how did you get your mopar?

-

74dodge

Reaction score
anyone got any funny or interesting stories about how they came across there mopar?mine had been sitting on a friends property for about a year and was in decent overall shape just needed a tune up after sitting for that long and a good wash and she turned out to be in better shape then i had thought lucky me eh? lol i know mines not very interesting but i love hearing about how people came across there cars.theres gotta be some good stories out there lets hear em

A friend of mine (here in Florida) races Mopars and his son asked him to buy an A body he saw from Colorado. The son could not get off work to go out there so my friend headed out there to purchase it and return. Well by the time he got back with the car his son had purchased one locally and now did not have the $$ to pay his dad. Furious with his son he calls me asking if I know anyone that might be interested in this car as now he is in a bind because he needs to order parts for his own car. He asked for $7500 which is what he paid but no luck. My wife said see if he is willing to take $6000, he said okay and I got the car, he was able to pay for his parts, and he had his son move out! Almost everybody is happy :cheers:.

My 67 GTX was sitting across the street from a job I was doing in 1995. All summer I would go over there and run numbers, check the car over and build my desire for the car. One day I decided that I would drive my 64 Belvedere to work and offer to trade even up. The GTX had a spun bearing in the motor and mine was a running, driving 440 powered terror. One look at the 64 and an offer to trade even up was all it took to bring it home. I couldn't call my flatbed buddy quick enough to come get it!!

Wendys 66 Cuda was sitting in a field since 1978 when a small fender bender with a T'bird took it off the road. I was building a shop for my buddy and asked about the car, and he told me he had been trying to get the car for years from the original owner, who was 83 at the time. I was told by my buddy..."If you can get the car, you're a better man than me, but good luck"!! I went up to the apartment where the old man was living and asked about the car, he said..." If you want the car, I'll take $400.00 for it". Needless to say, I bought it, and it was the first car we refurbished in my buddys new shop. That was in 1996.

Nellas 67 Cuda was sitting next to the original owners house and I had stopped several times but no one was ever home. One day I got lucky and the owner answered the door. He told me he had turned down several offers of $5000.00 for the car and that he fielded more than 10 inquiries a week for more than 20 years. I told him about my plan to make it Nellas, and that I had a legitimate cash offer of $2500.00 if he ever wanted to sell it. I didn't even get home and there was already a message on my machine from him saying that he liked me and was sure that the car would go to a good home so I could have it. That was in 2001. We have been by there numerous times to show them what we've done with the car, and they come out with cameras in hand and photo it front to back, up and down. They love this car as much as we do, and they know they did the right thing making it available to Nella. They know it's loved and has a good home!!

Thats the story behind 3 of my cars, although I have owned over 90 cars, these are my current rides!!! Good stories all!!! Geof

I just came home one day and said,"Mom, look what followed me home." They've been seeming to follow me every so often since that first one.........

Back in 78 I was at the Pomona swap meet (LA county fair grounds) when I saw my dream car-1970 Challenger 440+6 4speed conv. For sale. 3000.00 Bought it then and there. Story was the seller was getting married and needed to raise money for a new car-a Pinto Wagon! I kid you not.

I had just sold my 69 Mach 1 and had always wanted a Duster 340. It was 1993 one of the booms for musclecars so prices weren't cheap. I looked in the local paper and at that time there might have been two musclecars for sale when you looked. I figured a 1 in a million chance a Duster would be for sale in the paper. There it was 1971 Duster 340. I had to meet the guy to find his place out in the sticks. When we pulled up I saw it, Sassy grass, go wing, dog dishes, all stock! It needed a resto to make it right but everything was there, Thermoquad, exhaust manifolds, Matching #'s. He wanted $5500 but he agreed on $3000 if he took out his stereo. I told him yank it out and bought it. Just in time too, his plans were cutting it up and hot rodding it and couldn't care less about the original parts. It's the longest i've owned any Musclecar and I've had several. It's a keeper!

Attachments

• DSC00595.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 319
Then in 1986 I heard of a red conv for sale around the corner from were I worked, guy did not know what it was other than it was 200.00. So at lunch I went and looked. It was a 64 Valiant slant 6 with a four speed. Kinda like my Challenger but not. Both red 4 speed converts but one with the big engine and the other with the small engine. I had to have it. Enjoyed driving them both across the USA.

my father-inlaw called me to tell me there was a garage sale i needed to go to around the corner from his house. stopped by to find a plumcrazy 72 swinger for sale on a driveway along with all kinds of garagesale crap. asked how much for the car ? he gave the price i told him ok ill take it and he almost backed out of it said he didnt really want to sell it. it took about an hour to talk him into selling it to me.

My brother use to own a convenience store/gas station. PO of my car use to frequent his store and heard that he was into mopars and asked if he was interested in buying a 73 340 Dart Sport. My brother went and looked at the car, decided it wasn't for him and passed the info on to me. I bought it the next day.

My 69 GTX clone/ originally a 383 sport satellite, I found in a local newspaper. Didn't have the cash, but I had a nice 90 Mustang GT 5.0 5 spd. I acquired on a trade. Called the guy up and asked if he was interested in an even trade. He was interested. I was shocked! I told him I'd be down in a 1/2 hr. Drove the Mustang to his storage facility, he liked what he saw, we exchanged titles and I drove the 69 home.

The 77 Aspen R/T I bought from a friend of ours whom bought the car from my brother back in the 80's. Has been sitting in his pole building since 90. He needed the dollars to dump into his 65 Coronet 500 project.

All 3 cars were within a 20 mile radius of my home.

I was living in Phoenix and my wifes car had been stolen from in front of our apartment. We had only been living there for a couple weeks. I was on my way to work about a week and a half later. I passed our stolen car and chased them down. The driver of our car ran into a palm tree and took off running. The cops caught him and we got our car back. I sold it for $1500. Looked in the paper and found a 70 dart swinger for a grand. Bought the car and drove it for 2 years through college. Now its in the serious rebuild stage. Hope to have it on the road next year.

When I turned 16, I was looking for a 66 Chevy Nova. I was absolutely in love with the 66-67 Chevy Novas...But had no luck finding one, and my dads friend Gary said, I know of an old lady selling a 1970 Dodge Dart. I didn't even know what a Dart was, or what "Mopar" was. So, I go look at it and I fell in love first time I saw it. Paint was that grandma green on green, with a nice running slant 6. Whole car was cherry, no rust, good paint, and minimal dings. I bought it for 2 grand and I was happy. :) 8 years later I still have it, and I've done so many things to it, but it's all stripped for body work and paint. :)

My scamp was brought home to me as a father son project for my 20th bday. It was such a suprise. Trailered it back from NYC while I was at work. It was A rust bucket me and my father have done a lot of work. Its been exactly 2 years and 3 days since I have had it. Ill never forget it he said "happy birthday son, now we have a project to work on" ! I couldn't be happier still. Im hooked on mopars for life!

Well, some of you might have heard mine when all of us young guns shared our stories, but I'll remind everyone how i got my goofy little rampage.

A while back, long while back, my godparents owned a 82/83 (don't remember which) dodge rampage. It was really my godmother's trucklet and she loved it! She drove it to all of the cruises and everyone was always drawn to it because of how different it was. They called it the "dragon wagon". It had some oriental themed decals on it and such... only a couple of them. Either way, one day when they were out and about, they got hit at an intersection when some dumb blond on a cell phone blew the light. If anyone has ever owned an 80s chrysler... L-bodies particularly, you would know that they are very fast to total them. I mean, I can get a rust free rampage for 2-3 grand, running and able to pass inspection! Anyway, they totaled her little red trucklet. Later on, months later, my godfather got her a second one. This one was a silver and black 84, rarer than the last one. The plan was to strip down the rust free body, get it painted black, and get some true-fire painted on the top of the hood... between the body lines. Everything was going to be blacked out on this one. To make a long story short my godfather grew very ill, and he had always had health problems. He passed away in may of 2006, right before my 8th grade graduation. The rampage then sat in the garage for a few years until now... within the last couple of years, I have adopted this little Mopar Misfit as my own. My first mopar project. While it's not an A-body, and I'm going to be building it in my style as opposed to the plan my godfather had, I'm still going to finish what he started. My godmother never even drove the 84, and she was never as connected to it as the red truck. Now that I have it, I love it and have some big plans for it... which include dual weber carbs and a 5 speed, and custom body work and paint scheme. Starting in 2011, this little trucklet is going to start a huge transformation. Keep an eye out for it. I'm gonna be "king of the L-bodies." :toothy10:

No big story here. Bought my 67 BB barracuda off my brother 16 years ago. Longest I've ever ownd any car. Probley never sell it now.

I bought mine on a whim off ebay for $200 site unseen. I actually didnt win the listing but the winning buyer backed out. So I drove 9hrs to get it. I get there and its sitting on top of a hill with a steep grade about 2 football fields up. No brakes. Too steep up to back the trailer up so we had to the car to the front of the truck and use the truck for brakes to stop it. This was my first project and I bit off alot with it.

I aquired my '66 Barracuda from my cousin who owns a body shop. The owner had brought it in for minor rust repair and complete paint. My cousin took it in as a filler job between his regular collision work, he worked on it on and off for a few weeks and hadn't from the owner. He tucked it away in the corner of his shop awaiting some kind of payment to be able to continue and never heard from the owner again. After a two year period and hearing nothing from the owner after making several attempts to contact him my cousin called me up and said If you want it, come and get it, I need the room in the shop. I was there that afternoon, loaded it on his rollback and never looked back. It took a year and a half to get the title but it was well worth it. My son and I are in the process of a complete restoration, hope to have it on the road next spring.

In 1979 my Dad owned his own auto mechanic business, and one day the orginal owner pulled in, and the car was burning oil. The guys buddy did a valve job on the 273 that went bad. The guy was pissed off, and as a joke my dad said he would give him $400.00 for it, the guy says SOLD! My dad fixed it up for my mom, who hated it, because it was too fast too loud and the young guys kept crowding around it at the grocery stores, that I remember as a kid. Finally at 16 I begged my dad for the Dart, and he sold it to me for $1.00. He knew I would take good care of the car, as he always did his. So it has been mine for 25 years now.

got it from a girl friends little step brothers grandfather. Bought it new, he tore it apart to make a race car in 70 never finished it. 200 dollars for 3701 miles 68 340 4 speed fastback formula s

Got mine back in 1980, when I was 15, my Dad bought it from a co-worker for $500.00. It was my first car, still have it today, I'll never get rid of it!

I got my '68 Newport while I was working at the local parts store when I was 18, I helped an elderly couple who has a 72-73 new yorker and showed an interest in them and told them about how I love mopars, they came back a week or so latter and said we have a car we would like to give you, I was a little stunned but after work I went down to there house and saw her. The only thing I had to do was change a starter so I grabbed one from home and swapped it out the next morning. Dewy told me to meet him at the DMV in 3 days time and let me tell you it was the most agonizing 3 days! Anyway we meet and he gifted me the title and I have been loving my Newport ever since. View attachment 062307 004.jpg

That was my second mopar, my first one was my '78 aspen se which my pop bought at a tow action when I was 8-9 and I have been having fun working on ever since. I did drive it for a total of 2 weeks when I was in high school and have built a few cars in between lolView attachment 100_0331.jpg

My swinger I had my ex gf buy and I was working on it for her it turned into a huge project and is mostly drivable now, I kept the car and lost the girl and couldn't be happier!

View attachment 1030101531.jpg

............I traded a 60s camaro RS/SS 4 a 70 swinger 340 auto 3.23 suregrip.........then later i traded a 76 dart sport with a slant 6 4 a 69 super bee 383 4 gear........kim......

My dad had mentioned a 69 valiant 100 on my 14 th b day,HE GAVE ME A BAG FULL OF 40 $\IN QUARTERS so I took the go cart down to homers gulf station for a tank of gas and there she was....I asked old homer what was up with the jewel and he said the junk yard would give him 30$ for "It" this was a no brainer,no dents and very little rust,31$ later in quarters and she was mine,so much for playing galaga at 7/11 that day :) as my mom got home from work the tow truck was showing up with my first car :) this was gittin uglee at this point mom was sayin no way and I was sayin just putter there ronnie.Ronnie mays was drivin in homers tow truck,he had a 69 gtx and bought my dads best friends 65 coronet 500 for his son, I gotta say chris got one of the most beautifully kept car i have ever seen in my life,he got John donahues 65 coronet,candy apple red 440 interceptor,dana rear and deserved it chris was a good kid...just sayin...but his daddy dropped the valiant in my drive while mom was sayin no way and with his words to mom he made it ok and I got to keep the ol thing.Tyml8r

-
Back