup for it and have done all my homework and preparation.
Along these lines, can you fill in the blanks here for me on your self proclaimed “slowest stoker motor on FABO”.

Ring gap-
Rod bearing clearance-
Main bearing clearance-
Piston material,ie 2618 vs 4032-

• It for sure can be done without blowing up a motor...
  • Guy here dropped from 12.3's to 10 flat on a shot
  • No doubt it works. Steroids work too... but if someone sets a record hitting home runs on the juice, does it count?
  • I think if you use it, you just got to use it. You just got to know some will love it, and others will says it's cheap - spray a civic into 10's - who cares. You have to accept you won't change their minds. I fit in this category - lots of things are fake and I think it's fake power. Genie in a bottle, empty bottle no genie :D

These are good questions and I'm more than willing to answer, but if you could ask the same exact question on my nitrous A1A thread I'd appreciate it as this isn't really about me and I didn't start the thread about me.
I was just wondering about the stigma around this particular power adder as opposed to any other power adder. For some reason people think that adding nitrous is different than adding turbochargers or pro chargers? One is cheating but the other isn't. I guess because the factory made ProCharger superchargers and those kind of things Factory and they couldn't figure a way probably to safely let people use nitrous I'm pretty sure LOL... Anyways please ask that question on my other thread and I'd be glad to get into depth with it..
Is your A1A thread on this site?

895D5A4A-9427-400F-9FED-633AE12AFE24.png
We set a land speed record on giggle gas. And trust me @318willrun it counted.

• It for sure can be done without blowing up a motor...
  • Guy here dropped from 12.3's to 10 flat on a shot
  • No doubt it works. Steroids work too... but if someone sets a record hitting home runs on the juice, does it count?
  • I think if you use it, you just got to use it. You just got to know some will love it, and others will says it's cheap - spray a civic into 10's - who cares. You have to accept you won't change their minds. I fit in this category - lots of things are fake and I think it's fake power. Genie in a bottle, empty bottle no genie :D
Ya but sometimes it beats a $8,500.00 pro charger or the plumbing issues with a turbo or twin turbo set ups.

My son just got done plumbing and setting up turbos on his Honda Civic. he formerly had one with a Roots blower Factory on it. last fall he bought two Roots blowers and sold them both but has a friend that wants him to take one back. It's waiting for him. He just bought a used nitrous kit but really what he wants it for is to go ahead and put the Roots blower on and have all three. And the nitrous kit is just too cool at all down LOL..

The first issue is it’s easy to cheat with. Lots of guys have used it to cheat, so that kinda tarnishes it’s reputation, even though it’s not the fault of nitrous.

The other reason why nitrous gets a bad rap is because it exposes poor tuners. All power adders have a pretty narrow tune up window, but nitrous is pretty unforgiving if you are not careful. It looks simple so guys just don’t pay attention and it burns them.

It’s always better if you are going to use nitrous every time you make a pass to buy your cam for nitrous. It won’t run as well N\A but it makes the tune up window a bit wider on the bottle.

Sorry questions added In Quote above.
I have a thread on here call nitrous A1A and it's on the Race part of the Forum..
I guess since I started this thread I have to kind of keep it on task here and that is why the stigma around nitrous as compared to turbo or ProCharging or root charging? Again I'm not afraid to answer any questions it's just trying to keep it's right on subject..

-
Back