How did you pick your torque converter?

-
I made the mistake of buying a higher stall when I went thru the trans, with the "intention" of rebuilding the engine with big ported heads, 2.5 - 6K cam shafts, open exhaust. Then I just never did. I drove the vehicle with a loose converter and stock engine and it took all the torque out of the lower rpm range of the engine and made the vehicle very sluggish.

It's also common for the convertor companies to hear "drag race" when you drive the car on the street for 5K miles a year and race it once a summer. As Joe said - be honest. I've sent 4 Dynmaics back over the years for being too loose because they heard "drag race" when it was primarilly a street car and felt like a turd and wasted a lot of gas making noise and heat when cruising around. Most were the "9.5 - 3500-3800 flash stall" that I had them tighten to 2500-2800.

i'm not all that up on the 300 cratebut sounds like you'll be fine though with a stock converter for now to get you by. may not be 100% ideal but should work ok.. if your going 4 speed down the road i wouldn't bother buying a good converter at all..

I would not put an old converter behind a fresh rebuild trans.
I would have a converter built for your future plans, and run it.
Camshafts are alot easier to change out than trans.

Thanks for the input...

Thsi is a street driven car that I'd like to bring to the strip a few times/summer...so it's not necessarily going to be the hottest small block on the planet. However, I would prefer a well matched, good performing unit so I'm leaning towards holding off for now...

...so what would happen if I ran the stock 318 torque converter? Would the car be drivable?
It would be drivable, but sluggish (depending on the cam/compression/ low end torque), that's all.

It's a pain to swap the converter after the engine and trans are already in, though. Not impossible, but a pain.

-
Back